SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:02 PM

Well I board a hauppaige card (PVR150) on saturday ... and with some help from a friend this thread here came to my attension ...

Now the thing that has been on my mind since I found this thread is that, for some reason, no program exists to make easy configuration and since I can code it felt obvious that I attempt should be made.

I'm spent about 6 hrs on a beta version, but I could use some help for testing and ideas suggestions etc.

So if you have time to take a look, please download this

Beaware that changes are applied instantly to the ini file, so please make a backup before using. Reboots are still required

Last edited by Aaangel; 04-04-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Somewhere on SHS's forum, there are also 1 or 2 (3?) configuration programs to make editing irremote.ini a bit easier. I don't remember where they are located, so I can't point directly to them, but you should be able to find them by searching the forum over there.

Edit: If by "Reboots are still required" you meant that you have to reboot the PC... all you have to do is restart ir.exe.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:18 PM

well that will make life a bit easier
Old 04-13-2005, 04:39 PM

I've read the thread and have one wish. I have a Hauppauge 250 with a 34 button remote. Is it possible to make it open a specific folder with eg. the yellow button and cruise around files and folders and open them - it would sure make my day
Old 04-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Just have the yellow button open Windows Explorer for that folder. I don't remember whether there is a predefined application section for Explorer, but if there isn't you could always add it.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:25 AM

Question

Sounds great - but but but I don't know how to do it. Is it the remote.ini I have to alter and what do I write in there. I want the yellow botton to open D:\Films further can I make the remote navigate between files and folders with the arrow buttons and eg. make the blue botton perform the command "open"

Last edited by hjc; 04-14-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Administrator

You could probably do all that... the documentation for the ini file is in the first post of this thread. You'll need to look up how to run explorer while specifying that it start in a certain folder & then just assign keys for navigating the explorer window to the buttons you want to use.

- Andy
Old 04-17-2005, 08:14 PM

I have searched the internet and this forum, and can't find any clues on how to edit the irremote.ini so that it can open explorer (know explorer lies in WINDOWS\explorer.exe and know how to write YELLOW={run(E:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe)} but I can't make it response It can be done by placeing a shortcut on the desktop and assigning it to open with shortcut keys, but I don't want such a shortcut on my desktop - anyone who can solve this (I don't want the teori I want the cake and eat it

Last edited by hjc; 04-17-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

You have to make sure that the [ApplicationNameSection] the command is placed in is active when you press the yellow button, or else that section's YELLOW button command will be used instead. The [AppSection] is chosen automatically by checking the current app that has Windows focus, or else the mode() command can be used to force the mode to a particular section.

- Andy
Old 04-19-2005, 03:45 AM

I can make it work to some part - I can't make it start explorer.exe, but other programs starts fine. And still no solution to open a folder with out a shortcut on the desktop
Old 05-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

OK, so I've been using Sage for several years now without a remote and have pretty much learned how to solve most problems. But this past weekend, we moved the PC into the bedroom to be able to use the PVR function in there. Thus begins my first foray into using the Hauppauge remote (I'm using the PVR250). So far, it seems that the default settings don't really allow for easy usability with the Cayars STV (though the configuration document would indicate that it should). So I read through the instructions in the first post here, and I think I'm a bit too dense to properly understand how to do what I'm trying to. So, hopefully there is some kind soul who can bequest me with assistance, and help me figure out why this isn't functioning as it should.

According to the "Sage TV Preconfigured Hauppauge Remote Control Commands," it should already function the way I want, but it doesn't. I want the directional buttons on the remote (not the 45 button one, the 250 stock silver one) to function as just that...directions (up, down, left, right) on the menus. According to the Configuration document, they should work as "navigate up/down/right/left", but they don't. Right now the up and down function as page up and page down rather than by single item...and page up/down doesn't help me select a specific show in Cayars' STV. I haven't changed any configuration settings, so not sure how they could have gotten "out of whack". But can anyone tell me how to fix this issue? I can't seem to figure it out based on the instructions at the beginning of the thread. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

From your description, it sounds like either SageTV doesn't have focus, or else the current mode of the ini file has gotten out of sync with the wake/sleep cycle of SageTV. (What you described sounds like it is using the button mappings in the [Default] section instead of the [SageTV] section.)

If you restart ir.exe & then press the green power button on the remote, does it start SageTV? (i.e.: run it, wake it, or make it the active app) If so, then it can get out of sync if you sleep SageTV full screen with the SageTV screen saver on. If not, then it sounds like the ini file may not be correct.

- Andy
Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
From your description, it sounds like either SageTV doesn't have focus, or else the current mode of the ini file has gotten out of sync with the wake/sleep cycle of SageTV. (What you described sounds like it is using the button mappings in the [Default] section instead of the [SageTV] section.)

If you restart ir.exe & then press the green power button on the remote, does it start SageTV? (i.e.: run it, wake it, or make it the active app) If so, then it can get out of sync if you sleep SageTV full screen with the SageTV screen saver on. If not, then it sounds like the ini file may not be correct.

- Andy
No, it doesn't start SageTV when I use the green power button. I have the Sage screen saver disabled though. How would I correct an incorrect ini file? Is there a standard one somewhere that I can revert to? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown3
How would I correct an incorrect ini file? Is there a standard one somewhere that I can revert to?
See the 3rd post of this thread.

- Andy
Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
See the 3rd post of this thread.

- Andy
OK, I guess I'm confused. I'm not really concerned with waking/sleeping Sage whether Sage has focus or not (since I'm not really trying to control other apps with the remote), but just making sure that the remote functions as it should within Sage. Are the two related? Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

The parts of the ini file dealing with waking/sleeping SageTV are not the important things; the important thing is for the ini file to have a [SageTV] section in it, which you can get by having the SageTV installer modify the ini during installation or by downloading an exsiting ini file, replacing the one you have, and restarting ir.exe.

If your irremote.ini file has no [SageTV] section, it isn't configured for SageTV.

- Andy

5280... the first mile marker
Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Someone wrote an excellent utility for using the hauppauge remote to send keys to unfriendly programs (like zsnes). I just got it running tonight and it works fantastic. Check it out on the GameEX forums.

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=431

btw - GameEX is an AMAZING MAME/generic emulator front end that works very well with Sage.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
For ease of future reference, I am posting the instructions for using the Hauppauge remote to sleep/wake SageTV, along with a sample basic irremote.ini file that has the default commands assigned to the remote's buttons when SageTV is installed.

To use the Hauppauge remote to sleep & wake SageTV, edit your irremote.ini file (in your Windows directory).

In the [Default] section, set:
GRNPOWER={run(C:\Progra~1\FreyTe~1\SageTV\SageTV.exe)}{mode(SageTV)}

In the [SageTV] section, set:
GRNPOWER={ctrl}z{mode(Default)}

Just in case anyone else is wondering...this works with the new beta 3 version too...I just tested it out!

Thanks Opus4!

Brian
Old 10-26-2005, 03:08 PM

I've tried to get winamp to work, but no luck any ideas? And I'm a lil confused by the application decleration, any help would be appreciated I seen some other people had some problems w/ winamp and was wondering if they got the problems cleared up. I've tried what was posted here but no luck.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
irremote.ini + winamp + others apps too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticgeek
I've tried to get winamp to work, but no luck any ideas? And I'm a lil confused by the application decleration, any help would be appreciated I seen some other people had some problems w/ winamp and was wondering if they got the problems cleared up. I've tried what was posted here but no luck.

I have read through this thread, and the ini file instructions, and still dont quite understand how to use irremote.ini + the IR.EXE program to control other programs.

Can someone tell me for sure if it is in fact possible to control Winamp (or any other Windows app) using the hauppuage silver 45 button remote?

I realize the secret is to have a properly defined irremote.ini file. The one I am using now, wakes up, and controls SageTV just great. But I am not sure how to change irremote.ini to control another applications. It seems like it *should* be easy. But its not getting through to me.

Does anyone have an irremote.ini that controls Winamp? Or another windows program. If I could see how that was done, I bet it would all make sense. Then I could embark on trying to control other programs too.