SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Sage User

add description to videos

i would like to add a description to the videos in my media library... i don't use sagemc is there a way to do this?

thank you in advance
Old 06-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Check the customizations forum -- there's a sticky about metadata properties files. There are customizations to check out too in another sticky there.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Sage User

ok thanks...

i looked into the files that you mentioned, i came up with some issues... i tried using the VIDEO_TS.properties file but sage would not read them... when i tried using the VIDEO_TS.my files it worked great but i could not get "description" in there,

how do you guys create your description files...

the plugin from imdb does not work currently due to the imdb website...
Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure why you are trying to use a file named VIDEO_TS.properties. The sticky post says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Note: As of v6.4, imported DVDs can use .properties files. To add a metadata properties file for a DVD, place the <DVDName>.properties file in the top folder level for the DVD. The optional VIDEO_TS folder would be a subfolder of that location.
In case you don't know this, DVDName would be the name of the DVD's folder - the one above the VIDEO_TS folder.

I've now added that quoted info to an older post it links to where the list of valid properties are given.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Sage User

the reason for using "VIDEO_TS.properties" is thats what the plugin created... when using "VIDEO_TS.my" file works great however as i orginally stated there is no description tag

i did read about renaming the file below is an example

"VIDEO_TS.properties" to "JUNO.properties" however it did not work for me file looks like this

Title=JUNO
Description=cvcvcvcv
Year=2007
Genre=Movie
Actor= , Backstage:,

folder path looks like this

dvd/juno/JUNO.properties
Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

It should be VIDEO_TS.properties and VIDEO_TS.my... Also you should load the STVI that reads my files and set it to always read my files.

Below is an example of a my and propertie file.

Code:
video_ts.properties
Title=Dexter S1D1
Description=A like-able Miami police forensics expert moonlights as a serial killer of criminals who he believes have escaped justice.\n ----\nDuring the day, Dexter Morgan is a jovial employee in the Miami Metropolitan Police Department's crime lab, but his meticulously crafted life masks his true nature. In reality Dexter is a disciplined and murderous psychopath (a self-admitted "monster"), and he slakes his blood lust at night by carefully killing the serial killers he tracks down during the day. Based on the novels (Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter and Dexter in the Dark) by Jeff Lindsay.\n\n\nTagLine: Takes life. Seriously.\nTrivia:\n* Dexter's boat is named Slice of Life.\n----\n* Dexter frequently uses aliases that references Bret Easton Ellis books/movies. These include using Patrick Bateman (the main character from American Psycho (2000)) when buying tranquilizers and Sean Ellis (reference to both Ellis and Sean Bateman - from The Rules of Attraction (2002)) when seeing a psychiatrist.\n
Genre=TV Series/Crime / Drama / Mystery / Thriller
Actor=Michael C. Hall..........Dexter Morgan (24 episodes; 2006-2007); Julie Benz..........Rita Bennett (24 episodes; 2006-2007); Jennifer Carpenter..........Debra Morgan (24 episodes; 2006-2007); Erik King..........Sergeant James Doakes / ... (24 episodes; 2006-2007); Lauren Vélez..........Lt. Maria Laguerta (24 episodes; 2006-2007); David Zayas..........Angel Batista (24 episodes; 2006-2007); James Remar..........Harry Morgan (24 episodes; 2006-2007); C.S. Lee..........Vince Masuka (23 episodes; Scott Buck; Drew Z. Greenberg; Daniel Cerone; Sara Colleton; John Goldwyn; Clyde Phillips; Chad Tomasoski
Director=2006-2007); Christina Robinson..........Astor (23 episodes; 2006-2007); Geoffrey Pierson..........Captain Tom Matthews (15 episodes; 2006-2007); Preston Bailey..........Cody (12 episodes; 2007)
Producer=Michael Cuesta; Tony Goldwyn; Keith Gordon; Steve Shill; Marcos Siega; Robert Lieberman; Nick Gomez; Jeff Lindsay; James Manos Jr.; Daniel Cerone; Melissa Rosenberg; Timothy Schlattmann; Lauren Gussis
Writer=Daniel Goldman..........Cody (11 episodes; 2006); Keith Carradine..........Special Agent Frank Lundy (11 episodes; 2007); Devon Graye..........Teenage Dexter (10 episodes; 2006-2007); Jaime Murray..........Lila (10 episodes; 2007)
Year=2006
Misc=*********
ExternalID=MF6607715
Library=true
StartDate=5/19/08
FirstRun=false
EndTime=8:43 PM
Manual=false
StartTime=8:43 PM
Favorite=false
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

The .my file plugin has its own set of rules where the .my metadata file is located, so if using that method, follow its rules of course.

But, I had an error in my description of where SageTV would look for the .properties file. I've changed it to read:

Quote:
Note: As of v6.4, imported DVDs can use .properties files. To add a metadata properties file for a DVD, place the <DVDName>.properties file in the same folder where the DVD folder is located, so that the <DVDName>.properties file and the <DVDName> folder are in the same parent folder.
If using SageTV's built-in DVD metadata capability, use that file location instead.

- Andy
Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Sage User

thank you all for your help...

does the future include some easier way of dealing with this issue built into sage?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The .my file plugin has its own set of rules where the .my metadata file is located, so if using that method, follow its rules of course.
Now that .properties files for DVDs are supported in 6.4, I'll change the .my file import to put the .properties files in the correct place. Andy, thanks for highlighting the correct location.

John
Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm really liking these .properties files, as it's enabled me to export the metadata from iTunes with scripts, and then import the data for the online video library.

Attached is a view of an imported video, but it's showing information I'd actually like to hide. I don't really care to show the path in the filesystem, the format information is handy, but I'd like to parse it, if at all possible to show maybe just the aspect ratio or something.

Also, you might notice that I have "Starring:" as well as "Artist:", and then the same names are listed. Well, in iTunes it prefers to tag all the Actors names in the Artist tag, much like the artist of a music album. I'm exporting the metadata to a file that looks like this:

Title=MI3
Year=2006
Description=Ethan Hunt comes face to face with a dangerous and sadistic arms dealer while trying to keep his identity secret in order to protect his girlfriend.
Genre=Action
Actor=Tom Cruise;Philip Seymour Hoffman;Ving Rhames;Billy Crudup;Michelle Monaghan
Director=J.J. Abrams
Duration=2:05:17

Ideally, I'd like to leave it all as is, and dump those couple of tags that are unnecessary. I guess I could do without the File Size tag as well.

Any hints on how I might do this? Would I need to create an STVI?

Oh, and maybe I'm a little late to the party, but these .properties files are great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MI3.JPG (165.1 KB, 249 views)

3x HD100 HD Extenders

Last edited by jrog; 06-25-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Now that .properties files for DVDs are supported in 6.4, I'll change the .my file import to put the .properties files in the correct place. Andy, thanks for highlighting the correct location.
I've added a new test version of the .my file plugin that now stores the .properties files in the correct place and names them correctly for DVD's. I've also changed the .my files for DVD's to be in the same location and follow the same naming convention.

<DVDName>.properties file, <DVDName>.my file and the <DVDName> folder are in the same parent folder

John