SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Do you have any pictures? Inside and out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
I installed my r5000 in it's own box, so I can move it between receivers fast.

Hello jerryt,

I was curious do you have any pictures?
of the build or only after completion?

Bobby
SageTV Server: Windows 7 64Bit, Phenom II X6 1090T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3), ATI Radeon HD 4290, 2 x KHX1600C9D3/4GX, 4 x HD-PVR2 Gaming, , 4 x 320GB recording drives, 2 x USB-UIRT, SageTV Server Beta
SageTV Client & 2 x HD-300 Extender.
40.8TB unRaid 6.6.5 media server
Old 11-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfessor101 View Post
Hello jerryt,

I was curious do you have any pictures?
of the build or only after completion?

Bobby
Would you like a "how to" with parts list, pictures and diagrams?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ideally yes ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
Would you like a "how to" with parts list, pictures and diagrams?
Ideally yes I would like to see that ... but if one doesn't exist, a few pictures would be good enough ... just so I ... (we) can get an idea of how it looks and how simple / easy the process is.

I am regularly taking apart and upgrading my computers and have taken apart old dvd players and stereos when they 'die' to find the problem ... but then usually take it to a friend who is an electronics technician for the de-soldering and resoldering process.

Other than computer stuff, I tend to leave the working (consumer electronics hardware) untouched ...

Thanks for your time,
Bobby
SageTV Server: Windows 7 64Bit, Phenom II X6 1090T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3), ATI Radeon HD 4290, 2 x KHX1600C9D3/4GX, 4 x HD-PVR2 Gaming, , 4 x 320GB recording drives, 2 x USB-UIRT, SageTV Server Beta
SageTV Client & 2 x HD-300 Extender.
40.8TB unRaid 6.6.5 media server
Old 11-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfessor101 View Post
Ideally yes I would like to see that ... but if one doesn't exist, a few pictures would be good enough ... just so I ... (we) can get an idea of how it looks and how simple / easy the process is.

I am regularly taking apart and upgrading my computers and have taken apart old dvd players and stereos when they 'die' to find the problem ... but then usually take it to a friend who is an electronics technician for the de-soldering and resoldering process.

Other than computer stuff, I tend to leave the working (consumer electronics hardware) untouched ...

Thanks for your time,
Bobby
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=272

discussions here
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...351#post315351

Last edited by jerryt; 11-16-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

R5000 not a good choice with Dish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Quite expensive. You're basically locked into a provider. And frankly, the future isn't all that bright for the R5000. For all intents and purposes, it doesn't work with DTV, barely works with cable, and doesn't work with the newer Dish boxes.
Hey all, I'm contemplating the move to HD satellite service. Currently, I have a very stable setup with analog cable/OTA HD with HD100 and PC based clients.

I've known about the R5000 mod for quite a while, but this seems like a very small niche-within-a-niche (given that Sage itself is already pretty esoteric for your average consumer).

My impression is that the HDPVR solution is maturing, but like many, I'd prefer a straight digital stream to my hard drive, thus my interest in the R5000.

Ideally, what I'd like is the DISH Turbo HD package with a couple of R5000 modded VIP 211.

My questions:

1) Is there any issue with MPEG4 support for Dish with the R5000? I thought that DISH was now all MPEG4 (at least the HD lineup). The nextcom site implies that they fully support DISH's (current) MPEG4 receivers; is this actually true?

2) Just wondering about Stanger's comment that things look bleak for the R5000. Is this just a generalization given that they seem to support mainly DISH?

Honestly, I'd really prefer R5000 over HDPVR, but if it's going to be obsolete or impossible to implement, obviously it's a no-go. I guess my confusion from this thread is that while R5000 seems to be a specialized, expensive, and very specific solution, it does seem to work very well for those who have gotten it up and running.

Thanks in advance, and hope everyone is having a good New Year thusfar.

cheers,
Dave
Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitz43 View Post
1) Is there any issue with MPEG4 support for Dish with the R5000? I thought that DISH was now all MPEG4 (at least the HD lineup). The nextcom site implies that they fully support DISH's (current) MPEG4 receivers; is this actually true?
As far as I know it is.

Quote:
2) Just wondering about Stanger's comment that things look bleak for the R5000. Is this just a generalization given that they seem to support mainly DISH?
What do you mean? They used to support DirecTV, but they can't/don't support any of DTV's new MPEG-4 boxes. They support Dish pretty well, but they can't/don't mod the new VIP211k boxes Dish is now putting out (meaning you've got to buy IRDs used for now). Cable, well, rather hit or miss, you've got to find/buy a box it will support and then get your cableco to provision it.

The 211 should be around for a good long time, but basically you can't take your R5000 mod to DirecTV and you all but can't take it to cable.

Quote:
Honestly, I'd really prefer R5000 over HDPVR, but if it's going to be obsolete or impossible to implement, obviously it's a no-go. I guess my confusion from this thread is that while R5000 seems to be a specialized, expensive, and very specific solution, it does seem to work very well for those who have gotten it up and running.
The issue is really just cost/portability. The R5000 is a little more than the HD PVR solution, how much depends on how much it costs you to get the right boxes. If you think that you'll be with Dish long enough and don't mind the premium, then yeah, the R5000 is still great on Dish.

I've actually been pondering doing an R5000 mod on a box when if I get another box. But for the moment I'm glad I haven't yet because I'm seriously considering switching to DTV.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Stanger, that answers a lot of questions. Sounds like if I imagine staying with DISH for the long haul, R5000 might be worth it. From your comments, it seems like the 211 box won't be going anywhere soon--I assume if it's fully compliant with their MPEG4 broadcasts, that standard's not changing anytime soon.

Is there any issue with using my own receiver (versus whatever they would want me to rent?)

Thanks and take care. BTW, thanks for tons of support on this forum overall, Stanger. I don't post that often, but I've learned a ton from reading your stuff on many ocassions.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitz43 View Post
Thanks Stanger, that answers a lot of questions. Sounds like if I imagine staying with DISH for the long haul, R5000 might be worth it. From your comments, it seems like the 211 box won't be going anywhere soon--I assume if it's fully compliant with their MPEG4 broadcasts, that standard's not changing anytime soon.
Yeah, almost all the HD (if not all) is MPEG-4, the 211 was their first box to support it (IIRC). So I don't see a big change coming that will cause them to replace them. They've swapped out access cards on mine so I don't see future security as an issue.

We should be clear, that's just my guess, but recievers never seem to be forcefully replaced except for things like adding new video codecs (H.264) or HD, but that's already done.

Quote:
Is there any issue with using my own receiver (versus whatever they would want me to rent?)
Yes, you have to buy them yourself (AFAIK), and probably off ebay. Dish is now renting/selling only the VIP211k, which is not R5000 compatible. This is the reason I think the future of the R5000 is rather bleak. You can't just mod the standard-equipment Dish boxes anymore.