SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by turak
any updates from Jeff on this?
Hi Turak,

No updates yet. However, Being a developer myself I know that when you aren't talking to them they are up to there eyeballs in code.

If my hunch is correct, give him a few days to Respond / recover.

Regards,

Mark
Old 04-28-2004, 12:20 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by mandrews44
Hi Turak,

No updates yet. However, Being a developer myself I know that when you aren't talking to them they are up to there eyeballs in code.

If my hunch is correct, give him a few days to Respond / recover.

Regards,

Mark
I'm a developer also. So I know how it goes. I have a feeling there are alot of developers/sysadmins on this board. Just wondering if he's identified the bug yet.

Last edited by turak; 04-28-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Turak,

I have not heard anything from him today (Tuesday) but hopefully I will soon even if it is an acknologement of the bug and confirmation of him working on it. However, if by me not getting that confirmation means we get the program fixed faster, I will be even happier.

Anyway, let's give it a few days.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited by mandrews44; 04-28-2004 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

fwiw, i upgraded both server and client last night to 2.017RC2 and now my client hangs when I change channels--haven't timed it but could be about 27 seconds (in that ballpark) and then either executes the channel change or just shuts down--without warning--that is, the window just disappears and there are no sage threads listed in winxp's task manager.
I can then restart the client and go through the whole drill again.
what is interesting here is I am using a cabled connection between server and client, not wireless, with a 50' cable and a linksys router as the hub.
i seem to be able to ff and rw ok on the client
some minor stuttering
on the bright side, the server seems to be able to use the hardware out on the pvr-350 which is a new phenomenon for me--never worked before.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by maximumpig
... and then either executes the channel change or just shuts down--without warning--that is, the window just disappears and there are no sage threads listed in winxp's task manager.
I can then restart the client and go through the whole drill again.
what is interesting here is I am using a cabled connection between server and client, not wireless, with a 50' cable and a linksys router as the hub.
I have exactly the same problem on the client side I'm also on cabled (100Mbs) network. I'm using a Netgear router as switch.
After reverting to .15 on the server side and leaving .17 on the client, all works fine again...

-Matt
Old 04-28-2004, 12:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

THANK GOD!! I thought I was the only person experiencing these PVR350 related crashes where SageTVClient just "dissapears". It happens when I watch LiveTV on SageTVClient when the LiveTV is being pulled from the SageRecorder that runs on the same system as the SageTVClient. When you change channels, it will "crash" (silently exit, not hs_err_pid file or nothin) .

I suspect this has to do with simultaneous overlapping commands from SageTVClient and SageRecorder being sent to the PVR350. Jeff has put in some synchronization but he may have missed something.

PLEASE REPORT THESE BUGS directly to Frey. =)

-Dan
Old 04-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

misery loves company. . .
Old 04-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by dvsing
I suspect this has to do with simultaneous overlapping commands from SageTVClient and SageRecorder being sent to the PVR350. Jeff has put in some synchronization but he may have missed something.
Well, I have the problem but I'm not using SageRecorder on the client! I only use the TV-Out of the PVR-350. Recording is done in the server where I have three PVR 250s installed.

-Matt
Old 04-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by turak
I'm a developer also. So I know how it goes. I have a feeling There are alot of developers/sysadmins on this board. Just wondering if he's identified the bug yet.
Turak,

Just an FYI, I have submitted another report to Jeff after he sent send some files to generate a more detailed log. I believe we have located at least the routine this issue is coming from. Of course there is no ETA and I don't expect one. (I am sure this isn't the only thing on Jeff's plate).

Just wanted to let you and others know good progress is being made on this and I feel we are much closer to finding what is causing the 27 / 30 second hang.

Regards,

Mark
Old 05-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Solve the 30 second pause issue.

Hi,

There is one fix for the 30 second client pause issue and I don't know if it will be the last fix or if the non-blocking sockets will be fixed but here is the fix for now.

edit your sage.properties file, with sagetv shut down of course,
change the following.

use_blocking_socket_for_mediaserver=true

Regards,

Mark
Old 05-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Sage

I found a bug repot on Sun's website that looks like it might match up to this bug. It's fixed for Java 1.4.2_05 which is not available yet. So I'm going to wait for that before I go back to try and fix it again since the problem might be in Java.

The property:
use_blocking_socket_for_mediaserver=false

will solve the problem for now in a way that should have no ill side effects.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the update, I am looking forward to testing the new java release.

Regards,

Mark
Old 05-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just to add another data point (I'll go ahead and report it), I'm running on a wired network. I've got the Client running on a Shuttle SS51G xpc with its integrated 100mbit nic, connected through a Netgear FS108 gigabit switch to the server, a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus! with a Netgear GA302T gigabit nic.

With the gigabit nic on the server, I never ran into the cilent pause problem through RC2 and about a day on RC3. I removed the gigabit nic to see if it was related to my PVR350 lockups and switched over to the Soyo card's integrated nic (VIA chipset) and started getting the 30-second pauses on the client. I'm going to switch back to the gigabit nic tonight and see if the pause problem goes away.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Sage Expert

I've been getting brief freezes when fast forwarding or rewinding, but it only lasts a few seconds and only happens when I FF/RW. This is with use_blocking_socket_for_mediaserver=true.