SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

View Poll Results: How many HD Media Extenders do you plan to purchase?
None 8 5.16%
1 58 37.42%
2 59 38.06%
3 21 13.55%
4 3 1.94%
5 3 1.94%
More than 5 3 1.94%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Sage Expert

I'm not sure im interested in any of them at the moment. I THINK, after several hours of work, I have hardware accelerated x264 playback working on my client PC. So I dont have a need for one of these now. But, assuming these new extenders work well, each new TV I get will be accompanied by one.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

As I recall from the photos...

Back when the photos of the HD box were linked on the forums, there was speculation about the OEM manufacturer. Some folks had looked up the OEM and as I recall there was a photo of the back panel of a potential device that indicated 20W for power usage.

Of course this is all speculation, but power should be less than a PC capable of playing back HD content comsumes.

DQ
Headless Backend AMD 5050e (XP Pro), 4G Memory, 3TB, storage, Sage 6.5, R5000, 2 HD PVR, CFI ESATA enclosure (3 TB), UNRAID server with ~26TB and growing 3 HD300 extenders and 1 HD200 cranking away over Gigabit ethernet
Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualQuad View Post
Back when the photos of the HD box were linked on the forums, there was speculation about the OEM manufacturer. Some folks had looked up the OEM and as I recall there was a photo of the back panel of a potential device that indicated 20W for power usage.

Of course this is all speculation, but power should be less than a PC capable of playing back HD content comsumes.

DQ
It could be 20W peak usage. Shoud be much lower if its idling.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:07 PM
SageTVaholic

I love my dedicated sage client but when I made the move to HD I had just as many headaches as I had successes (not all Sage's fault). If this box is a plug 'n play solution for smooth, painless, HD playback and has reasonable format compatibility put me down for one.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
It could be 20W peak usage. Shoud be much lower if its idling.
That is the exact reason I don't worry about turning off my MVP's. If you are concerned ab out turning off the HD extender, my recommendation is replace a regular light bulb with a compact flourencent and you will already be saving the amount of money it costs to run that HD extender 24/7.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Please let the HD extender be the answer to all my troubles. I cant sleep just thinking about this home theater pc stuff!

Need help big time.

Mo!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yup. The 20W reference is correct if the final hardware stays true to what was shown. Here is a copy of a picture where i tried to match the OEM & the picture taken of box at Sage stand (thread/post):

PS: The credit of the actual pictures goes to others in the original thread
Old 06-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Sage Icon

I'm going to want 2 eventually. 1 immediately to upgrade/replace my MVP, and another one when my checkbook says I can afford it to replace my Roku Photobridge as long as it works as well or better than the Roku.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Sage User

Hrmmmm.... This + LCD Monitor

So, the DVI-D output should work with an plain ol' PC LCD monitor correct? Might make for an interesting project to add TV to the Kitchen (ethernet but no cable drop).
Old 06-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratty View Post
So, the DVI-D output should work with an plain ol' PC LCD monitor correct? Might make for an interesting project to add TV to the Kitchen (ethernet but no cable drop).
Most "plain ol pc monitors" don't have speakers so keep that in mind...
Old 06-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Okay Sage thats about 265 HD Extenders and counting so far... hope you guys are ready for the influx of orders ....

Clients: 2 HD Extenders
Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
Most "plain ol pc monitors" don't have speakers so keep that in mind...
But some do...

I've been thinking about this for awhile too. Without the need of a local tuner, it opens up a lot of interesting "LCD monitor-as-a-TV" possibilities, so long as you can run this HD extender in the native resolution of said LCD monitor. I wouldn't want to watch it interpolated.

Robert
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Well, it's coming down to the wire. Less than a week before the end of the second quarter and we still haven't heard anything.

I'd like to be one of the first to get one.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

I hate to say it, though sagetv was probably the best PVR software and media center application compared to EVERYTHING else I have tried, I abandoned ship. Because of the stupid cable companies it is hard to get what you want and what you want to record especially when it comes to HD channels. I have two comcast dvr boxes, and their easy usage makes it hard to go back to computer pvrs. I also bought a networked dvd player for playing back dvd files etc. I am hoping something will make me come back to sage, but I will have to wait I guess

Mo!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
SageTVaholic

I can see your point. I've had on and off reservations about continuing to use SageTV. They've almost gone away since I bought my MVP. My only real issue is my server is not powerful enough to transcode most HD media I've run into. Even after I've overclocked my X2 3800 to 2.4Ghz. I'd like to get an HDHR but the transcoding thing has stopped me from doing so. I'm happy the way it is for the time being. I don't currently have an HDTV so not being able to view HD channels isn't hurting me yet. I do plan to buy one hopefully by the end of the year. So if the HD extender isn't out by then it will become a problem for me.

Right now I'm just anxiously biding my time.

With my current setup I have two Scientific Atlanta STB's hooked up to my two tuners on my server via S-video. They work and look great compared to the signal quality I was getting through direct coax to the tuners. My only wish was that I could somehow get the DD signal out of the STB's. Other than that I'm relatively happy with what I have. I might look into the Cox DVR but I really like the smart recording in SageTV. I would miss it if I switched to something else that didn't have such a feature.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I can see your point. I've had on and off reservations about continuing to use SageTV. They've almost gone away since I bought my MVP. My only real issue is my server is not powerful enough to transcode most HD media I've run into. Even after I've overclocked my X2 3800 to 2.4Ghz. I'd like to get an HDHR but the transcoding thing has stopped me from doing so. I'm happy the way it is for the time being. I don't currently have an HDTV so not being able to view HD channels isn't hurting me yet. I do plan to buy one hopefully by the end of the year. So if the HD extender isn't out by then it will become a problem for me.

Right now I'm just anxiously biding my time.

With my current setup I have two Scientific Atlanta STB's hooked up to my two tuners on my server via S-video. They work and look great compared to the signal quality I was getting through direct coax to the tuners. My only wish was that I could somehow get the DD signal out of the STB's. Other than that I'm relatively happy with what I have. I might look into the Cox DVR but I really like the smart recording in SageTV. I would miss it if I switched to something else that didn't have such a feature.
I'm willing to tough it out for one reason. My biggest issue that sage solves is the ability to record everything in one location and watch in multiple locations. I record everything in my closet and it's available to watch in any of 6 rooms. Before sage, I had to either record everything on multiple DVRs (wasting space) or watch it in one room only, regardless of where I wanted to watch it.

I know there are other video distribution methods available. Sage is the easiest/best thus far.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Sage Expert

Interesting that the x2 3800 is giving you problems transcoding. I have a single core 3200 + and it transcodes just fine. However, once I get above that, then I have problems...I can not record 2 HD programs and transcode an HD program at the same time... I've been looking at what to upgrade to...I have a 939 socket MOBO...so, all I can really only go to a 4000 + without a new MOBO... (maybe some software could get me to X2...but not sure that helps) I think when the new HD extender comes out, then many of the power problems will be solved. I've been able to record 2 HD shows using HDHR without a problem at all..and I think the HD extender will use very little CPU power.

I know Sage told us in 2Q, 2007....and I'm expecting them to keep their word...so, soon, I hope..

Gary Ellis
Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I can see your point. I've had on and off reservations about continuing to use SageTV. They've almost gone away since I bought my MVP. My only real issue is my server is not powerful enough to transcode most HD media I've run into.
I'm taking bets on what comes first... sub $100.00 quad-core CPUs or the HD Extender?

Seriously though, if the HD Extender is not out by July 22nd when the Intel Price drop comes around I will probably just buy the quad-core Q6600 at $266.00 and not replace the MVP I currently have, buy 2 more for the kids rooms and an HD Extender "when" it comes out.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
I'm taking bets on what comes first... sub $100.00 quad-core CPUs or the HD Extender?

Seriously though, if the HD Extender is not out by July 22nd when the Intel Price drop comes around I will probably just buy the quad-core Q6600 at $266.00 and not replace the MVP I currently have, buy 2 more for the kids rooms and an HD Extender "when" it comes out.
I keep hearing that price, but isn't that for quantities of 1000 cpus? meaning the vendor you buy from will get that price if they buy 1000. But if you only buy one (I assume you only need 1) your price will be a bit higher than $266. The vendor needs to make a little profit, right?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Sage Icon

Might be 280-290, but I can live with that for 4 cores