SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

DVDs Wont Playback from WHS to Client

I just setup a Client PC getting it's media from a WHS machine. When trying to playback DVD's that have been ripped to the Server Share I get this message: "There was a Playback Error in playback. Details:
sage.PlaybackException: ERROR (-3,0x800070057): There was a problem accessing the filesystem for playback."

I have been using the server for several months with HD100 & 200 Extenders and DVD playback is fine from them.

I've installed Power DVD Player on both the server and Client with the intent of having the codecs on the WHS machine- didn't help. If I try to play a DVD on the WHS machine from Windows Explorer I get the error message: "It appears that your system is not configured correctly for DVD Playback. Additional software for audio and video decoding is required for playing DVD's and this software is either missing of not working properly. If you already have DVD software which came from your computer, try reinstalling it or.... " then a picture of DVD Xpack XP and a button that says "Get Intervideo DVD Xpack" When clicking on that button it takes me to the Corel Website that wants me to buy MP3+DVD Xpack for $19.95, or DVD Xpack for 14.95. Do I need this? Shouldn't installing PowerDVD given me the required Codecs?

If I try to play a physical DVD on the Server with Power DVD I get this error: PowerDVD is running through Remote Terminal Services, due to content protection, media content will be prohibited". This could at least partially because I am putting the DVD in the WHS machine but my WHS access is on the 'Console' on the Client.

I don't know if the issues above are related to the Sage problem, or just sending me down a bum path?

In Sage setup I have import paths set to the WHS Share for Videos.

Would sure appreciate any help on this. Sorry for being so wordy above but wanted to get all the info out there I could think of.

Thanks,
Rod
Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
There was a problem accessing the filesystem for playback.
The error message means what it says: there's a problem getting access to the files. It's not a codec issue; it's a network path or file permissions issue.

When you added the import directory to Sage, did you use the local drive letter or the UNC path? SageTV Client can't access server resources by drive letter, so you need to import them by UNC path so the path will be meaningful to the client.

Also make sure the logged-in user on the client machine has permission to access those shares.

This is not to say there might not be a codec issue as well, but you need to clear up this access issue first.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Greg,

Thanks very much for the prompt response.

"The error message means what it says: there's a problem getting access to the files. It's not a codec issue; it's a network path or file permissions issue. When you added the import directory to Sage, did you use the local drive letter or the UNC path? SageTV Client can't access server resources by drive letter, so you need to import them by UNC path so the path will be meaningful to the client."

I set the Import Directory with the Share Drive Letter. Interesting that this works in Sage to show the list of all the movies, just not to play them. I'd like to set the UNC path but don't know what it is or it's syntax to put in Sage.

"Also make sure the logged-in user on the client machine has permission to access those shares."

From the Client I can access everything using the Windows Home Server Console. I can also use Windows Explorer on the Client, go to the video folder for a particular movie and play it using the .VOB file. It opens JR Media Center and plays.

"This is not to say there might not be a codec issue as well, but you need to clear up this access issue first."

Thanks a lot for your efforts Greg.

Rod

Last edited by nwboater; 05-03-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
I set the Import Directory with the Share Drive Letter. Interesting that this works in Sage to show the list of all the movies, just not to play them. I'd like to set the UNC path but don't know what it is or it's syntax to put in Sage.
The import database is populated on the server, which has access to that drive letter. The actual playback happens on the client, which does not. That's why it's best to set up your imports using UNC paths that have the same meaning on all machines. (If you don't know what a UNC path is, click here.)
Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
The import database is populated on the server, which has access to that drive letter. The actual playback happens on the client, which does not. That's why it's best to set up your imports using UNC paths that have the same meaning on all machines. (If you don't know what a UNC path is, click here.)
It works. I put the following for the Video Import Directory: \\mellserver\videos\dvd movies\

I can now play movies on the Client.

Thanks so much Greg! I learned something new and got it working.

Rod
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Sage User

I had this same issue except I was using unc paths. I have WHS and Sage automatically setup the paths using \\localhost\videos. I created a folder named Movies_TV and made it a share and put in \\localhost\Movies_TV. What is odd is that my Blu-Ray rips worked fine with \\localhost (as well as video files) but DVDs would not (they were all in the same share). I changed it to \\server1 (my server name) and now DVDs work. So why would Blu-Ray rips work fine and DVDs not under the same share, same path and same import directory name (\\localhost). For those unfamiliar with localhost, it is the name of the current computer you are on. Which does make one wonder why SageClient would resolve \\localhost to my server for all my Blu-Ray rips and video files unless SageTV Client internally knew to resolve it to the server name.