SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
Well... I upgraded the windows drivers from 1.0.5.3 to 1.5.7.0. .... All 3 leds light up after the upgrade.
WHEN do all three leds light up? At one point, I saw all three working, but now, just blue and red from the looks of it. Whether a recording is being made doesn't seem to change the LED status.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I have the HD-PVR and a PVR-150 installed.
The PVR-150 does two things: supplies SD recording that Placeshifter will playback, and also is the front end for the Hauppauge IR blaster.
For some reason, the HD-PVR's IR blaster never worked, so I installed the PVR-150 and it's irremote.ini file, and all was good.

With this update, does the HD-PVR's IR Blaster now work properly, and, will the exe blow away my current irremote.ini in the Windows dir (XP).

thanks

Ok - status update: the HD-PVR's IR blaster is now in control, not the PVR. That's a first! It lags a little, but it never worked with the previous software/firmware
The Happaugue IR is limited to only one working IR in a system. And it is usually a crap shoot as far as which one will work. As you have found out. So at this point only your HD-PVR IR will work and the PVR-150 won't work again. Unless you remove or reinstall a device or software which may or may not cause that to change.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
The Happaugue IR is limited to only one working IR in a system. And it is usually a crap shoot as far as which one will work. As you have found out. So at this point only your HD-PVR IR will work and the PVR-150 won't work again. Unless you remove or reinstall a device or software which may or may not cause that to change.

Gerry
With the last firmware, the HD-PVR's IR would not except any command. At least now, the included remote is controlling the HD-PVR. So that only took one year for them to fix.
If the HD-PVR IR works, I won't need the PVR-150's IR cable.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

This new version does not work on my first gen HD PVR. I get lockups, audio dropout, and no usable video/audio.

If I remember correctly my first HD PVR was from the very first or second shipment. I don't think it's even under warranty anymore.

I had to revert back to trusty old 1.0.5.301.
Sage Server: Gigabyte P35-DS3L, Core2Duo E6300 v1, 4GB, XP Pro SP2, Radeon X1550, Sage 6.6.2, 2 HD-PVR, 2 HDHR 4xOTA, Hauppauge HVR-1600 1xOTA and 2xDish ViP211 Receiver, USB-UIRT, 3x640GB WD6400AAKS, headless
Sage Client: 1xSage HD200 HD Extender
Sage Client: 2xSage STX-HD100 HD Extender
Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash69 View Post
This new version does not work on my first gen HD PVR. I get lockups, audio dropout, and no usable video/audio.

If I remember correctly my first HD PVR was from the very first or second shipment. I don't think it's even under warranty anymore.

I had to revert back to trusty old 1.0.5.301.
The last time I talked to them on the phone, they said the HD-PVR's had a two-year warranty. If that's true, you may be in luck. They are pretty open at Hauppuage if you call them and do a little begging
Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post

Gerry
well that didn't last long - for no apparent reason, the HD-PVR's IR blaster is becoming almost inoperable. Why, I have no idea. How can hardware and software "change" over the course of a day.
If I wanted this, I would have bought Apple.
Anyone else trying the new firmware with the Hauppauge blaster?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
well that didn't last long - for no apparent reason, the HD-PVR's IR blaster is becoming almost inoperable. Why, I have no idea. How can hardware and software "change" over the course of a day.
If I wanted this, I would have bought Apple.
Anyone else trying the new firmware with the Hauppauge blaster?
I was using the IR blaster on the HDPVR with no other Hauppauge devices in my system and it was flaky from day 1. There was an internal memo that got out (or was it a press release?) from Hauppauge that stated there was a stability issue with the IR chipset used in the HDPVR.

I recently had my HDPVR RMA'd for stops during recordings and bought a USB-UIRT to take over blasting duty. I have had pretty good results since. It might be worth the $50 to get away from the Hauppauge IR blaster all together; it was for me
Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
It might be worth the $50 to get away from the Hauppauge IR blaster all together; it was for me
Or use firewire if your cable box supports it as it is likely cheaper, faster and more reliable. The only downside is that it is a touch more complicated to set up and you can't be running a 64 bit OS, at least on Windows.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Or use firewire if your cable box supports it as it is likely cheaper, faster and more reliable. The only downside is that it is a touch more complicated to set up and you can't be running a 64 bit OS, at least on Windows.
how would that change the way that the Hauppauge remote communicates with the SageTV software? That's where I'm having problems - controlling Sage. Once I can get control of Sage, changing channels is no problem
Old 08-19-2010, 07:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
how would that change the way that the Hauppauge remote communicates with the SageTV software? That's where I'm having problems - controlling Sage. Once I can get control of Sage, changing channels is no problem
Sorry - I was only considering the Hauppauge as an IR transmitter, not a receiver. Some folks have found that the Hauppauge IR on the HD-PVR is just totally buggy and shyould be disabled. I would recommend finding any other IR receiver to use with Sage - I have even bought cheapo remote controls for PCs on eBay that only cost about $10. The important thing is to get the IR receiver - once you have that you are better off using something like a Harmony remote to control your whole system.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Sorry - I was only considering the Hauppauge as an IR transmitter, not a receiver. Some folks have found that the Hauppauge IR on the HD-PVR is just totally buggy and shyould be disabled. I would recommend finding any other IR receiver to use with Sage - I have even bought cheapo remote controls for PCs on eBay that only cost about $10. The important thing is to get the IR receiver - once you have that you are better off using something like a Harmony remote to control your whole system.
haha - yeah, i hear ya. It's sad that sooo many products are released for sale without being bug tested. Sure, Hauppauge will say: "we don't guarantee our products will work with 3rd party apps", but they know a HUGE part of their user-base uses nothing BUT 3rd party apps.
They need to FIX their products, or get out of the business.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Update on this update: while instances of the HD-PVR shutting itself down for no reason have decreased, stuttering and tiny bits of missed recordings (couple of seconds here - couple of seconds there) have increased. Actually, that's something new: a recording will just omit a few seconds in random spots. The unit also shuts itself down, resulting in the dreaded "there's something wrong with your decoder" message from Sage.

Likely NOT what Hauppauge had in mind (I hope).

Oh, one other thing - since the upgrade, the DVD drive in my HTPC wants to keep opening, all by itself with no input from me.
WTF?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 08-19-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Update on this update: while instances of the HD-PVR shutting itself down for no reason have decreased, stuttering and tiny bits of missed recordings (couple of seconds here - couple of seconds there) have increased. Actually, that's something new: a recording will just omit a few seconds in random spots. The unit also shuts itself down, resulting in the dreaded "there's something wrong with your decoder" message from Sage.

Likely NOT what Hauppauge had in mind (I hope).

Oh, one other thing - since the upgrade, the DVD drive in my HTPC wants to keep opening, all by itself with no input from me.
WTF?
Can't help you with the DVD drive wanting to stay open, that's bizarre, but I RMA'd my HDPVR because of dropouts just like you are describing. Mine was to the point where I couldn't ever get a solid 1 hour recording without 2-3 dropouts. Knocking on wood, the new one hasn't had that problem.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Good Greif... dudes, I just ordered two of these from Newegg.... I hope they work.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenut View Post
Good Greif... dudes, I just ordered two of these from Newegg.... I hope they work.
They work great in Linux without using the built in IR. I have a different solution.

B
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenut View Post
After one RMA, getting away from using the HDPVR's IR blaster, AND a strip of gaffers tape over the IR receiver on the HDPVR mine has been pretty reliable. I've only missed 2 recordings I can blame on it in 2 (or has it been 3?) weeks. After putting up with the crap it gave me before I can live with this
Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I'll be using the UIRT for switching.... but the tape over the HDPVR's IR receiver is probably a great idea as well. I'd be screwed if not for this forum and the daily reading I cull from it.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Sage Icon

I also could never get the HD-PVR IR to work, and I use a USB-UIRT. The HD-PVR IR seems to be very flaky or simply never works for most people. I've done all of the recommended things for the HD-PVR except for the fan mod and automatic power cycling upon errors. Removing the top cover and the separate USB card do seem to improve the reliability. Every 2 - 3 weeks, I still have problems where the HD-PVR has to be power cycled. I think the HD-PVR problem boils down to a marginal design. There's many viable alternatives to the HD-PVR for cable and satellite HD content.

Dave
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
There's many viable alternatives to the HD-PVR for cable and satellite HD content.
I must be oblivious -- what are they?
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
I must be oblivious -- what are they?
yes - please, what are they? LOL

as far as the IR business, mine never worked, period, on the HD-PVR until the .07 update, and then, magically, it did.
But for some reason, it has caused my DVD drive to keep wanting to open.
Wild