SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Ha... are you referring to Yahoo's purchase of Meedio a couple of years ago, and then doing nothing with the asset? Good one yahoo...
Dang.

Note to self: Must improve obfuscation skills.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Did I ever say which week?

I'm close - very close. You know there's lots of exciting stuff going on around here though - some official stuff, some user-developed stuff. It's a good time to be a SageTV user imo. Of course there's a tiny bit of bad news in there as well. So.... hang on and it will be published soon.
You know you can't leave us hanging like that
Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

At least, unlike so many network TV cliffhangers, this one should actually have a conclusion that airs!
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 06-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Sage Icon

What would I ask SageTV? Hmmmm....

I'd ask them to put a Donate link on their main page...cuz I ain't paid them anything in like 3 years and life would suck more if they went under

P

Edit: The above post was mainly for humor and kudos, not an actual worry.

Last edited by Polypro; 06-30-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Apparently, their business model is working for them or else they would have changed it. Development hasn't ceased, new products are being made, and everything is quite active. From what I've read, they have charged a fee for major upgrades in the past and it would seem that most people were content with that.

Now, I'm not suggesting they do this because I happen to like the current pricing structure, but if they were hurting for money, they'd most likely go to an annual subscription model. (ACK! I hope that's not part of the bad news! Let flow the conspiracies! ) Honestly, though, I'd stick with Sage even at that point simply because it's a great product.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Sage Icon

I'm sure the bad news is the HULU and NETFLIX are not coming to a SAGETV near you.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Sage Icon

Netflix? That's been solved - brilliantly I might add:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...hlight=netflix

Watched a movie with it last night - no issues whatsoever. Granted, it would be nice to have it on extenders without the hack...

Hulu? Well, small loss - but they've (hulu) backed away from that model entirely - so it doesn't surprise me. I'm sure some enterprising user will figure out how to make it work.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I also agree Hulu would be a tough loss, but honestly, I wouldn't be comfortable depending on an online service that's got a kill switch and has proven that its not afraid to use it at the drop of hat.

Besides, there are plenty of other online services (video, audio, photo, social, etc.) that encourage integrating their services into embedded devices and I think its time to move on and focus on them.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless View Post
Netflix? That's been solved - brilliantly I might add:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...hlight=netflix

Watched a movie with it last night - no issues whatsoever. Granted, it would be nice to have it on extenders without the hack...
Yeah, hack != solved IMO. My server's got no hope of supporting the hack I think. Windows Server 2003, media support it basically disabled on that OS, and it's got some ancient video card in it...
Old 06-30-2009, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yeah, hack != solved IMO.
I solved that problem by duct taping my HD200 to my Xbox
Old 06-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Sage Icon

After typing it, it occurred to me that after the advent of the HD100 most people moved away from full fledged client systems.

Now that I use it regularly on my main system, I can see how those who rely on the extenders would be very eager to get in on the action.

Let me just say though - it is very worth it! I hope that this is not the 'bad' news Brent is hanging over our heads...

Brent...do I need to launch a twitter flood?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Sage Icon

Brent,

Are we there YET? hehe. Please give us an est...I'm going crazy on hitting F5 every 5 seconds on my browser looking at your website.

Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is it just me or is this whole thread turning into a big joke?

"questions in by 5/27"

"interview on 6/19, results by next Friday"

"coming soon..."

"it's good to be a Sage user right now"

again, maybe it's just me. between this and the other two threads that tease about "exciting things" in the works without details is getting old.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm pretty sure Brent is on vacation right now, so a little extra patience is prolly in order.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I solved that problem by duct taping my HD200 to my Xbox
Very wise - using the HD-200 as a heat sink to prevent the RROD.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Smile Don't Worry Be Happy Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetim View Post

"questions in by 5/27"

"interview on 6/19, results by next Friday"

"coming soon..."

"it's good to be a Sage user right now"

again, maybe it's just me. between this and the other two threads that tease about "exciting things" in the works without details is getting old.
I don't know, I don't think there is anything funny in the statements you quoted. Don't most jokes start with "Knock Knock"? Maybe it's just me though.

B

PS - Or maybe it is taking longer for edits than previously expected. Brent has a day job, family, etc. Then again.. If I am up at 4 in the morning writing this; why isn't he doing the same with his interview?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetim View Post
Sorry to disappoint. That whole job thing and now vacation thing has sort of delayed me a bit. I read this as I'm about three quarters through editing an hour-long interview with Jeff who graciously took his time to answer a bunch of questions and yes he dropped some new information that I'll be sharing with everyone if he doesn't post it here first.

Quote:
is getting old.
<grouchy mode on>
Feel free to not click on this thread then. I didn't intent to "string anyone along" - it just happened unfortunately. The delays are mostly due to my limited time and a few things that got in the way of my earlier intentions. Jeez
<grouchy mode off/>

Remember. This blogging thing is done out of a love for gadgets and HTPCs - It's not even close to a way for me to make a living...

Last edited by Brent; 07-02-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Sage Expert

Brent, thank you for taking the time to do the interview and the work you've put into editing it for it's eventual publication. I think the disappointment in the delay of the interview being posted is a frustration being misdirected towards you. Moreover, I find it frustrating that it is hard to get a straight answer on many things related to SageTV and it's future features. This frustration is only making those of us interested in SageTV's future all the more anxious to read your interview.

I'll admit that I am not a patient person but I definitely will not take jabs at you for the delay of the posting of your interview. This information, IMHO, should already be available to all paying SageTV customers and should be provided by the company in some sort of roadmap. I understand that a lot of it may be just business, but it doesn't make the wait any more enjoyable.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I don't know, I don't think there is anything funny in the statements you quoted. Don't most jokes start with "Knock Knock"? Maybe it's just me though.

B

PS - Or maybe it is taking longer for edits than previously expected. Brent has a day job, family, etc. Then again.. If I am up at 4 in the morning writing this; why isn't he doing the same with his interview?
I agree that those statements where harsh and unecessary Brent does a great job supporting Sage with his website as well as helping people in the forums. I think sometimes people forget what "for free" is.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
...I find it frustrating that it is hard to get a straight answer on many things related to SageTV and it's future features. This frustration is only making those of us interested in SageTV's future all the more anxious to read your interview.
Probably true. But if I were in SageTV's place I wouldn't tout many (if any) new features until they were ready either. Many reasons for this including:
  • People getting ticked off because it takes longer than planned
  • People getting ticked off because the featureset changes over time or has to be modified/removed before it makes it to production
  • Competitor stealing ideas and/or stealing their thunder by timing product releases or announcements to take the focus away from said product
Quote:
This information, IMHO, should already be available to all paying SageTV customers and should be provided by the company in some sort of roadmap. I understand that a lot of it may be just business, but it doesn't make the wait any more enjoyable.
Any of that information he told me was intended to be shared with all current and prospective customers and will of course be available to everyone. I just happened to ask for an interview and he accepted. He isn't giving a real roadmap here - but mentioned a few things of interest in response to an hours worth of questions. You won't find many companies providing much of a roadmap for future product releases/featuresets in the world - it's just the way things are.

Hang in there - I'll get it up as soon as I can

Now, I need to stop responding to these posts so I can finish my final edits on this monster.

Last edited by Brent; 07-02-2009 at 08:41 AM.