SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

not sure I ever ran XP on the pre-powerleaped Dell but it didn't occur to me that it would be a problem.

Will report back . . .
Old 03-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think you will find that CPU speed is not an issue. RAM on the other hand might be. 512MB would be my recomendation.
PVR-350
PVR-150
ATI Radeon 9100
512MB DDR RAM
2 x 80GB HDD
MediaMVP
Old 03-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by ckron
I think you will find that CPU speed is not an issue. RAM on the other hand might be. 512MB would be my recomendation.
I don't know man.. my 933 only has 256mb of memory in it.. and it's runnin' just fine.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 03-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by krutaw
I don't know man.. my 933 only has 256mb of memory in it.. and it's runnin' just fine.

I am sure it is. However, that does not mean it would not run better with more memory. Your HDD will also make a difference when you are running low on physical memory beacuse you will be using the paging file more.
PVR-350
PVR-150
ATI Radeon 9100
512MB DDR RAM
2 x 80GB HDD
MediaMVP
Old 03-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

i gots me 768 mb ram in there and I'll pick up a 160 gb min HDD for it once I confirm it actually works so I think I should be all set hardware-wise

Since I'll be using it to play mp3s as well I was looking for a recommendation for an audiophile-type soundcard (i.e., not a gamer card like the audigy or santa cruz)

anyone out there got any thoughts on that?
Old 03-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally posted by maximumpig
Krutaw---i take it nothing helps?

By the way do you or anyone else know how to tell what hardware IRQ a virtual IRQ is mapped to in an WinXP ACPI machine?

I was thinking I could boost the priority of the PVR-350's IRQ in the registry using this:

but was wondering if I needed to refer to the virtual IRQ or the hardware IRQ

Krutaw, you seem knowledgeable about this stuff--do you know if this might be fruitful??
I think most BIOS's should display the IRQ or INT_A, INT_B, etc. if you go to PCI configuration. If not, the manual should say which slots share INT_? settings. Basically, one rule of thumb I generally have when building computers is to keep high-demand devices seperate from other cards' INT_? setting. It would reduce the 6 PCI slot computer to allow you to only use 3 slots -- which is why I switched to mATX motherboards (only one or two slots, but I can use them all without incident).

Always keep capture cards out of PCI slot 1. I think that slot shares INT_A with the AGP controller. Even if you use ACPI, you still may encounter problems.

Anyway, if you have a choice in chipsets on a motherboard, go with an ASUS nForce motherboard. I used to have one and must say that I had less problems with that than any VIA motherboard I ever had -- plus, you get real-time Dolby Digital encoding

Lauren