SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
same problem here, started a few weeks ago - can't isolate why, but it's likely got something to do with partially rebuilding my SageTV Properties and my wiz.bin files. Is it possible a JAVA update broke it?
Did you upgrade to Java 8 at that time?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Just an FYI for everyone using this - change the user/password from sage/frey. If you run shodan you can find systems running Sage-Jetty and it doesn't take too long to find at least one system still using the default.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Just an FYI for everyone using this - change the user/password from sage/frey. If you run shodan you can find systems running Sage-Jetty and it doesn't take too long to find at least one system still using the default.
Yeah, the next iteration of a web interface should make it mandatory to change the username and password from the default.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-20-2017, 11:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Jetty Web Server 2.3.0.14 for Sage v7

OK, I uninstalled every single plugin on my v.7 install.
Went and found Jetty Web Server 2.3.0.14
Clicked install, and for the zillionth time this week, was greeted with:

Plugin Install Progress: Done- FAILED- Resource Download http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...ip?use_mirror=

same thing, every time, for two weeks now.

Does anyone have any idea what the sage is going on?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-20-2017, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK, I uninstalled every single plugin on my v.7 install.
Went and found Jetty Web Server 2.3.0.14
Clicked install, and for the zillionth time this week, was greeted with:

Plugin Install Progress: Done- FAILED- Resource Download http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...ip?use_mirror=

same thing, every time, for two weeks now.

Does anyone have any idea what the sage is going on?
You could move to V9... These plugins are not hosted on sourceforge in v9.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
This is really the best option for most people right now. When I finally moved myself to v9, it was because of a serious problem I was having in v7. Ever since, I haven't looked back.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
This is really the best option for most people right now. When I finally moved myself to v9, it was because of a serious problem I was having in v7. Ever since, I haven't looked back.
sigh....lol. OK, I guess I'm just putting off the inevitable anyway. My only concern with 9 is that it will take even more, upper-level programming knowledge just to keep it functioning (32 bit or 64 bit - I see there's an argument for that already, as development for 64 bit is lagging?).
thanks
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
so there's no way to install it manually, as lots of other plugins (BMT for example) seem to need Jetty installed to work.

I've found and downloaded the Jetty zip file from another thread, but don't really understand how or where to install the files

Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
so there's no way to install it manually, as lots of other plugins (BMT for example) seem to need Jetty installed to work.

I've found and downloaded the Jetty zip file from another thread, but don't really understand how or where to install the files

It's probably good that you don't know how to install the .zip file... that's what the plugin system is for. Please, IN BOLD, let people know that you are asking for help with plugins that you are manually trying to install, so they can re-act accordingly

Just let go... move to V9... you have to do it anyways (if you are planning using sagetv to record TV -- since the EPG is going away.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
sigh....lol. OK, I guess I'm just putting off the inevitable anyway. My only concern with 9 is that it will take even more, upper-level programming knowledge just to keep it functioning (32 bit or 64 bit - I see there's an argument for that already, as development for 64 bit is lagging?).
thanks
While I can appreciate the complexity of SageTV now that I can see the source code, it is not necessary for the average user to completely understand the things that happen behind the scenes. Having problems in v9 is about the same as having problems in v7, except in v9 someone might actually be able to fix it or improve it. Typically you will be asked for logs when you're having a problem which is exactly the same thing that happens in v7.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It's probably good that you don't know how to install the .zip file... that's what the plugin system is for. Please, IN BOLD, let people know that you are asking for help with plugins that you are manually trying to install, so they can re-act accordingly

Just let go... move to V9... you have to do it anyways (if you are planning using sagetv to record TV -- since the EPG is going away.
that is of course, why I asked first. I'm crazy sometimes, but not insane. Of course 9 is the way to go, I just have other things on my plates for the next few weeks, and was hoping to have the ability to program/check recordings, etc., remotely on V7, which at the moment isn't working.
And, we've still got five months of EPG left. But yes, eventually, 9 will be installed...
Old 01-20-2017, 03:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
While I can appreciate the complexity of SageTV now that I can see the source code, it is not necessary for the average user to completely understand the things that happen behind the scenes. Having problems in v9 is about the same as having problems in v7, except in v9 someone might actually be able to fix it or improve it. Typically you will be asked for logs when you're having a problem which is exactly the same thing that happens in v7.
yup, I understand an concur. I got lucky this time - found a b.u. drive where I had cloned my install from six months ago. Saved Sage Properties and WizBin, reinstalled old install, and everything seems to be back up and running for now, WITH remote access included
thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 12:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
thanks
I don't think I understand where this idea is coming from. what makes you think you need any programming knowledge to run v9?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-21-2017, 01:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I don't think I understand where this idea is coming from. what makes you think you need any programming knowledge to run v9?
I read your entries. You know a great deal more about computers and their language then the average person, me included. Which is why you don't understand it: it's second nature for you, it comes easily. Pretty simple really.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Maybe that view came from the fact that if you want V9 with the most improvements you should move to a Linux install as it isn't clear when (or if) the Windows version will be moving forward so that it is a fully 64 bit version. And Linux generally requires a bit more computer knowledge, especially when it comes to using the CLI. And it appears that most, if not all, of the developers of SageTV or running a Linux version, at least as their server.

That is why I decided to stop waiting for the Windows version and move to using unRAID as my server.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Maybe that view came from the fact that if you want V9 with the most improvements you should move to a Linux install as it isn't clear when (or if) the Windows version will be moving forward so that it is a fully 64 bit version. And Linux generally requires a bit more computer knowledge, especially when it comes to using the CLI. And it appears that most, if not all, of the developers of SageTV or running a Linux version, at least as their server.

That is why I decided to stop waiting for the Windows version and move to using unRAID as my server.
And to be clear... there is a fully packaged V9 Windows version, but it's 32bit. So if you are running Sage7, which is 32bit, then moving to 32bit V9 is the same. Really people are moving to linux, ONLY if they want 64bit.

So, you can use the 32bit Windows and be just as up to date as the 64bit linux. To that point, if you wanted a 32bit linux build, that isn't being produced either (although can you manually build it, if you want).

Bottom line, is if you are happy with SageTV7 and all you know is how to install software... then that exists, right now.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I read your entries. You know a great deal more about computers and their language then the average person, me included. Which is why you don't understand it: it's second nature for you, it comes easily. Pretty simple really.
My point of the question was that there is no difference in configuring v9 than v7. The implication made was that v9 was more difficult to setup and use, and that only programmers could do it (but somehow v7 was okay) That's what was confusing me.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My point of the question was that there is no difference in configuring v9 than v7. The implication made was that v9 was more difficult to setup and use, and that only programmers could do it (but somehow v7 was okay) That's what was confusing me.
Ok, I'll give it a try. But I'll find you if it all goes pear shaped lol...
Old 01-22-2017, 10:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ok, I'll give it a try. But I'll find you if it all goes pear shaped lol...
I still honestly, wanted to know where the idea came from that it was a different experience, because I want to fix that.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I still honestly, wanted to know where the idea came from that it was a different experience, because I want to fix that.
Part of it might be that to really keep updated you have to set up a build environment.

It would be beneficial for there to be an automated build system when there's a commit to GitHub. Also being able to update the Sage.jar and STV from within SageTV would be very helpful towards making it more user friendly.

I'm an IT professional and developer so it was nothing for me to spin up a VM to handle builds. But otherwise I would have to wait weeks sometime months for Stuckless to update his Docker. Nothing against him, he does a great job with the time he has. But like everyone his time is limited.

Some automation and update ability would be great.