SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Sage Expert

Question Call for input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Sage has a UPnP client working for the HD200 in "standalone mode" so it stands to reason that they should have a lot of the code for this already. I'm not sure why they haven't added it to Sage server for use in the "extender mode" yet.
Thinking about this more and more, I don't understand why this has not generated more buzz/questions?

For some time now, Sage has had online video support... Here we have a way/implementation to advance the server to 'eliminate' the use of hardware tuners, use our extenders, and Sage has no legal landmines to overcome via DIRECT interaction. I am sure that they are working on something, but only time will tell... Heck, MaximumPC had a specific article on basically the same thing...

In the meantime, with the amount of requests for HULU/Netflix/Flash video, this would appear to be a goldmine for some enterprising coder to integrate the client into Sage... The libraries are already built and awaiting the linkage...

Is it me or does this not make sense? I see several attempt for folks to use loopback hacks and other methods to accomplish this, when I would think that it should/could be relatively simple (no flames/rants/etc...).

-Jason
Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Here is my Eventghost script for Hulu

Just copy the> Switch to mode: Hulu
and the > Hulu folder under the Context Folder

and delete the .txt extension
Attached Files
File Type: txt my media computer.xml.txt (102.3 KB, 640 views)

Server: Intel i7-930 CPU @ 2.8GHz , 300GB HD, 24GB DDR3, Win 10 64-bit, (2) 2TB HD for recording
Capture Devices: 2xHD Homerun Prime 3 (CableCard) = 6 Tuners (Spectrum, TV package: Select), 1xHauppauge WinTv 885 (4 tuners OTA), 1xHauppauge WinTv-7164 (2 tuners OTA), Schedules Direct EPG
NAS: Synology DS1618+ 26.2TB Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)
Sage Add-ons: Comskip Plug-in
Eventghost 0.5.0-RC4, Java Version: 1.8.0_172 (32-bit), Harmony 880, USB-UIRT
Old 06-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Using Hauppauge 45 button remote with Hulu Desktop

This may be very obvious for some but I'll post it anyways...

This is how I got my Hauppauge 45 button remote to work with the Hulu Desktop application:

1. Edit the irremote.ini file in your Windows directory by adding the following to the [Applications] section:
Code:
Hulu Desktop=
2. Add a new section to irremote.ini by adding the following to the end of the file:
Code:
[Hulu Desktop]
NAVRIGHT={right}
NAVLEFT={left}
NAVUP={up}
NAVDOWN={down}
OK={enter}
PAUSE={enter}
STOP={enter}
PLAY={enter}
MENU={tab}
BACK={tab}
GRNPOWER={alt}{f4}
3. Then restart the ir.exe application.

Thanks to Andy and this thread that explains how to control other apps with this remote. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4277
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Sage Expert

Attached is very simple script that keeps Hulu Desktop in focus, for those having focus issues with hulu desktop on SageTV.

It looks for a window named "Hulu Desktop", and immediately forces it back in focus if it ever drops out. Simply run monitorhulu.exe on startup, and add Hulu Desktop as an external menu item in SageTV as others have described.

You'll need a remote that sends the appropriate commands (arrow keys, back and enter) to the focused window in order to control hulu desktop.

monitorhulu.exe - the executable that keep hulu desktop in focus.
monitorhulu.ahk - the Auto Hot Key script source, in case you want to modify it and compile a new version yourself.

Auto Hot Key is not required, unless you wish to modify the script.

UPDATE: Zip file now actually contains the files (whoops)
Attached Files
File Type: zip monitorhulu_v0.1.zip (194.2 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by brainbone; 07-22-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

that zip files doesn't have anything in it

Dave P
Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackham View Post
that zip files doesn't have anything in it
Wow. How did I miss that!

Fixed.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Sage Expert

v0.2 of monitor hulu:

Changes:
only allow one instance of the script to run.
force focus back to SageTV when Hulu Desktop exits.
Attached Files
File Type: zip monitorhulu_v0.2.zip (194.3 KB, 367 views)
Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

what do I need to have this work? some additional software?

__ Auto Hot Key __ got it

Dave P
Old 07-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Sage Expert

You only need autohotkey if you want to modify the monitorhulu.ahk source. The monitorhulu.exe file will run without autohotkey.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

Anyone got this working on an extender? It was cake on a client. I'm looking to do the netflix hack to get this on the extender. Will the remote commands work?

What exactly does the autohotkey script do?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Sage Expert

To get this working on the extenders, we would need to make another plugin like the netflix one -- but much more simple.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM
SageTVaholic

If we could get an easier way (easier than the current solutions) for Netflix and Hulu on the extenders, I'm in for a decent donation to the 3rd party developer (yes I mean it). I really would like to see this happen.

Online Providers I'd love to see available inside SageTV including easy install to the extenders:

1. Hulu
2. Netflix Watch Now
3. Amazon VOD
Old 07-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
If we could get an easier way (easier than the current solutions) for Netflix and Hulu on the extenders, I'm in for a decent donation to the 3rd party developer (yes I mean it). I really would like to see this happen.

Online Providers I'd love to see available inside SageTV including easy install to the extenders:

1. Hulu
2. Netflix Watch Now
3. Amazon VOD
I'm with Brent on this one, 3rd party developer or even a Sage streaming add-on would get $$$'s from me. But extender support, and SageMC would be a requirement. ;-)
Old 07-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Sage Icon

Red face *First off I didn't read the whole thread or do a search .......question

Why must it be a 3rd party developed solution, why wouldn't Sagetv provide in-house support for Hulu and or Netflix ?

Is there a legal reason?

Thanks

*Yes this may have been answered already but please do a old man a solid.
If ten seconds of your time is not to valuable.

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 07-24-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
Why must it be a 3rd party developed solution, why wouldn't Sagetv provide in-house support for Hulu and or Netflix ?

Is there a legal reason?

Thanks

*Yes this may have been answered already but please do a old man a solid.
If ten seconds of your time is not to valuable.
I would think it's a m-o-n-e-y issue. Hulu continues to shut down access to its video thru anything other than a browser or its own desktop on multiple platforms. Says the providers don't want to cut into the TV revenue stream. The netflix apis are out there so I don't know if it is a money issue with Sage being a commercial app. The 3rd party plugins probably skirt around the issue. Netflix is tightening up with the number of devices in a single household can run Netflix WatchNow. It is limited to 6 devices in a household which includes PCs. (If that is the issue.) All guesses here-no secret insight to the problem.

gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Sage Icon

Interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to get me up to speed.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I would think it's a m-o-n-e-y issue. Hulu continues to shut down access to its video thru anything other than a browser or its own desktop on multiple platforms. Says the providers don't want to cut into the TV revenue stream. The netflix apis are out there so I don't know if it is a money issue with Sage being a commercial app. The 3rd party plugins probably skirt around the issue. Netflix is tightening up with the number of devices in a single household can run Netflix WatchNow. It is limited to 6 devices in a household which includes PCs. (If that is the issue.) All guesses here-no secret insight to the problem.

gerry
Netflix api's are out there yes, but they don't have any streaming api's. The api's just cover things like queue managment and disc info lookups(like title actors, rating)
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat View Post
Netflix api's are out there yes, but they don't have any streaming api's. The api's just cover things like queue managment and disc info lookups(like title actors, rating)
Looks like the javascript api can work their player:

Quote:
nflx.openPlayer : function(movieId, xPos, yPos, applicationId, domId)

openPlayer expects the movie ID, the X and Y position in pixels from the top of the viewport, your application ID, and the DOM id you want your X and Y position to be counted from. Only the DOM ID is optional.
And of course you have the official MS Netflix in Windows Media Center which is also in the Netflix App Gallery.
NetFlix in Windows Media Center

I don't think MS is using a "hack" to access the Watch Instantly movies. I'm pretty sure they're using the api. Their advantage is the Silverlight player is more easily controlled and accessed thru the Media Center app.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 07-24-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I don't think MS is using a "hack" to access the Watch Instantly movies. I'm pretty sure they're using the api. Their advantage is the Silverlight player is more easily controlled and accessed thru the Media Center app.
I haven't looked at netflix in media center. Does it use the silverlight player? Can it be controlled via remote?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
I haven't looked at netflix in media center. Does it use the silverlight player? Can it be controlled via remote?
Yes and yes. I think the video quality is pretty poor.