SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Sage User

Display Windows desktop via SageTV?

My wife teaches foreign languages from home and uses a laptop for her presentations and teaching aids. I would like for her to be able to display the Windows XP desktop (and if possible output audio) to a large TV connected to SageTV via a wired mediaMVP. I know it is possible to connect directly using S-Video and audio cables but the TV is at the opposite end of the room and accessing the connections at the back is not easy. I was wondering whether it might be possible using SageTV somehow. Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Presumably you could take the laptop's S-Video output and pipe it into one of the capture cards on your Sage server, then watch that input in Live TV mode on the MVP. The drawback is that Live TV mode isn't real-time; it lags by a couple of seconds, which could prove extremely annoying if you're trying to use the laptop interactively while looking at the big screen.

I think the best experience would come from connecting directly to the TV. If the TV's inputs are hard to reach, leave the cables connected at that end once you have them set up, and just connect/disconnect the laptop end as needed.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Sage Icon

Why not show the client on the desktop? You can get way long VGA cables for cheap nowdays. Just use min/max commands to determine if desktop is shown or not.

Maybe there is something I'm not getting here. ???
Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

this sounds like the wrong direction to me for what it sounds like you want to accomplish. I can see the attraction of using the MVP wirelessly, but spending a few extra $'s on an extremely long video out that is left in place is probably best/easiest.

dont inflict a more complicated system on people that won't be able to support it? :/

Cory