SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Sage User

Motorola DCT2224 STB - Channel changing via serial cable

I've found the plugin that should allow me to change channels on my Motorola DCT2224 STB via a serial extension cable. At this time, it's not working for me.

From what I've been able to find, it could be a couple things:
  • The serial port on the STB is not active. Google has led me to a couple conflicting solutions which state the cable company needs to send the following command from their billing software:
    • app_is enable
    • app_if enable
  • The plugin doesn't work in Sage anymore. I've seen some posts from users stating that it used to work in earlier versions of Sage, but does not work anymore.

So, does anyone know which command is correct: "app_is enable" or "app_if enable". I'd like to have the right information when I speak with my cable company about this.

And, does anyone know whether or not this works with the latest version of Sage. I'd hate to go through the hassle of getting the serial port on the STB activated if it's not going to do me any good.

I have a USB-UIRT, which works, but it costs a lot more than a serial extension cable ($50 vs $10). And I'm thinking that the hardwired connection would be more reliable? If I could get this to work, I'd probably sell the USB-UIRT.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Sage Icon

I have the DCT2224 and have channel changing via serial working. What you need is the Multi-DCTTuner 1.2 plugin and the MotorolaDCT2000.ir remote code.

You can get the Multi-DCTTuner 1.2 plugin from here and the MotorolaDCT2000.ir is in your SageTV directory (C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes\ACTiSYS IR200L)

Follow the instructions that came with the Multi-DCTTuner 1.2 plugin to install it.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Sage User

Update -

Yes, the plugin does still work in Sage. I'm using it successfully in the 6.4.5 beta.

As far as the correct command for the cable company to send to the box, I don't have an answer. They just told me that my port was already active.

A few key notes:
- Make sure the dll config file specifies the correct port
- The cable needs to be a straight through/extension cable, not null modem
- If running under Vista, the dll goes in the folder specified in the instructions, but the rest of it goes in the corresponding folders in the virtual store
Old 08-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm also trying to get this set up with a Motorola DCT 2224 box (Comcast). If I only have 1 box, do I need to rename the default device name "StubDevice" to something different? Since the DCT.ini file says "StubDevice," I am assuming that I do not have to change this.

Also, is there an easy way to find out if my RS232 cable is compatible? I only have 1 in the house...that was attached to a UPS unit.

FYI: My IR changing really went south when I swapped to this newer box recently.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Sage User

No, you shouldn't need to rename it.

I'm not 100%, but I'm guessing that your cable is probably not an "extension" one since it's connected to a UPS. An extension would be used for things like lengthening your serial mouse cable. Do you have a continuity tester? If so, just check for continuity from pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 etc. If you don't have pin for pin continuity, then it's not the right cable.

Radio Shack sells them for $20. If you're not in a hurry, I think monoprice.com has them for a couple bucks?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the reply, and I'll probably just buy a new one from MonoPrice (love that site).

I'm still into getting Serial working...but I was able to get my IR issues up and running. If anyone is having issues with Hauppauge Blaster control via Sage, then check out Andy's reg tip. Worked for me.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...7&postcount=15
Old 05-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

In working with the serial control for the DCT2224, the file that comes with the MultiDCTTuner contains a reference to StubDevice. Where do I find within the Sage program what the name of my second tuner is called? I looked in the sage.properties file with no luck. Can I assume it's called StubDevice2?

Thanks.

AWS
Old 05-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Sage Icon

you use the MotorolaDCT2000.ir file. I posted above where you can find it.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Right... I am using it. Within that ZIP file is an *.ini file. Within that *.ini file (MultiDCTTuner.ini) is a section:

Quote:
;Below here are the device names Sage uses for capture devices and the COM port they
;are connected to. Use integer values for the port settings.
;StubDevice is the default name for the first device.
StubDevice=1
Do I change StubDevice=1 to the name of my *.ir file under c:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes\MultiDCTTuner Plugin? The name of my *.ir file is MotorolaDCT2224.ir? So should the above section in my c:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\MultiDCTTuner.ini read:

Quote:
;Below here are the device names Sage uses for capture devices and the COM port they
MotorolaDCT2224=1
... and the "1" from above coralates to the serial/com port it's attached to, right?

And what does:

Quote:
;Add other device names and ports here
AnotherReceiver=1
mean from the MultiDCTTuner.ini file?

I have two PVR-350 cards. I want the second PVR-350 card configured to use the external tuner on this Moto DCT2224 converter box. I believe I have the Sage configuration part working (?) but the log file created says:

Quote:
Port set to 0 ... delaying COM Port initialization
MultiDCTTunerDLL $Rev: 20 $ Initializing Serial Port 1 for device StubDevice ... failed
So? I think I have a port set wrong either in Windows or the MultiDCTTuner.ini file.

Thanks,
AWS
Old 05-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Now the log file says:

Quote:
MultiDCTTunerDLL $Rev: 20 $ Initializing Serial Port 1 for device StubDevice ... done
Attempting to initialize DCT StubDevice
SENT: type 0x70, len 2, id 0x04, seq 0x03
Serial timeout
No response to packet
No response to init_1; trying to continue
SENT: type 0x78, len 3, id 0x04, seq 0x03
data 0x00
Serial timeout
No response to packet
No response to initialize_2
Serial timeout
No initial status message
Reading current channel
SENT: type 0x78, len 3, id 0x04, seq 0x13
data 0x21
Serial timeout
No response to packet
Unable to communicate with DCT. Try increasing scale value
Closing device StubDevice
So at least now it's talking to the DCT on COM1... progress.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Sage Icon

These is what my ini file looks like:
Quote:
[Settings]
;This controls the delay between commands sent to the DCT box
;You should not adjust this unless the box is not responding correctly.
scale=1.125

;This controls the maximum amount the scale is allowed to reach
;before it is reset to the default value, specified above
scale_max=2.0

;Set this to true to enable the debug log and false to disable it.
log=true

;Debug log to write to. This file can become large very quickly.
logfile=c:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\multidcttuner.log

;Set to true to blindly send commands to the DCT box without verifying it was accepted.
blind=false

;Set to true to enable sending the "power-on" command to the DCT box if
;channel changing should fail.
power=false

;Default COM port to use when communicating with the DCT box
;This must be an integer value.
port=1

MotorolaDCT2000.ir=1a
For the AnotherReceiver=1 line, I think it is for motorola boxes you want to control. If you have just one like I do, then you don't need that line.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
These is what my ini file looks like:

For the AnotherReceiver=1 line, I think it is for motorola boxes you want to control. If you have just one like I do, then you don't need that line.
If possible, would you mind posting your log file? I'm curious to see if your log file (c:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\multidcttuner.log)... (?) I dunno - kinda grasping at straws.

My Windows firewall is disabled, too.

So do you have your DCT attached/bound to your first, second or X tuner?

Thanks.

AWS
Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS View Post
If possible, would you mind posting your log file? I'm curious to see if your log file (c:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\multidcttuner.log)... (?) I dunno - kinda grasping at straws.
I actually don't use serial control anymore since I switched from Cable to FiOS a few months ago. I no longer have the DCT2224. I use firewire to control the FiOS' Motorola QIP7100 now.
Quote:
So do you have your DCT attached/bound to your first, second or X tuner?

Thanks.
I used to have it attached to a PVR-500 through the composite input.

I'm not sure what problem you are having, but when I set it up, it was pretty straight forward to get it working when you follow the instruction that came with the MultiDCTTuner plugin. I suggest you read it carefully and follow the exact steps.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm still plinking away at this problem. Do you think I would need to change any of my default COM1 settings within Windows.

Currenlty at:
Bits per seconds: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Contorl: Off

I know ... it should just work. Aggrevating.

AWS
Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Sage Icon

I didn't change anything with the com settings in windows. I guess you have to figure out if your com port is working properly. I'm not sure how to check that.

Also, you might wanna try the firewire channel changing route if your STB has firewire port. That's what I'm using now.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for all your help!

At this point I believe the STB has the serial port disabled. I've done everything and still it's a no-go. I don't have a 1394 port on the STB.

I'm going to give up on this. Go with the USB-UIRT route.

AWS
Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I actually don't use serial control anymore since I switched from Cable to FiOS a few months ago. I no longer have the DCT2224. I use firewire to control the FiOS' Motorola QIP7100 now.
I used to have it attached to a PVR-500 through the composite input.

I'm not sure what problem you are having, but when I set it up, it was pretty straight forward to get it working when you follow the instruction that came with the MultiDCTTuner plugin. I suggest you read it carefully and follow the exact steps.
if possible, and if you're still using this setup, can you copy and paste your multituner.ini file here - I'd love to see how it's written.
thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
if possible, and if you're still using this setup, can you copy and paste your multituner.ini file here - I'd love to see how it's written.
thanks
Sure

Quote:
[Settings]
;This controls the delay between commands sent to the DCT box
;You should not adjust this unless the box is not responding correctly.
scale=1.125

;This controls the maximum amount the scale is allowed to reach
;before it is reset to the default value, specified above
scale_max=2.0

;Set this to true to enable the debug log and false to disable it.
log=true

;Debug log to write to. This file can become large very quickly.
logfile=c:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\multidcttuner.log

;Set to true to blindly send commands to the DCT box without verifying it was accepted.
blind=false

;Set to true to enable sending the "power-on" command to the DCT box if
;channel changing should fail.
power=false

;Default COM port to use when communicating with the DCT box
;This must be an integer value.
port=1

MotorolaDCT2000.ir=1a

Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sure
Are you using more than one tuning device, aka a Hauppauge card or something similar, in addition to the Motorola?