SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Post #3, above, now contains a version of irremote.ini for the new 45 button Hauppauge remote. I do not have one of these remotes, so I was not able to test the results. Please let me know if there are problems.

The irremote.ini file posted above uses key codes and requires SageTV to have Windows focus for it to work. See post #15 in link 3 in my sig lines for a version that does not require SageTV to be the active window.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Sage User

I know you have to restart the Hauppauge IR after putting SageTV to sleep so I tried the following:

[Default]
GRNPOWER={run(C:\Progra~1\FreyTe~1\SageTV\SageTV.exe)}{run(C:\Progra~1\WinTV\Ir.exe /QUIET)}{mode(SageTV)}

[SageTV]
GRNPOWER={ctrl}z{mode(Default)}

It goes to sleep, but it isn't restarting the IR. Or if it is, its not functioning unless I manually run the program. Where did I go wrong here? Is it because I need to install the IRremoteini file without focus?

edit: In fullscreen mode the remote fails to function. If I'm in windowed mode, the remote works after bringing it back from sleep mode. Ideas?

Last edited by jasondragon; 01-16-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondragon
I know you have to restart the Hauppauge IR after putting SageTV to sleep
Where did you see that comment? There is no need to restart ir.exe unless you change the ini file & want your changes to take effect.

Quote:
[Default]
GRNPOWER={run(C:\Progra~1\FreyTe~1\SageTV\SageTV.exe)}{run(C:\Progra~1\WinTV\Ir.exe /QUIET)}{mode(SageTV)}
This won't do much of anything to help -- all it does is restart ir.exe after starting SageTV. The mode() command after starting ir.exe won't get executed.

Quote:
It goes to sleep, but it isn't restarting the IR. Or if it is, its not functioning unless I manually run the program. Where did I go wrong here? Is it because I need to install the IRremoteini file without focus?
If you are sleeping SageTV in full-screen screen-saver mode, then remove the {mode(Default)} command in the [SageTV] section. If you want to be ble to control SageTV w/o it having focus, then yes, check out the other ini files in post 15 of Hauppauge link 3 in my sig lines.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Sage User

Hauppauge 45 Button Remote ini only

For those of us that just use the Hauppauge 45 button silver remote for example is there someone that can provide a stripped down irremote.ini that has only the line items that are needed for this remote and nothing else? My guess is that all we need is this:

[Default]
;New Silver Hauppauge remote - 45 buttons

I don't know though if for some reason we also need this as an exact duplicate or not:
[SageTV]

Right now I don't have a problem with focus issues in SageTV after coming out of sleep or hibernation...so I hope to ensure I maintain that.

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Administrator

You can simply move all of the SageTV commands to the [Default] section, or make SageTV the first thing listed in the [Applications] section. Then, by removing all other [application-name] sections, no other set of comamnds would be used. You would also use no mode() commands.

- Andy
Old 03-19-2005, 03:41 PM

I use PowerStrip to change my resolution depending on what I'm watching, recorded shows or DVD. I have tried different hot key combinations within PowersStrip but I can't seem to get ir remote to work with any of them. Has anyone done this and have some suggestions?

I'm modifying the Blue and Green button to these:

BLUE={ctrl}{shift}d
GREEN={ctrl}{shift}h

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

What section of the ini file is this in & what program has focus at the time? If SageTV has focus, do those keystrokes work when entered from the keyboard?

- Andy
Old 03-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Via the keyboard, it works perfectly when I'm in any application. I've tried the remote while in all applications and it never works, even when just on the desktop.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Administrator

... but in what section of the ini file did you make that change? It won't do anything if that section is not the one in use; the currently used section is determined by the program that has focus or by use of the {mode(<section-name>)} command. Example: if you made the change in the [Default] section, but [SageTV] is what is being used, the BLUE & GREEN definition in the [SageTV] section will be used instead.

- Andy
Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 PM

Gotcha.. ok, I didn't want to admit it, but it's in the Media Center section.. all the other commands work in that section when I'm in Media Center. Do I need to move the command to somewhere else?
Old 03-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Oh, well that's why: you are using the wrong media program.

It should work in whatever section is currently active, unless the active program somehow prevents any other program from seeing those keys. If you want those keys to _always_ be used for that purpose, you could also remove them from every section except [Default]. That's about all I can think of for now -- I use a similar setting to have a button send a hot key to check email w/o problems.

- Andy
Old 03-19-2005, 06:51 PM

I tried removing Blue and Green from everything but the Default, and still nothing. If I set Blue to {alt}{tab}, it switches apps, so the button is working it's just not the command?

What's odd is that you can have 1 of 3 types of commands with PowerStrip:
ctrl-shift-x
ctrl-alt-x
lwin-shift-x

None of those work though.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Maybe there is something different in the way ir.exe formats the faux-keystroke vs. what PowerStrip expects from a normal key press, or maybe it checks the keyboard directly rather than respond to a Windows event message. I don't know anything about PowerStrip. My email checker uses ctrl+shift+e to fire off a check for new email & that works via the remote. If you know the window target for PowerStrip, you could try creating your own key press event for SendMsg(). Maybe someone else knows how to 'talk' to PS...

- Andy
Old 04-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Sage User

winamp commands?

please could someone tell me what the remote.ini additions i would have to make to get winamp working? i tried this
[WinAmp]
0=0
1=1
2=2
3=3
4=4
5=5
6=6
7=7
8=8
9=9
GRNPOWER={ctrl}z{mode(Default)}
GO={run(C:\Progra~1\FreyTe~1\SageTV\SageTV.exe)}{mode(SageTV)}
TV={ctrl}v
VIDEOS={ctrl}{shift}v
MUSIC={ctrl}{shift}j
PICTURES={ctrl}{shift}p
GUIDE={ctrl}x
RADIO={ctrl}{shift}r
NAVLEFT={left}
NAVRIGHT={right}
NAVUP={up}
NAVDOWN={down}
OK={enter}
BACK={alt}{left}
MENU={home}
VOLUP={ctrl}r
VOLDOWN={ctrl}e
MUTE={ctrl}{shift}m
CHNLUP={pgup}
CHNLDOWN={pgdn}
CHNLPREV={ctrl}p
REC={ctrl}y
STOP={ctrl}g
PLAY={ctrl}{shift}s
REWIND={ctrl}a
FASTFWD={ctrl}f
SKIPREV={ctrl}{f7}
SKIPFWD={ctrl}{f8}
PAUSE={ctrl}s
TEXT={ctrl}i
SUBCC={ctrl}{shift}c
RED={ctrl}j
GREEN={ctrl}k
YELLOW={ctrl}o
BLUE={ctrl}w

but it not working. im not that good at computers so please help
Old 04-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Administrator

For starters:

1) Winamp has to be added to the [Applications] section and it has to be the actual name of the Window for that application.

2) The key codes listed after each button name (BLUE={ctrl}w, for example: BLUE is the button name, Ctrl+w is the key press it emulates) have to be keys that work with WinAmp. It looks like you simply copied the SageTV section along with its key definitions.

The documentation in the first post of this thread includes info about the steps for adding support for a new application to irremote.ini.

- Andy
Old 04-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Sage User

thanks for the awesomely quick reply. the problem is that if what you mean by " actual name of the Window for that application" you mean the title that appears if you alt tab and look at the program, i dont think winamp will work as that title always includes the tile of the track playing (you cant disable it) . does this mean that im limited to windows media player for remote controlling music playback?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Sage User

this looks like it should work. i put it straight ater windows media player. (also my remote doesnt seem to wok with media player (but ive got version 10 (but the hotkeys shoul bethe same)))

[Player Window]
OK={enter}
STOP={ctrl}{alt}{end}
PAUSE={ctrl}{alt}{home}
PLAY={ctrl}{alt}{insert}
REWIND={ctrl}b
FASTFWD={ctrl}f
NAVUP={VK_UP}
NAVDOWN={VK_DN}
SKIPFWD={ctrl}{alt}{pgup}
SKIPREV={ctrl}{alt}{pgdn}
GRNPOWER={alt}{f4}
Old 04-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Sage User

scratch that the remote works with windows media player 10 .and player window is what appears in the alt tab for winamp but that above code doesn work. when i hit the gnrpower buton it loads sagetv
Old 04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Administrator

My FM radio app doesn't keep the same window name either -- it changes to the current station. You can force the app mode using the mode() command, like I do for SageTV. In the [Default] section, you'll need to assign a button to start your desired app (WinAmp, in this instance) and set the mode to that app's section name, since the green power button was already assigned to SageTV. In your [NewApplication]'s section, assign some button to close the program and either set mode() or mode(Default). I use mode(Default) to force the ini back to the default section so it can respond to whatever button(s) you are using to start another program.

One thing that may be messing you up currently is that if you are using an ini I uploaded to control SageTV, then it uses the mode(xxx) command to force between SageTV and Default -- and no other app section will be used at all once you've used the remote to start SageTV. When you sleep SageTV via the remote, it will go back to [Default], where you can then use a button as I described above to start WinAmp & force it to that mode.

- Andy
Old 04-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Sage User

thanks a lot opus. I just changed the deault values, as things like ctrl alt pgup etc dont mess with my other apps, and i dont think ill need the remote for any app command using proams. all sorted and it works like a charm. any winamp users, all you need to do is add this then enable global hotkeys. thanks again opus

[Default]
OLD0=
0=
1=
2=
3=
4=
5=
6=
7=
8=
9=