SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Dang, I hate it when new TOYS come out when I'm out of money.

I'd love to get my hands on a few of the HD300's. I think 1 for starters to replace my HTPC, and eventually a few more as I need them.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Pre-Ordered 2

Invoice
Order #48122 Date: 09/02/2010 05:39:58 PDT

This SageTV thing is getting bad for my health and bank balance

That will be 4 extenders, 1 WHS and 2 HD Homeruns for home-wide abuse by SageTV 7

Clients: 3 HD300s, 2 HD200s, 1 PS3
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCE-Refugee View Post
Looks like it might be an opportunity to pick up some bargain HD200s on eBay as the HD200 does all I need. Although it's difficult to resist a shiny new toy.
I wonder how much the HD-200s will go for on eBay. I would think about $100 or less.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I wonder how much the HD-200s will go for on eBay. I would think about $100 or less.
I certainly wouldn't pay $100 for used "old" technology when I can get the newest one for $150 with a warranty.

I'd think $50 to $75. HD100's maybe $20 to $50.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

For those prices I will keep them. Has anyone tried using an extender from outside their home network from like a Hotel or a friends house?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Those of us running Sage V6 because of lack of Mac support in V7 could care less
Good point. Im PC server and running mac laptops wishing that they would release the 7 client for the mac!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
Good point. Im PC server and running mac laptops wishing that they would release the 7 client for the mac!!!
Sorry my fault I bought my first mac book and of course can't run sage 7 on it figures as soon as I buy one....
Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
For those prices I will keep them. Has anyone tried using an extender from outside their home network from like a Hotel or a friends house?
Yes, I have used my HD200 to watch TV at the office conneted to my SageTV server at home & it worked as advertised. Don't forget that you need pretty decent network at both ends particularly the upload link where the server resides.

Last edited by MCE-Refugee; 09-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhorer View Post
I'm sure there are other benefits that I forgot to mention; and, realizing all of the benefits, it is my hope that mmanville and many others will become SageTV converts. Now, get the darned HD200s (or HD300s) back in stock to make our sales pitch a little easier.
Well, your hopes have been realized - I am placing an order for the bundle, a very sweet deal. All's well that ends well I guess -- I wasn't able to begin the switch to Sage in my summer downtime, but as compensation I am getting a better product at a lower price!

My thanks to you & all others on this thread that were understanding, respectful, and helpful.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I have used my HD200 to watch TV at the office conneted to my SageTV server at home & it worked as advertised. Don't forget that you need pretty decent network at both ends particularly the upload link where the server resides.
Brent has a guest-written piece about this on Geektonic.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
My one issue is the size. I guess the smaller size will make it convenient to place the box behind a LCD on the wall. That is great. The one problem is that some of the other places I have HD200's I have rigid CL2 HDMI cables and they aren't very flexible. Plugging them in to a small box is probably going to make the box move since it has little weight. That make sense?
I would suggest picing up a couple of "port saver" hdmi adaptors from Monoprice to plug between your heavy HDMI cable and your devices. Relieves the strain.

-Suntan
Old 09-03-2010, 11:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Or use smaller HDMI cables.. ;-) it's not like the big, heavy duty cables, make the 1's and 0's heavier..

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I wrote an article for Brent's site on how to do it. It was nice being on vacation last year watching the news from back home. The instructions include how to share from a window's pc that has wireless access. But if you can connect straight to the network with the HD200 you won't need to do that.

http://www.geektonic.com/2009/06/pla...d-theater.html

Dave
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugenbdd View Post
I wrote an article for Brent's site on how to do it. It was nice being on vacation last year watching the news from back home. The instructions include how to share from a window's pc that has wireless access. But if you can connect straight to the network with the HD200 you won't need to do that.

http://www.geektonic.com/2009/06/pla...d-theater.html

Dave
Yes - excellent article Dave. I'm actually using that guest-post of yours to try this out with my HD300 this weekend. Net connection will be less than desirable so I don't have my hopes up too much for this trip.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Or use smaller HDMI cables.. ;-) it's not like the big, heavy duty cables, make the 1's and 0's heavier..
hey, that's like saying lite beer is as good as a real killians..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
hey, that's like saying lite beer is as good as a real draft beer on tap..............
Old 09-04-2010, 04:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
hey, that's like saying lite beer is as good as a real killians..............
I hope that was a joke...I really get frustrated by stores and advertisements pushing overpriced "better" or "1080p compatible" or now "3d compatible" hdmi cable. A hdmi cable is and hdmi cable unless you are getting over about 40'.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

mostly a joke, of course, assuming you allow for the existence of bad hdmi cables, of which i've had my share (not in the last couple of years though).

i had a time when my ziova network media player has 'sparklies' on screen, random colorful dots that outlined images..........this was cleared up by replacing the hdmi cable.........the exact mechanism is unknown, at least to me, and the new working cable was NOT heavier
Old 09-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

I just wanted to clarify that a lot of my cables are 35 feet plus CL2 so they are thicker gauge conductors and thicker skin to protect them in the wall and for pulling. Also the strain relief is pretty rigid. I have some port savers (my closet looks like a monoprice annex) that I will try, it was a good idea)

I love the convenience of HDMI but hate hate hate the HDCP issues related to signal issues on long cables.

I just replaced a bad cable that was doing the sparkly thing and I have another one that needs to be changed sooner than later!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I love the convenience of HDMI but hate hate hate the HDCP issues related to signal issues on long cables.
Hmmm... Personally, I hate the design too. It is an ok (at best) interface for plugging a 3 foot cable from a TV to a dvd player, but it is inadequate for any type of structured wiring. The fact that they didn’t offer a more robust version (with real strain relief features) in the specification means that people who want to run CL2 wire over decent distances have to deal with constant connector problems.

And yeah, anyone that can show me where to find 28AWG cables that are light and flimsy to connect to the back of a component, but also CL2 code compliant and able to work at 35’, I’d be impressed.

-Suntan
Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Proper structured wiring would terminate in a box, not go to the unit. You'd have an HDMI jack on a cover plate, and then could use light weight, no CL2 cable from the plate to the component. The HDMI standard's timing is good for up to 50ft. For longer runs, repeaters are available (and yes, the repeaters are HDCP compliant). Ideally, though, you'd be distributing over long distance with ethernet, and have your extenders near the playback device.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Tags
hd200, stock, store