SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question Moving Recording

Hi,

I'm planning to replace my assortment of differently sized drives with one or two 1TB ones. I just want to make sure that everything is going to work as planned and that the FAQ is still valid for v7.

I don't have enough room for additional drives. So I need to copy the recordings via USB, remove the old drives and then put in the new drives.

This is what I am planning to do

1. Stop SageTV & service and set 'advanced_video_file_recovery=true'
2. Copy all recordings to the new drive
3. Remove the old drives and put in the new one
4. Change the driveletter of the new drive to match one of the old ones
4. Start Sage, wait for the recovery
5. Stop Sage and set 'advanced_video_file_recovery=false'
6. Start Sage and remove the 'leftover' recording directories from Sage's settings

Does this sound ok or is there anything else I need to consider?

thx
Main System: Athlon X2 +3800, Asus A8N-E, 4GB RAM, 1x 200GB SATA, 3x 400GB SATA, 1x 500GB SATA, Geforce 7600GT, 1x Hauppauge PVR500, 1x Hauppauge PVR150, SageTV 6.2.4, XMLTV+Clickfinder to XMLTV, Windows XP Pro
Bedroom: Hauppauge MVP
Old 06-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thats the steps I typically use. Be prepared for it to take a while depending on how much you have stored. I have started the copy process and a day or two later it is still copying before.. I generally go through and do an aggressive cleanup/clean-out of the video directory especially when I use an USB drive as a temporary storage drive.

Will the USB drive be the final destination? I have a external SATA <=> USB storage case I got from Amazon or Newegg that lets me use system drives externally and then after I am finishing copying I replace the drive in the case with the drive that was in the USB case.

The best thing I can tell you is make the copy process as few steps as possibly to limit data loss.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetreL View Post
Good luck!
Thanks

I am going to use a Sharkoon Quickport as a temporary USB drive but after everythings has been copied over the drive will be put inside the case.

I'll probably image the system drive using Acronis and use robocopy to copy over the recordings. With robocopy I can do incremental copies so the actual downtime will hopefully be limit to an hour or two.
Main System: Athlon X2 +3800, Asus A8N-E, 4GB RAM, 1x 200GB SATA, 3x 400GB SATA, 1x 500GB SATA, Geforce 7600GT, 1x Hauppauge PVR500, 1x Hauppauge PVR150, SageTV 6.2.4, XMLTV+Clickfinder to XMLTV, Windows XP Pro
Bedroom: Hauppauge MVP

Last edited by waltraud; 06-30-2010 at 06:03 AM.