SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:20 PM
SageTVaholic

How big of a screen and how close are you to notice the screen door affect. Are you talking about projectors or LCD panels? I sit about 8ft from our 42in LCD and don't notice anything like that.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
How big of a screen and how close are you to notice the screen door affect. Are you talking about projectors or LCD panels? I sit about 8ft from our 42in LCD and don't notice anything like that.
Unfortunately for me neither does anyone else I know. I guess I'm more sensitive to it than most. 8ft from a 42 would drive me crazy. I can't even watch an lcd projector. I demoed a high end epson and could watch it until the camera panned. I had to look away. I remember when the "special edition" sharp 65" lcd 120hz came out. I was about 20ft away and pointed it out to the salesman. The only reason he believed me is because he knew me.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

"Nah, only crappy LCD and Plasma's use a triangular pixel mask... good 'ol DLP's don't have such a thing... a pixel's a pixel.. ;-)"

Why would you they use a triangular mask?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Sage Icon

Is there a web page somewhere with a list of recent TVs and their motion resolution? I've found a few, but they almost all several years old... I'm trying to decide between a few different TVs, and I'm pretty sensitive to noticing motion blur.

Thanks,
Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
Is there a web page somewhere with a list of recent TVs and their motion resolution? I've found a few, but they almost all several years old... I'm trying to decide between a few different TVs, and I'm pretty sensitive to noticing motion blur.

Thanks,
Drew
I am as well. If you want the most accurate motion resolution you are going to want to go after either panasonic plasma's, higher end samsung plasmas and lcd's (with either 120hz or 240hz). Almost all others don't actually display 1080 lines. The most important thing will be to demo the tv's before purchase. I can only watch plasmas and dlp's because I am so sensitive to motion blur. No lcd will totally eliminate it to my eyes. For lcd's that actually display 1080 lines you might not like the "soap opera" effect (I don't). HDGuru is one of the best sites for reviews. As well as Home Theater. Their reviews are based on equipment measurements which help determine the motion resolution better than a subjective "what you see" test. Everyone's eyes see things in different ways so what looks good to one person may look horrible to another.

EDIT: One other thing. Panasonic actually lists this spec on their site.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the pointers.

The 2 sets I'm considering are the Panasonic P55ST30, and the Vizio XVT3D554SV. Yes, that's rather bizarre. I want a plasma, and my wife wants an LED due to less power consumption. The Vizio is the only full array local dimming LED I can find in our price range (55", under $2k).

Unfortunately, I haven't found them in the same store locally, so that makes it quite difficult to do an Apples:Apples comparison. In the setup I've seen them in, the Vizio actually looks better, which seems odd to me. Probably due to the bright lights in the stores where I've seen the Panny, and due to the only source hooked up to the Vizio being a BD player (while the Panny has been playing the crappy store feed). I've seen several glowing reviews of the Panny, but I've not yet seen a qualified review of the Vizio .. just the usual clueless reviews on merchant sites.

I actually don't mind the "soap opera" affect..

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 08-09-2011, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
Thanks for the pointers.

The 2 sets I'm considering are the Panasonic P55ST30, and the Vizio XVT3D554SV. Yes, that's rather bizarre. I want a plasma, and my wife wants an LED due to less power consumption. The Vizio is the only full array local dimming LED I can find in our price range (55", under $2k).

Unfortunately, I haven't found them in the same store locally, so that makes it quite difficult to do an Apples:Apples comparison. In the setup I've seen them in, the Vizio actually looks better, which seems odd to me. Probably due to the bright lights in the stores where I've seen the Panny, and due to the only source hooked up to the Vizio being a BD player (while the Panny has been playing the crappy store feed). I've seen several glowing reviews of the Panny, but I've not yet seen a qualified review of the Vizio .. just the usual clueless reviews on merchant sites.

I actually don't mind the "soap opera" affect..

Drew
Power consumption on the panasonic is lower. ~106w vs ~190w on the vizio. Picture in the store tells you nothing. They have a "store demo" mode on panasonics (maybe vizio too) that is WAY to bright for normal viewing. Also the colors and gamma are horribly out of spec. Doing a self calibration (which is easy) will fix all that so what you see in the store isn't something you can go by unless they have the same source and have been calibrated. Harsh store lighting makes that impossible.

Warranty wise panasonic beats vizio hands down. Vizio tv's are great for the money, don't get me wrong, but their warranty coverage is terrible (or was). They practically make you keep the original packaging or will charge you to send it to you so it is "approved" shipping. Also you pay for shipping (if needed). Panasonic on the other had will not only cover any costs, but will give you a loner while your tv is being repaired. Nobody does that. Panasonic and samsung have the fewest warranty claims of any tv manufacturer. So if you want to go led go samsung. Or sony if you are a "sony is the best" guy. Just know that samsung and sony are a joint venture on panel manufacturing so you essentially get the same tv from either.

When I worked at circuit city me and a buddy used to see what power consumption tv's actually got when we were board. It was surprising to find out how much calibration changes how much a plasma will consume. LCD (or led) didn't change all that much.

Vizio is a good brand with a bad warranty (used to at least, maybe things have changed). Panasonic is the best of both, and so is Samsung. As much as Vizio is trying to become a "name brand" they are making good progress, but I've been out of that world too long to know if they have changed their ways for the better.

Good luck.

EDIT: Check this out , and this, and this.

Last edited by panteragstk; 08-09-2011 at 01:08 PM.