SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Sage Expert

Is there a wireless router that folks recommend that handles streaming Sage HD videos to the HD200? I'm at the point where I'd like to pursue upgrading to a wireless-N router but want to make sure I get something that has good "switching" capability to handle streaming HD to several HD200s (right now my WRT54G struggles with 1 HD200 let alone the several more I plan to get over time).

Thoughts?

EDIT: It should be noted that I'm using the 3rd-party Tomato 1.23 firmware on my WRT54G.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Is there a wireless router that folks recommend that handles streaming Sage HD videos to the HD200? I'm at the point where I'd like to pursue upgrading to a wireless-N router but want to make sure I get something that has good "switching" capability to handle streaming HD to several HD200s (right now my WRT54G struggles with 1 HD200 let alone the several more I plan to get over time).

Thoughts?

EDIT: It should be noted that I'm using the 3rd-party Tomato 1.23 firmware on my WRT54G.
I'm not quite up on 802.11n, but if it works like b/g, you're in a collision domain. I'd be happy just to find a pair of 802.11n routers which work well enough for one HD200.

Even if you don't plan on running DD-WRT, you may want to visit their forums. Those guys are usually up on the latest and best wireless routers, especially from a stability standpoint (as it relates to DD-WRT of course).
Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Sage Expert

Sorry... maybe I wasn't clear what I'm looking for. I'd like a wired gigabit router that I would hook up to my HD200 (I wouldn't dare use wireless for that

But then I also have a couple laptops that would need to connect wirelessly and thus would need some level of wireless. But the main need is for the wired gigabit. The D-Link 4100 seems to be a couple years old... I still may go for it though and keep my existing router to just use for wireless (Newegg has a deal for $75 after rebate).
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Ahhh. In that case, I'd recommend a separate gigabit switch. The WRT54G "switch" portion is a little weak. 'Not sure if other routers are much better.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Ahhh. In that case, I'd recommend a separate gigabit switch. The WRT54G "switch" portion is a little weak. 'Not sure if other routers are much better.
I agree. Just get a seperate switch. If your wireless router works fine for your wireless needs then I would just get a nice switch and hook it to your router. I have a Trendnet MIMO router that only has 10/100 ports. I just run one of those ports to my gigabit switches. All it needs to be able to do is give each device on your network an IP address (and of course serve up wireless signals to your wireless devices). I keep thinking I should upgrade it, but I keep thinking "why"?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quick update. After reading around on the forums, I decided to purchase the D-Link DIR-655 router to replace my struggling WRT54G. I just hooked up the DIR-655 and wow does it work great! No more stuttering! Couldn't be happier
Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Sage Expert

I think I may have jumped the gun. After using the new D-Link DIR-655 for 30 minutes or so, I jumped around to different shows and media files and now I'm right back where I started... stuttering playback again! What gives. No clue how to proceed now.

The only other factor I can think of is my server PC... but it's a new Dell XPS studio using the built-in gigabit ethernet connection in Windows Vista. May Windows 7 beta will help? Thoughts?

UPDATE: I've played with settings such as NetworkThrottlingIndex but am guessing at this point. I guess what I'm trying to get at is how can I better debug this and find the root cause?

Last edited by LehighBri; 03-10-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Sage User

I would take a file that you are trying to play, and put it on a different machine than the one that is running Sage (i.e., diagnosing if your Sage server is overtaxed in terms of network and/or CPU). Try it in standalone mode too (similar to the USB drive suggestion). You should also check your network properties to see if the system lists that your network is actually operating at 1Gbps (Right click on My Network Places, Properties, click on Local Connection). I have also noticed that my entire system slows down when Microsoft releases a Windows update. My security settings are set to "download new updates but don't install," but even still my system does seem to creep when Microsoft has an update that they are nagging me to install. As soon as I install and reboot everything speeds back up.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW42 View Post
I would take a file that you are trying to play, and put it on a different machine than the one that is running Sage (i.e., diagnosing if your Sage server is overtaxed in terms of network and/or CPU). Try it in standalone mode too (similar to the USB drive suggestion). You should also check your network properties to see if the system lists that your network is actually operating at 1Gbps (Right click on My Network Places, Properties, click on Local Connection). I have also noticed that my entire system slows down when Microsoft releases a Windows update. My security settings are set to "download new updates but don't install," but even still my system does seem to creep when Microsoft has an update that they are nagging me to install. As soon as I install and reboot everything speeds back up.
I tried playing recording off a USB drive and it played great. I then tried standalone mode to play the same file over the network from my Sage server and it was jerky which clearly leads me to think the network is in issue.

Not sure what to do next. I just got a brand new D-Link DIR-655 router (wireless-N and gigabit) so I can't imagine that being an issue. Also, on my server PC, it is indeed connected using gigabit (it says 1Gbps), and I've also rebooted my server PC several times and still get the same issue (server specs are below... they're pretty beefy).

What other things can I try to further debug this?

UPDATE: I dug through Vista's Device Manager and found that sometimes my connection is 1Gbps and sometimes it's 100Mbps... I dug some more and then found a diagnostics button. I ran the connection test and found the results to say the following: "The link partner is not capable of running at 1000 Mbps.". Anyone know why it would say that, especially if I have a gigabit cable router (DIR-655), a gigabit network card (built in to my Dell's motherboard) and Cat 6e cable running throughout my house? Note that I'm also running the latest Intel Pro Network Drivers. Very weird...

Last edited by LehighBri; 03-15-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Double check and make sure the card on your server and your D-Link router is set for auto. If they are you may want to try manually setting it for 1000-full on both devices for grins and giggles. If it still can't maintain it try 1000-half at both. Also check to make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade on your d-link. (Also after trying manual set it back to auto to see if it can now maintain the full connection.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Double check and make sure the card on your server and your D-Link router is set for auto. If they are you may want to try manually setting it for 1000-full on both devices for grins and giggles. If it still can't maintain it try 1000-half at both. Also check to make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade on your d-link. (Also after trying manual set it back to auto to see if it can now maintain the full connection.)

Gerry
Yes, both the router and network card were set to auto-negotiation and I am indeed using the latest DIR-655 firmware (and HD200 firmware as well).

I then tried your suggestion to force both the router and network card to use 1000 full (there is no 1000 half on my network card) and it doesn't seem to be working properly. In the Manage Connections screen in Vista, the network adapter continually cycles through "Identifying", "Network cable unplugged" and "Enabled". It just can't seem to hold a connection when trying 1000. I then set everything to force to 100 full and the connection holds just fine but I still get the jerky playback previously described.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, both the router and network card were set to auto-negotiation and I am indeed using the latest DIR-655 firmware (and HD200 firmware as well).

I then tried your suggestion to force both the router and network card to use 1000 full (there is no 1000 half on my network card) and it doesn't seem to be working properly. In the Manage Connections screen in Vista, the network adapter continually cycles through "Identifying", "Network cable unplugged" and "Enabled". It just can't seem to hold a connection when trying 1000. I then set everything to force to 100 full and the connection holds just fine but I still get the jerky playback previously described.
You may want to try a different set of cables or move them together where you can use shorter, known good cables. (Like patch cables that are packed with some network devices.) For the most part auto should work for you and it should be able to hold at 1000.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
You may want to try a different set of cables or move them together where you can use shorter, known good cables. (Like patch cables that are packed with some network devices.) For the most part auto should work for you and it should be able to hold at 1000.

Gerry
I know it's not the cables as I hooked up my laptop that has a gigabit card using the same cable that was connected to the server and it maintains a 1Gbps with no issues at all. I hate to head down this path but it leads me to believe that my Dell motherboard's network is dead/dying. Good thing I'm under warranty... I gave Dell a call today and they're sending a replacement motherboard later this week so we'll see what happens when I replace it.

Fingers crossed...
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I know it's not the cables as I hooked up my laptop that has a gigabit card using the same cable that was connected to the server and it maintains a 1Gbps with no issues at all. I hate to head down this path but it leads me to believe that my Dell motherboard's network is dead/dying. Good thing I'm under warranty... I gave Dell a call today and they're sending a replacement motherboard later this week so we'll see what happens when I replace it.

Fingers crossed...
Quick update based on the Dell service call. They came out last week and replaced my motherboard and power supply (which was faulty) and things seem to be working great now! The built-in network card holds a 1Gbps connection with no issues and the video plays back smooth as silk on my HD200 extender. What a relief...