SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Sage User

HD Extender VS SD Extender VS PC

I currently have a media extender in our bedroom. Recently we purchased a 37" LCD HD TV. Since then, I've noticed how crappy of a SD image it shows. Our server with component out shows a much better standard def picture than the media extender. I usume this is for a number of reasons (component out -> upscaling, anti aliasing etc).

So, I'm faced with either building a small pc for the bedroom or using the HD extender. I'm a little concerned about image quality though. I know if I build a PC, I'll be able to get pretty good image quality ... even on standard def.

My question is for those that have the HD extender. Is is worth going and spending the extra $150 to build a pc or is the HD extender up to the challenge?

Thanks!!!

Kirk

Last edited by kirkb; 01-04-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have both the media extender and the HD extender. The HD extender produces a much better signal - I run it all the time via the HDMI at 1080p.

Are you using the S-video or composite output from the media extender? The s-video works better.

Also, make sure that your video signal at your server is adequate for your analog channels.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkb View Post
I currently have a media extender in our bedroom. Recently we purchased a 37" LCD HD TV. Since then, I've noticed how crappy of a SD image it shows. Our server with component out shows a much better standard def picture than the media extender. I usume this is for a number of reasons (component out -> upscaling, anti aliasing etc).

So, I'm faced with either building a small pc for the bedroom or using the HD extender. I'm a little concerned about image quality though. I know if I build a PC, I'll be able to get pretty good image quality ... even on standard def.

My question is for those that have the HD extender. Is is worth going and spending the extra $150 to build a pc or is the HD extender up to the challenge?

Thanks!!!

Kirk

I'll be able to tell you once the the second batch of HD Extenders come out. I have the Hauppauge MediaMVP SD extender and a HTPC with a Radeon HD2600 Pro. The Hauppauge extender looks like crap IMO. However, my HTPC looks flawless on my 55" HDTV - I can't believe any product will produce a better picture. So my level of quality and expectation is high. If the HD Extender gets close to my HTPC, I would consider that very good quality.

-Robert
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Sage User

My source video is 2x directv stb s-video out to pvr-150s. The extender is also s-video.

I'm looking to build a new server based on quad core amd phenom >1 TB HD and 2x AvertTV PCIe Combo Card (total of 2xHD 2xSD inputs). This will drive my two DirecTV boxes and give me 2 OTA HD feeds. Then I can make my current server a client for the LCD panel in my bedroom. This should give me the picture quality I want.

My other option is the HD extender. If I were to go with that, I could probably just add a couple of HDHomeRuns to my current config.

I'm really just hesitant to go with the extender since I wont have as much control over it as I would a PC. I guess on any given day, that could be a good thing.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

extender WAF is very high...
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Sage Expert

I had been using 1 SD extender and 2 PC placeshifter clients, and have replaced one of the PC's with a SD extender, and one with the HD extender. The SD extender works pretty well for smaller TV's and streaming TV or DVD content. The HD extender looks as good as the PC I was running on my 60" HD tv using HDMI. The extenders are much nicer because of low noise. With no fans, they run very quite and for my wife, it is like using a normal DTV reciever. The only issue with the HD recieved, is since it is new, it has a few querks that are still being fixed by sage. The only issues I currently have with the HD extender, is the remote signal is a little weak, and it has issues with some DIVX/XVID/X264 videos, but MPEG2 and DVDs play without issue. I am going to add another HD extender once they ship again to replace the one on my other 50" HD TV and move it to another bedroom with a smaller TV to improve the picture quality and get 5.1 audio, since the SD extender only has stereo...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

So is an HD extender any better for SDTV than the SD extender? I don't have an extender yet but I am thinking of picking one up. Right now I only do SDTV and I don't really see switching to HD anytime soon. I know with the HD extender the server won't need to convert videos to .mpg, but is that worth the difference in price or are there other advantages?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats View Post
So is an HD extender any better for SDTV than the SD extender? I don't have an extender yet but I am thinking of picking one up. Right now I only do SDTV and I don't really see switching to HD anytime soon. I know with the HD extender the server won't need to convert videos to .mpg, but is that worth the difference in price or are there other advantages?
I would say so. I never noticed that my MVP's were as dark as they are I just ignored it. But now with my STX-HD100's the picture is much brighter. Also I get the advantage of not having to transcode any of my videos.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Yes, the HD extender is better than the MVP extender, even for SD playback. My understanding is that the HD100's decoder chip produces better output, for one. The HD100 can do more with its hardware, including the new core animation system, which the MVP cannot use. The HD100's firmware can be upgraded -- I don't know if the newer MVPs can do that at all, but I know my older model can't. Regardless, the MVP can't download a new firmware from SageTV like the HD100 can.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.