SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Sage User

I just installed 2250 on WHS and I dont find anything necessarily buggy but the analog picture quality is just horrible. Im using this on a 100" screen and that usually reveals a lot of garbage in an analog image but this is far worst than the picture I get from a Comcast cable box. Any tips on cleaning up this image?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Sage User

Question

I have an HVR-1250 and HVR-2250 that I'd been using together on a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition system with no issues. I upgraded that system to 64-bit Windows 7 Professional last week and am getting that same 0x8007001F error when trying to add the Digital TV Tuner input for the Hauppauge Win-7164 Analog Capture #2 source. As others have described, the first tuner works fine but I just can't get the second to do anything useful. I am using the 7.6.27.27323 drivers for the HVR-2250.

Could someone who has been able to resolve this issue using AmCap explain exactly what they did? I'm using the custom build linked to by benjamintm, and whenever I open the application or use the Devices menu to switch between either HVR-2250 tuner I get the following error:

Code:
Unable to render the video preview stream.

The parameter is incorrect.

[0x80070057 / 18878]
It sounds like that error is to be expected, but no combination of fiddling with AmCap and rebooting has gotten that tuner to the point that SageTV can use it properly. Is all you're doing is switching between the two tuners using the Devices menu? Do you do this before or after you've added them as sources in SageTV? Any insights into what I'm doing wrong here would be greatly appreciated.

One other thing I'll add is that I've performed the following procedure...
  1. Remove all sources in SageTV.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Start SageTV and one of the HVR-2250 tuners as a source.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Add the other HVR-2250 tuner as a source.

...twice. The first time I added the problematic #2 tuner before the #1 tuner. In this case, when attempting to preview a channel on the #2 tuner in channel setup, I wouldn't get an error but the signal strength meter would be stuck at 100% and the preview window would just say something like "Loading preview...". The second time around I added the #1 tuner first, and in this case when I try to preview a channel I do get that 0x8007001F error. So, two different outcomes depending on the order you add the tuners as sources, but, unfortunately, neither of them results in a working tuner.

Edit: According to here and here it looks like a new release of WinTV is imminent which may bring with it new drivers as well, so hopefully they will address this issue...

Last edited by BACON; 01-26-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emverham View Post
I'm getting the same error... although sometimes I can add the tuner correctly... but it later crashes when SageTV tries to use the second tuner to record anything. Anyone made any progress in the last month? Or have you just turned off this tuner?
My second tuner went kaput the same way, so I tried the AmCap thing to no avail. Ended up turning off both tuners and now the 2250 is being used as a glorified remote input. The pair of 950Qs I ended up with work flawlessly.
I'm still hopeful there'll be an official fix one day...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Sage User

So, version 1.3 of WinTV was released a few weeks ago, and with it "new" drivers. Unfortunately, they're the same 2250 drivers from November 30th, so no luck there.

I did try installing WinTV just to see if it had the same problems as SageTV and had no problems getting it to record using both tuners on my 2250 simultaneously. So, would the fact that WinTV has no issues with the 2250 on Windows 7 whereas for some (all?) of us SageTV gets that 0x80070057 error when accessing the second tuner suggest that the problem is actually with SageTV and not Hauppauge's drivers? Or is it that SageTV is accessing the tuner via one API (DirectShow?) whereas WinTV is recording through some other method that doesn't exhibit this behavior, therefore it's the driver that's not playing nicely with the API?

Has anyone tried submitting a bug report to Hauppauge for this problem? I've thought about doing that but I'm not sure what to say; "My Hauppauge tuner card works perfectly with Hauppauge DVR software, but has problems when used with software Hauppauge didn't happen to write"? Will they even care?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

I don't think it's a problem with the card or drivers. Since everything works in 7MC it's probably a Sage problem. Hopefully once Win7 is supported we can get it sorted out.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have two HVR-2250's one in two different Windows 7 32 bit computers.

The first computer which has both tuners working fine, gives this warning message on every channel tune; "Capture device failure while starting data scanning". This computer also has a amplified cable splitter feeding the tuner. Any suggestions on this warning? It appears on each tune of a channel, does not appear to effect anything. But I would like to be able to stop the warnings. Could I just use the trick of adding a delay to the tuner like "delay 600" in a file with the tuner name? I am using that trick on my HDHomeRun tuners. I may try that today.

The second computer fails to tune anything with the second tuner in the HVR-2250 card. Does not matter how I add the tuners or the drivers. The first tuner works fine but the second tuner appear to not have any signal. I have not tried amcap yet. This computer has two HD-PVR's and HDHomeRuns attached. There is no amplified spliter on this computer. I will try swapping the amplified splitter to this HVR-2250 card today and see if that fixes the second tuner.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

FIXED ! Both problems

Second tuner was missing "Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture-1-ATSC.frq" file, so I copied the one existing file I had and changed "-0" to "-1". Tunes perfectly now. These files are found in SageTV directory.

Warning message required increase in tuning delay. Opened notepad typed "delay 600" and saved as; "Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture-0.par" and "Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture-1.par". Save to SageTV directory.

Adding an amplifier made no difference.

Last edited by jerryt; 03-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Sage User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
FIXED ! Both problems

Second tuner was missing "Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture-1-ATSC.frq" file, so I copied the one existing file I had and changed "-0" to "-1". Tunes perfectly now. These files are found in SageTV directory.

Warning message required increase in tuning delay. Opened notepad typed "delay 600" and saved as; "Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture-0.par" and "Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture-1.par". Save to SageTV directory.

jerryt, you are the (wo|hu)?man! That fix worked exactly as you said. I had a Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture-0-ATSC.frq file with a modified date of around the time I installed Windows, and the Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture-1-ATSC.frq file was missing. So, I wonder if SageTV wasn't able to to create/copy that file due to NTFS/UAC permissions in %ProgramFiles%? In any case, thank you, thank you, thank you! Is there an FAQ this fix can be added to, or is this thread it?

I've also been seeing that warning message for (what was formerly) the one working tuner. I will try applying that tuner delay fix when I get a chance.

Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What's interesting is that my Vista install (same tuners) has only the -0 frq file and all 4 tuners work perfectly.

My Win 7 install did need all 4 (-0 thru -3) frq files for the three other tuners to work. They were created Sunday (I decided to give Win 7 another shot) when I recanned all the tuners. The three new frq files have a date created of 02/28/2010 and the original has a date created of of 11/15/2009 when I did the original setup.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACON View Post
So, I wonder if SageTV wasn't able to to create/copy that file due to NTFS/UAC permissions in %ProgramFiles%?
Both of these computers had UAC turned off. The computer which created the .frq file for the second tuner correctly, has SageTV 6.6.2 without any updates. The problem computer has had all the updates.

So my guess is one of the updates broke it ?? Only a theory...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Sage User

Thanks! this worked great!

Quote:
FIXED ! Both problems

SageTV Support was zero help on this issue. Looks like a very easy fix for them.. wonder if they'll be around for much longer.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Fixed mine Too!

Thanks for the post guys. I was just about to try another TV tuner card and found this post thread. I had to reboot but after that everything is working fine again with the Hauppauge Dual tuner.

Sometimes these things work out.