SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

I guess the problem is that I can't get DTS to work without a receiver but with the TV's alone. Plenty of examples where I don't have a receiver and can't use one in that situation. So I would prefer to use a decent machine to pass the capable audio track? Does that make any sense?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I suppose.. I'm just saying that alone shouldn't be a driving factor in making a PC Client vice using an extender.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

That is the biggest reason! Why else?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
That is the biggest reason! Why else?
Full BluRay playback (including menus, BDLive and HDAudio). 3D video. Gaming. Web Browsing. Hulu Desktop. Simple automation tasks (like my PC Client controlling my TV's power/input via Serial). Probably a lot more, but those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
You could always start your transition now and you wouldn't be any worse off than you are now (single HTPC) while waiting for the extenders.
Well, no worse off except that it costs me money; takes time to set up and learn a new application; forces me to chose either installing 6.6 and then doing a second cycle (with more time & learning) to v7, or installing beta software, I lose the opportunity for discount from buying a bundle, and I lose the opportunity to adapt to the changing marketplace if a better option comes up (who knows, one day someone at microsoft mike wake up on the right side ofthe bed and decide to finally provide softsled now tht the extender market has essentially died). And undergo all that without even getting the single benefit that I looked at sagetv for in the first place, a whole house solution.

But other than all that I'm no worse off Curious, do you actually go and spend time & money and effort with the explicit goal of being "no worse off than I started?" lol
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Sage Fanatic

I didn't make the comment but I have to say I am excited about building the machine for the sake of building it. I moved to "the apple" and haven't wrenched on a computer in a while so I think it will be fun!

But I agree and believe that building a new machine is not a great alternative to the extender. The extender is no hassle. It is the same reason I like Xbox over PC games. I always have OS problems or driver problems or hardware issues when trying to play PC games. Put a disc in the Xbox and have at it no worries. Seems good to me!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanville View Post
Well, no worse off except that it costs me money; takes time to set up and learn a new application; forces me to chose either installing 6.6 and then doing a second cycle (with more time & learning) to v7, or installing beta software, I lose the opportunity for discount from buying a bundle, and I lose the opportunity to adapt to the changing marketplace if a better option comes up (who knows, one day someone at microsoft mike wake up on the right side ofthe bed and decide to finally provide softsled now tht the extender market has essentially died). And undergo all that without even getting the single benefit that I looked at sagetv for in the first place, a whole house solution.

But other than all that I'm no worse off Curious, do you actually go and spend time & money and effort with the explicit goal of being "no worse off than I started?" lol
If you don't want to mess with this stuff why not just buy a Tivo?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
If you don't want to mess with this stuff why not just buy a Tivo?
If you do not understand the difference in capabilities between sagetv and tivo, I think you should educate yourself more about each, before continuing to dispense unsolicited and counterproductive advice here.

Last edited by mmanville; 08-28-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you do not understand the difference in capabilities between sagetv and tivo, I think you should educate yourself more about each, before continuing to dispense unsolicited and counterproductive advice here.
That's really no different than a sarcastic response you made about 'purchasing because you'd be no worse off'. If you already understand the capabilities of SageTV, then why even entertain the idea of an MCE setup?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
I just timed a cold boot. It took 50 seconds from inserting the power cable to Sage main menu. In an earlier post I timed a warm boot at 14 seconds. My question is why does cold boot time matter? You should be leaving it plugged in and use the power button on the remote to start it up.
You may want to save power for every little helps. There may have been a power outage or the HD200 has been inadvertently unplugged. Either way it's damn frustrating to have to wait five minutes for my HD200 to be ready for use.

I obviously got a bad one but as it worked & everybody else seemed to have the same startup times I didn't return it not least because I live in France & it would be a big hassle & expensive to get it replaced. In fact it sounds like you too have a defective unit as Stach & gplasky say that their HD200s are ready in just 15 seconds not the 50 seconds that you wait.

If there is ever new stock of the HD200 & I am able to purchase another I shall definitely return it if it doesn't have a 15 second startup.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

The last time I had actually timed my cold boot time was a year ago. So seeing some people with slightly longer boot time I just retimed mine again.
Power off cold boot
Black screen with logo=8 seconds
Connecting screen=60 seconds
Blue background Sage logo=75 seconds (I have an 8 second wait time)
Final Sage Home screen=80 seconds

Warm boot
Final Sage screen=25 seconds (With an 8 second wait time.)

So if the wait time was 0 I have a minute and 10 second cold boot and a 17 second warm boot. This is more in line with other users but definitely no 5 minutes. I believe the power usage of the HD200 not completely powered off is between 3-6 watts. If I had a 5 minute cold boot time I certainly wouldn't be concerned with the monies saved from using 3 watts. Are you sure you don't have you server set to allow the network card to sleep? (Not the PC to sleep.) That could cause a long connect time.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
The last time I had actually timed my cold boot time was a year ago. So seeing some people with slightly longer boot time I just retimed mine again.
Power off cold boot
Black screen with logo=8 seconds
Connecting screen=60 seconds
Blue background Sage logo=75 seconds (I have an 8 second wait time)
Final Sage Home screen=80 seconds

Warm boot
Final Sage screen=25 seconds (With an 8 second wait time.)

So if the wait time was 0 I have a minute and 10 second cold boot and a 17 second warm boot. This is more in line with other users but definitely no 5 minutes. I believe the power usage of the HD200 not completely powered off is between 3-6 watts. If I had a 5 minute cold boot time I certainly wouldn't be concerned with the monies saved from using 3 watts. Are you sure you don't have you server set to allow the network card to sleep? (Not the PC to sleep.) That could cause a long connect time.

Gerry
I still have a long boot time even if the HD200 is in standalone mode & not connected to a network but just has a USB stick with video files.

Unfortunately I cannot run a test & time it right now as at the moment my wife is watching Roger Moore in in the James Bond film 'Moonraker'on ITV1 HD but will run a test when the HD200 is not in use. I haven't tested for some time & it's not impossible that a firmware update has improved the cold boot time. Both Stach & gplasky have HD200s that are ready in 15 seconds not the 1 minute plus that you have so there is obviously still room for improvement.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCE-Refugee View Post
I still have a long boot time even if the HD200 is in standalone mode & not connected to a network but just has a USB stick with video files.

Unfortunately I cannot run a test & time it right now as at the moment my wife is watching Roger Moore in in the James Bond film 'Moonraker'on ITV1 HD but will run a test when the HD200 is not in use. I haven't tested for some time & it's not impossible that a firmware update has improved the cold boot time. Both Stach & gplasky have HD200s that are ready in 15 seconds not the 1 minute plus that you have so there is obviously still room for improvement.
See if the boot times are different with and without the usb key.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Sage Expert

Ok... lets back back to wishlists for the upcoming HD300. Yes, I am kidding about the HD300 since I have no inside knowledge of such a product.

I would like HD AUdio bitstreaming. That is all.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550 View Post
Ok... lets back back to wishlists for the upcoming HD300.
Here are a couple:

- Move LEDs to the rear or give you the option of shutting them off with settings
- Make the remote and cables optional - save $20 or so with a bare unit - just AC adapter (I have 5 extenders and I use Harmony remotes - I don't need another Sage remote)
- Provide a proper power switch so you don't have to pull the plug to fully reboot
- Give an easier way to get from Sage TV extender mode to HD200 standalone/config mode rather than a Power cycle
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Here are a couple:

- Move LEDs to the rear or give you the option of shutting them off with settings
- Make the remote and cables optional - save $20 or so with a bare unit - just AC adapter (I have 5 extenders and I use Harmony remotes - I don't need another Sage remote)
- Provide a proper power switch so you don't have to pull the plug to fully reboot
- Give an easier way to get from Sage TV extender mode to HD200 standalone/config mode rather than a Power cycle
- I couldn't agree more about the LEDs. With a HD100, TV, STB, wireless bridge, air filters, rechargeable toothbrush and CD player all proudly displaying BRIGHT LEDs, our master bedroom would be like a Christmas tree at night without the judicious application of black electrical tape.
- My HD100 has a power switch; and, although I would buy the HD200 if it were available, I can see where that is a real shortcoming.
- Standalone mode would not be very useful to me; but I can see where easy mode-switching would be a priority for those who do use it.
- As for including cables and a remote, I doubt that it costs that much extra to include them; but, if they were to make it optional, the price to pay for that option would likely be much more than the cost.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I'll bet you the remote cost is about a couple of dollars. Same for the cables. But this IS the reason they don't add a fancy remote like you see for Boxee. I mean that TiVo QWERTY remote control is awesome, but it costs almost as much as an extender!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That's really no different than a sarcastic response you made about 'purchasing because you'd be no worse off'. If you already understand the capabilities of SageTV, then why even entertain the idea of an MCE setup?
You're right, it was sarcastic & therefor unnecessary. If I was starting from scratch I probably would go the SageTV route & try to be patient as Clift suggested. But I'm not starting from scratch, I've had an MCE box for about 4 years now, and that continues to do most everything I would get from Sage until I can get the HD extenders to pair with the server (some things worse maybe, but some things better).
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If I was starting from scratch I probably would go the SageTV route & try to be patient as Clift suggested. But I'm not starting from scratch, I've had an MCE box for about 4 years now, and that continues to do most everything I would get from Sage until I can get the HD extenders to pair with the server (some things worse maybe, but some things better).
I appreciate your frustration. My situation is different. I started with Sage and I already have an HD200. However, this spring (when I get my income tax refund) I plan on getting another extender and an HDPVR (or a better solution, if available) or perhaps build a client PC. Now if Sage is out of stock this spring, I'll be quite annoyed.
With my luck, they will be back in stock, then run out just before I get my refund money in my grubby little hands.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney B.A. View Post
I appreciate your frustration.
If not "appreciate", at least we should be sensitive to his frustration. I say this because we (the SageTV community) benefit when the "community" is expanded. A larger customer base enjoys economies of scale; support is enhanced from both Sage and forum participation; and the developers have the incentive to keep up with the latest developments. Initially, i started with MCE 2005 because it was the easy thing to do; and for two years, I endured the various DRM issues that came with it. I then tried BeyondTV, which had good PVR capabilities but not much else, especially support for its mediocre media center offering. After tuirning to SageTV several years ago, I've never looked back.

Having said all this, I agree with the points made by both Clift and mmanville; but, perhaps we have not explained in this particular thread, discussing HD200 Stock, all of the benefits of changing to SageTV. I suggest reading Fuzzy's comments (somewhere) on why a PC client is especially beneficial; I have alluded to DRM issues, which Sage avoids; Sage's client/server model addresses whole house requirements (and beyond); the SageTV Community is very active and helpful when problems arise; the SageTV API is open to all who have an interest in developing plugins; Sage, unlike Micro$oft, listens and responds to the needs of its customer base; and, most importantly, the core capabilities of SageTV are excellent and can be counted on to be well supported going forward.

I'm sure there are other benefits that I forgot to mention; and, realizing all of the benefits, it is my hope that mmanville and many others will become SageTV converts. Now, get the darned HD200s (or HD300s) back in stock to make our sales pitch a little easier.

Tags
hd200, stock, store