SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

yes, and md5 file so we know the text wasn't edited after the fact
Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Sage Expert

Just my two-cents: I can't imagine a HD300 on the near-horizon. I don't see how it would make any sense for Sage. Developing/supporting a new unit takes resources, and how much functionality is there to add right now other than HD sound? (I suspect other users will straighten me out here though : ) )

For what it's worth, I recently email Sage about fixing my HD100 and they said alternatively they'd give me $20 off the HD200 when it cam eback in stock.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

If the HD300 came out it'd take about a week before someone complained that it didn't support 3D. Hmm, maybe the HD300 will be 3D.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
If the HD300 came out it'd take about a week before someone complained that it didn't support 3D. Hmm, maybe the HD300 will be 3D.
The HD200 plays back 3d afaik
Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post

For what it's worth, I recently email Sage about fixing my HD100 and they said alternatively they'd give me $20 off the HD200 when it cam eback in stock.
Maybe it's a HD200.5
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
The HD200 plays back 3d afaik
That would depend on the format. Left/Right half resolution would work.. but that's assuming your display can accept that as an input format.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
Just my two-cents: I can't imagine a HD300 on the near-horizon. I don't see how it would make any sense for Sage.
It makes some sense. Personally, I have no plans to buy a player that doesn’t support HD audio bitstreaming. I’ll take my money elsewhere. I’d buy an HD300 with that support as soon as they announced it, but if they just announce that they have more HD200s in stock, I’ll go get one of those new Dunes that are price competitive with the HD200, but with better playback support for Blu Ray material.

Personally for me, I would like to have another Sage player for the basement so the interface is the same as the other TVs, but for the basement better Blu Ray playback support is more important than being able to schedule TV recordings.

Feel free to continue prancing around declaring that you don’t have a desire for an updated extender, that’s fine. Just don’t assume that the rest of us feel the same way. The reality is that there is a large market for media players and it is growing day by day. Support for HD audio bitstreaming is a mandatory requirement for a lot of people now.

-Suntan
Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, how DARE you specifically include Suntan in your post... Honestly though.. the percentage of people who even have a single HD reveiver in their homes is limited. Those that have one at every set is probably far less than 0.1%. Now, that doesn't mean they need to get DTS downmixing working on the HD200, but I don't see he overwhelming need for the HD300, other than market parity.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Yeah, how DARE you specifically include Suntan in your post... Honestly though.. the percentage of people who even have a single HD reveiver in their homes is limited. Those that have one at every set is probably far less than 0.1%. Now, that doesn't mean they need to get DTS downmixing working on the HD200, but I don't see he overwhelming need for the HD300, other than market parity.
Well, I have 4 HD TVs and 4 HD200s in my home. To make my BD movies work at every TV I have to include an AC3 track with every movie or have an AV receiver at each location. A lot of work for me (or more money and wasted space for receiver/speakers where not really needed)

If Sage could downmix DTS with the HD200 I think they already would have.

We need an extender that does downmix. That would be an HD300 I think.

I'll be buying 4 when they become available.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Agreed, I could see myself upgrading and selling my old one just for this capability. I hate having to remix an AC3 track on my Blu-rays. I'd like to just leave them completely untouched. I don't even need lossless, (but it would be nice), just the ability to at least playback the core DTS track would be enough to make me happy.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yeah, how DARE you specifically include Suntan in your post...
Ha Ha's aside, a quick read through the various (non-sage) forums shows that there is a big desire for streamers and media players, most people won't even entertain the notion of the Sage extenders when they hear that they don't support HD audio, let alone regular DTS.

Anyway, the comment was how someone didn't see how it would make any sense for Sage to release an HD300. The reality is that there is a market for an updated streamer with DTS decode bare minimum, full HD audio preferably.

-Suntan
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
Well, I have 4 HD TVs and 4 HD200s in my home. To make my BD movies work at every TV I have to include an AC3 track with every movie or have an AV receiver at each location. A lot of work for me (or more money and wasted space for receiver/speakers where not really needed)

If Sage could downmix DTS with the HD200 I think they already would have.

We need an extender that does downmix. That would be an HD300 I think.

I'll be buying 4 when they become available.
Sage already has the components to be able to do this in the sage server (SageTVTranscoder). It would be a matter of them developing a method for transcoding the audio, while leaving the video untouched (copy mode in ffdshow). Ever notice that DTS files play fine in placeshifter mode? DTS wasn't a 'real' issue until BluRay's became more common, because prior to that, DTS was always just an 'extra'.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
can we get a clarification of exactly what george said?
@HelenWaters and cat6man:

What George litterally 'said' was:

'We should have more HD Extenders this month if everything goes well.'

I assumed this to be HD200's.

# Smiley
Old 08-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
@HelenWaters and cat6man:

What George litterally 'said' was:

'We should have more HD Extenders this month if everything goes well.'

I assumed this to be HD200's.

# Smiley
Thanks, Smiley. That gives me hope for an HD300. Now we continue to wait.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 08-20-2010, 07:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm hoping for an HD400.

100 - 200 - 400 - 800. Seems like it makes more sense to double
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
I'm hoping for an HD400.

100 - 200 - 400 - 800. Seems like it makes more sense to double
I'm thinking that HD1000 will be pretty sweet. Holograph-ready and all.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Sage already has the components to be able to do this in the sage server (SageTVTranscoder). It would be a matter of them developing a method for transcoding the audio, while leaving the video untouched (copy mode in ffdshow). Ever notice that DTS files play fine in placeshifter mode? DTS wasn't a 'real' issue until BluRay's became more common, because prior to that, DTS was always just an 'extra'.
I don't think they would take this approach. One of the huge benefits of the HD200 is that there is no transcoding on the server.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
I don't think they would take this approach. One of the huge benefits of the HD200 is that there is no transcoding on the server.
Transcoding the audio only is not much work at all. It's certainly a better solution than the silence DTS rips contain on the HD200 now.

Keep in mind, i don't own an HD200, not just because of the DTS issues - My bluray rips DO play back with sound just fine on my MVP though... ;-)

either way, a 'proper' server-client system would communicate some sort of capabilities from the client to the server (like whether it can decode DTS, Ac3, or just stereo sound), and the server would selectively transcode the required portions to make playback 'just work'.

For instance, 'SageTVTranscoder.exe -i SleepingBeauty.m2ts -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 SleepingBeauty.mkv' Will transcode JUST the audio, leaving the video untouched. On my Sage Server (Phenom II 550), it transcodes at about 330fps, over 13x realtime, meaning on my system, on the fly transcoding of the DTS to AC3 would result in about 8% extra CPU usage on a one of my two cores... Hardly a major hit to system performance.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 08-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

I don't think any of us would be opposed to the DTS transcoding fix that has been asked for for a long time. The fact remains that it has not been supported.

And with no hint of it in v7, it doesn't look likely any time soon.

-Suntan
Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

That's because the fix isn't in v7...it's in the soon to be released HD300

Said HD300 probably also includes support for the DRM required by CableLabs and Netflix and everything else magical on the wishlist for Christmas.

Tags
hd200, stock, store