SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Australia/New Zealand
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Australia/New Zealand SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the Land Down Under - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Sage User

Need advice on how to setup SAGE TV

Hi,

I am a Topfield 5000 user for years and never built my own PVR before.

Just bought a Ropyaltek PICO Projector for the bedroom and got directed to the SAGE HD Theatre to have some way to stream HD TV to it.

I intend on buying a HDHomerun to have HD TV for the first time but this is new to me and will be on my new WiFi Lan. I also have netbooks which are WiFi.

So ... after looking at these forums and the SAGETV website I am just a little confused as to what I need to buy ... this is what I think I will do ... if anyone can correct me or confirm what I am doing is good or suggest a better way I would be most grateful.

1. First off I intend on buying a HDHomeRun and this will provide HD channels on my LAN and will be seen any PC or Netbook if it has PVR software (ie. SAGETV?). Is this correct?

2.a. Buy SAGETV to install on my Study PC (this will become my media server) I can record TV shows from the HDHomerun onto local HHD or even LAN drives? Correct?

2.b. I also need SAGETV to serve the HDHomerun TV live or other media files saved on the HDD or LAN device to a SAGE TV HD Theatre unit? Correct?

3. I intend on buying a SAGETV HD Theatre for the bedroom (this will need to be cabled to the LAN) then plug my Royaltek PICO Projector into it.

4. I can also buy a second SAGETV HD Theatre for the main family room TV (optional)

5. I don't know what I need to allow the WiFi Netbooks (ASUS 1000H) to use SAGETV. Do I need any software on these to get my HDHomerun TV Live? Do I need another install / purchase of SAGETV or do I need SAGETV Placeshifter? Hard to figure what each product does?

I hope that is not too confusing or complicated but I am a little confused.

Waiting for expert advice

Regards

Keith
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Welcome! I'm no expert, but I'll try to help out where I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 852421 View Post
1. First off I intend on buying a HDHomeRun and this will provide HD channels on my LAN and will be seen any PC or Netbook if it has PVR software (ie. SAGETV?). Is this correct?
Yes. The HDHR can record anything digital. I honestly don't know what you can receive in Australia but it can be Over the Air or anything you might be able to get through ClearQAM. Keep in mind, ClearQAM varies for everyone. Silicondust has a nice channel search/finder on their website, you can find it here. This should help with finding what your area might have to offer.

Quote:
2.a. Buy SAGETV to install on my Study PC (this will become my media server) I can record TV shows from the HDHomerun onto local HHD or even LAN drives? Correct?

2.b. I also need SAGETV to serve the HDHomerun TV live or other media files saved on the HDD or LAN device to a SAGE TV HD Theatre unit? Correct?
Yes. I do not own a HDHR but as I understand, this is how it works. A lot of people use the HDHRs and I would love to grab one.

Quote:
3. I intend on buying a SAGETV HD Theatre for the bedroom (this will need to be cabled to the LAN) then plug my Royaltek PICO Projector into it.
If it is the small pocket projector I see, you will have to use the S-Video or Composite outputs from the HD200. It should work but you'll have some trouble with anything HD.
Quote:
5. Do I need any software on these to get my HDHomerun TV Live? Do I need another install / purchase of SAGETV or do I need SAGETV Placeshifter? Hard to figure what each product does?
You will need either the Client License or the Placeshifter License. The Placeshifter is really only necessary if you would like to use SageTV over a WAN. For home use on the LAN, the Client will be just fine.

Anyone feel free to correct any mistakes I may have made.

Here is a link to the SageTV Manual. Give this a read and it will definitely help on a lot of questions you may have.

Last edited by xxLJLxx; 03-03-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Sage User

xxLJLxx,

Thanks for taking the time. I'll read the manual for more info.

The problem you suggest with the HD200 (Is this another name for the HD Theatre?) and is the problem going to be that some sort of scaling issue will be experienced because the projector is a 640*480 native? The Projector says it can handle 800*600 and 1024*768 Not a media expert of any sort so I hope this is not a brick wall that is insurmountable?

I gather SAGETV is sold as server license and/or client license then?

Regards

Keith
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Sage Icon

The licensing can be a little confusing for a newbee.

Basically you would want 1 SageTV Media Center license. This is the main SageTV software that allows you to record TV, etc, etc and view that material on the computer it is installed on.

Besides the main license (which runs about $70 if purchased separately), there are other types of licenses. There are client liceneses which allow you to view SageTV material on another computer or HD-100 device. It runs about $30 but came free with the HD-100 device. The HD-100 was the original HD extender - a precurser to the HD THeater which is also referred to as the HD-200.

There is also a placeshifter license that allows a person to view SageTV material over the internet (like a slingbox).

The HD Theater does not need a client license to work. It is "built into" the hardware now I guess.

So if you decide to go with SageTV and plan on using the HD Theater, the best deal is to buy the HD THeater bundle for $224. This price includes the HD Theater AND the SageTV Media Center software that is required to record TV. Besides tuners (like the HDHR) it is all you need to start using SageTV and the HD Theater. In the future, if you want to buy more HD Theaters, you only need the hardware, not the bundle with the SageTV software. I think the HD Theater without the software bundle sells for around $179.99.

Hopefully that helps explain things a little.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 03-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
SageTVaholic

One small correction to the above, the HD100 requires a placeshifter license, not a SageClient license.

And one clarifier - Once you buy the SageTV Media Center license you can connect as many HD200's as you like without any additional license costs.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Sage User

Thanks everyone.

You have made me much more confident to start to invest the dollars now in all this equipment.

I am going to get for the first up just the HDHomerun and the SageTV Media Center + SAGETV HD Theatre bundle

I think I should be able to use some freeware software on the Netbooks to view the HDHomerun live and given they can access media files over LAN as well I may delay getting SAGETV clients for them.

Last question:

Just the issue about my projector being 640*480(native) and also handles inputs 800*600 and 1024*768.

I have read the SAGETV HD Theatre pdf guide and it talks about outputs Composite/S-Video/Component/HDMI and setting output resolutions but it doesn't state which resolutions are available. I will be using the composite connection (R+W+Y?) and if I could I would set the output resolution to 640*480 but if I had to I guess 800*600 or 1024*678 would also be OK for the projector.

Does anyone know what resolutions are available for output from this device?

Thanks again for the help all.

Regards

Keith

Last edited by 852421; 03-04-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Resolutions taken from here

Source resolution name - Resolution in pixels - Networks/sources
1080p - 1,920x1,080- Blu-ray players; PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360; some video-on-demand sources like Vudu
1080i - 1,920x1,080 - Includes CBS, NBC, PBS, DiscoveryHD Theater
720p - 1,280x720 - Includes ABC, Fox, ESPNHD
480p - 852x480 - Progressive-scan DVD players
480i - Up to 480 lines - All standard-definition TV broadcasts

HD200 - I believe will do all of these

Video formats supported: H.264 up to 1080p, WMV9/VC-1 up to 1080p

Mine runs at 1080i

Last edited by JetreL; 03-04-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
SageTVaholic

With the little projector, you'll be best off just setting the HD200 to 480i (since that's what you'll be sending to the projector anyways). this shouldn't impact any video playback, as it will have no problem scaling down the HD material to that resolution...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
With the little projector, you'll be best off just setting the HD200 to 480i (since that's what you'll be sending to the projector anyways). this shouldn't impact any video playback, as it will have no problem scaling down the HD material to that resolution...
Exactly. My HD200 is connected to my 15 year old 21" TV and HD source material looks great on it. No issues at all.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Sage User

All,

That's great. Thanks for the info. I wasn't expecting it to turn out so easy and so well I was expecting some show stopper which would have been bad as I already purchased the projector. But now I am very happy and looking forward to getting it all rigged up

Cheers

Keith
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

well, I'm not saying you'll find tv watching on the projector that satisfying, but it won't be sage problems stopping you.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Sage User

LOL yes I have accepted the limitations of this pico but its a case of utility rather than quality. I would go a 1080p digital proj for a main room.

Cheers

Keith
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
SageTVaholic

I just meant using a projector at all, instead of an actual display.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Sage User

You might have a point. But the missus has a rule for years of no TV in the bedroom. She said nothing of projectors

LOL

People argue about Plasma screen vs projector. I like projector ... bigger image and a projector has a certain ambience that I like for watching movies.

I can get a mid size plasma or LCD for everyday viewing of TV and get a projector for Movies. Must come down to some emotional preference maybe. I might end up being convinced on a large plasma but until I'm ready to buy a digital projector for main room anyways I don't have to decide and the longer I wait they seem to be getting better.

Keith
Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Basically, to get the same level of contrast with a projector, it has to be a VERY good projector, and be in a perfectly dark room. This is fine for movie watching, but for casual tv watching, having to close the curtains and turn out the lights can get cumbersome. especially in a bedroom, where most tv use, at least in my house, is in the morning, while getting ready, the lights out requirement can be impossible. That low powered projector might be especially poor with any sort of ambient light. Not to mention that having a nice big is great, but stretching 640x480 to 40+ inches really accentuates the poor resolution. The ~$300 you would spend on that small projector could buy you a 32 inch 720p panel at walmart, that would far exceed the projector in quality, in all light levels.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Sage User

You are entirely correct. I agree with that. I am only going to use the Pico for night time viewing instead of burning gas and heating a house so I can just fall asleep on the lounge (in my old age) trying to see the end of the F1. I have many a time awoken at the celebrations of the podium to realise I missed the race LOL

The odd movie / TV drama with the wife will be OK too.

If I was to do serious family movie watching I would get a top of the line serious projector with max contrast and HD capability. Again to be viewed in a dedicated room - nice and dark. The family room will always have a TV or new Plasma/LCD option in the future.

The pico will max at 65" but will probably be less larger than that given the distance of my mounting to the cieling which will increase brightness again.

Just convenient. You won't find me bragging about it's performance in any forum But a nice novelty all the same.

The main thing is due to the help I recieved here I think I have a pathway forward to getting the most utility and convenient use out of it for the purposes I got it for so it will fit very nicely into the planned network of media solutions in my house and this is due mainly to the SAGETV solutions I was directed to which seem pretty good value.

Keith

Last edited by 852421; 03-04-2010 at 11:35 PM.