SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Not sure where you are located, but the fuel cost to KC might not be worth it.

I built my HTPC a little over a year ago - here's the basics of it from back then note I was a BeyondTV user back then...

Then this June I did a little CPU "brain surgery" to upgrade to a dual-core.

And I'm using ArcSoft decoder for HD-PVR file playback.
Brent just give me the basics - what cpu/mobo/video, OS and Sage ver?

Thanks! I can't wait to get home to tryout the "pro" coreavc version.

Shawn
Old 07-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I built my HTPC a little over a year ago - here's the basics of it from back then note I was a BeyondTV user back then...

Then this June I did a little CPU "brain surgery" to upgrade to a dual-core.

And I'm using ArcSoft decoder for HD-PVR file playback.
Brent, would you mind checking what your CPU usage is in task manager while playing back HD-PVR recordings in sage? Also, what are your sage video settings (overlay/VMR9, 3d accel, FSE, etc). And are you running XP or vista?

I'm trying to play back HD-PVR fies using the arcsoft decoder and it will not use hardware accel while playing in sage. Playback is mostly smooth, but 1080 deinterlacing is not happening well (scroll bars on the bottom of the screen are feathered, scenes with motion are blurry). Playback in WMP is perfect with low CPU usage. My CPU usage while playing back in sage is 50-60%, so one of the two cores is maxed out (I have a E4300). My theory is that since the CPU is maxed out (I don't think Arcsoft is multicore) it pulls back on the deinterlacing. I am thinking that a CPU upgrade might help me, but I'm leery of throwing more money at it. As it is I have a HD-PVR that is unusable unless I want to playback recordings in WMP.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shield View Post
This is on a full client (see sig for hardware). I haven't heard of anyone yet saying they aren't getting some stuttering on a full client while watching live tv and/or playing back HD-PVR .ts files.
I have to chime in here as well.

I have no stutter at all on my primary HTPC and client.
My primary system has an Athlon64 x2 4200+ with 2 gig ram ,8600gt, using the Arcsoft decoders for my HD PVR. My client has an Athlon64 x2 4600+,2 gig ram,8800gt,Arcsoft decoders and both systems run XP and use Overlay rather than VMR9. This for both 720p and 1080i content at max bitrate. The install went smooth first time and has been 99% glitch free since installation of my rev C1 HDPVR.

Maybe I am just lucky or something.

If everybody had no trouble getting new stuff to work then this forum might be a pretty dull place.

Last edited by Apap; 07-28-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: caint spel
Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apap View Post
I have to chime in here as well.

I have no stutter at all on my primary HTPC and client.
My primary system has an Athlon64 x2 4200+ with 2 gig ram ,8600gt, using the Arcsoft decoders for my HD PVR. My client has an Athlon64 x2 4600+,2 gig ram,8800gt,Arcsoft decoders and both systems run XP and use Overlay rather than VMR9. This for both 720p and 1080i content at max bitrate. The install went smooth first time and has been 99% glitch free since installation of my rev C1 HDPVR.

Maybe I am just lucky or something.

If everybody had no trouble getting new stuff to work then this forum might be a pretty dull place.
When you say "max bitrate" are you talking about Sage's setting of "H.264 max quality" or did you adjust the bitrate up in the TME application? I get an error when I try to run Overlay.

Brent, are you using Overlay or VMR9?
Shawn
Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have two of them, and so far, I'm not happy with them. People have been absolutely great in helping me with my issues, but as of right now, I'm not pleased with my purchase.

1. Stuttering video. I am one of those people who can't get smooth playback at all. However, this primarily affects playback through Sage, not the recording from the HD PVRs. Which means I can take the TS files and play them externally through another app without problems. This also means that the issue is not with the HD PVR, but with Sage - and so future updates should correct this.

2. Picture Quality. This is the big one for me, partially because this IS due to the HD PVR, and is not correctable with a software update. The sharpness is softened considerably because of how the HD PVR is re-encoding the signal. It might be affecting the color as well, but that's easier to compensate for then the sharpness issue. Previously, I had my Sat receivers outputting at 720p to my TV. It was gorgeous. But the HD PVR takes that 720p signal and spits out something horrible (to me, it looks like I've reverted back to SD). I partially compensated by having my Sat receiver output at 1080i, so there was more resolution to play with when the HD PVR re-encoded the signal. But the end result is that 1080i through the HD PVR looks significantly worse than 720p without the HD PVR. If you're one of those people who doesn't notice details, you might be fine with this - but to me, it's horrific. I haven't decided if I'm going to send them back yet or not.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
When you say "max bitrate" are you talking about Sage's setting of "H.264 max quality" or did you adjust the bitrate up in the TME application? I get an error when I try to run Overlay.

Brent, are you using Overlay or VMR9?
Shawn
H.264 max quality within Sage.

Video renderer -Overlay
MPEG2 video decoder-default
MPEG4 playback-Directshow
Dscaler-disabled
Audio Renderer-default
MPEG2 audio decoder-Mpeg audio decoder

Video quality for me is excellent. There is very little difference between the output from the HD PVR through the HTPC and the output from my Directv H20 receiver direct to my 42" Syntax Olevia, even when wearing my bifocals.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Apap; 07-28-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

It does help - I set up Overlay and had to disable 3d acceleration and things are looking up!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Sage Icon

I wish my cable company would allow you to purchase the boxes, if I were you I would just buy one on ebay and get it provisioned.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Sage Icon

Gear and settings in my sig plays all the test clips I could find, perfectly (there was a ticker on an ESPN-HD clip). 50% on both cores. Vista, Aero, VMR9 (No FSE). I have Total Media Theater installed, and used those decoders. I haven't tried CoreAVC yet.

P

I don't own one yet, but will soon.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
2. Picture Quality. This is the big one for me, partially because this IS due to the HD PVR, and is not correctable with a software update. The sharpness is softened considerably because of how the HD PVR is re-encoding the signal. It might be affecting the color as well, but that's easier to compensate for then the sharpness issue. Previously, I had my Sat receivers outputting at 720p to my TV. It was gorgeous. But the HD PVR takes that 720p signal and spits out something horrible (to me, it looks like I've reverted back to SD). I partially compensated by having my Sat receiver output at 1080i, so there was more resolution to play with when the HD PVR re-encoded the signal. But the end result is that 1080i through the HD PVR looks significantly worse than 720p without the HD PVR. If you're one of those people who doesn't notice details, you might be fine with this - but to me, it's horrific. I haven't decided if I'm going to send them back yet or not.
Are you sure you have everything setup correctly? I use an HD Extender hooked up to a 62" 1080p TV. I've done back and forth comparisons between the extender and a cable box on several HD channels (Discovery, ESPN, etc.) and from my normal 10' viewing distance the differences are extremely minor. The comparison to SD is completely inaccurate based on my experience with the HD PVR.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I went ahead and ordered 2 new Directv HD receivers and a 2nd Hauppage HD PVR (from buy.com for $209 brand new)...

This product is working great now!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered 2 new Directv HD receivers and a 2nd Hauppage HD PVR (from buy.com for $209 brand new)...

This product is working great now!
Glad to see you have it working well now.

The HD-PVR's are sold out from buy.com, but are also selling at Amazon for $209 with free shipping.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well buy.com had an ebay auction yesterday for this item and I hit the buy it now. They listed a quantity of (5) in the auction.

Ebay 170249967553

Of course, I pay with Paypal and think I'm all set.

Today I get an email that the item is backordered and the ebay auction has now been closed. I sent an email to buy.com asking them to cancel my order.

So now I'm in limbo mode. Buy.com has my Paypal money, and I don't know if I should go ahead and get one elsewhere assuming they'll cancel my order.

Sigh.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Glad to see you have it working well now.

The HD-PVR's are sold out from buy.com, but are also selling at Amazon for $209 with free shipping.
I can't find any that cheap on Amazon. Link?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

I went ahead since newegg had them for $219. Newegg rocks!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
2. Picture Quality...the HD PVR takes that 720p signal and spits out something horrible (to me, it looks like I've reverted back to SD).
---
If you're one of those people who doesn't notice details, you might be fine with this - but to me, it's horrific. I haven't decided if I'm going to send them back yet or not.
Why not? If I paid $250 a pop for an HD box that looked like SD, I'd send them back in a heartbeat.

Of course, my HD-PVR looks almost identical to the source straight out of the sat box. I know you've been trying to deal with this for quite a while, but seeing how you've been getting everyone's suggestions for a while now, and still apparently think it's horrific, why not just send them back already and just assume that no one else notices details like you.

If you're not sure yet whether it could be a problem on your end, then don't keep pronouncing that it's got terrible picture quality that looks like HD. If you are sure it's the box and not a problem on your end, then send it back already.

I'm just sayin'...
Old 08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I went ahead since newegg had them for $219. Newegg rocks!
Sigh. Now buy.com says the product has been shipped to my house and they are unable to cancel my order. So I will have to return it or the Newegg one.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I just moved my HD-PVR from my Windows box over to my Linux server and noticed the quality was sub-par until I went in to increase the quality to max. (5.9GB/hr)

However, everything is now running great in Linux.

B
Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I just moved my HD-PVR from my Windows box over to my Linux server and noticed the quality was sub-par until I went in to increase the quality to max. (5.9GB/hr)

However, everything is now running great in Linux.

B
So your HD-PVR and HVR-1600's have good Linux drivers?
...and you can use Windows/Sage clients with a Linux/Sage server?

Interesting.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM
SageTVaholic

I will be replacing the Windows client with an HD Extender as with my MVPs too. By the time I am through, I will be using only HD Extenders as clients and the occasional placeshifting.

B