SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
autoboy,
Thanks for the reply. So I wouldn't have to convert the audio in my BD ripping process. Do I have to only rip the main movie like before, or can I rip the BD in the complete BD structure and the HD300 play only the main movie?

Thanks,
Chuck
The only differences HD300 vs HD200 for BD are the ability to decode (to stereo) DTS audio, and the ability to output/bitstream HBR audio. The playback logic/functionality is identical. Both support playing the BDMV playlists (defaulting to the longest one), neither support menus.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
The BD file structure uses playlists to determine what should be played. If you rip the entire movie including special features and menus, you will be able to select from the playlists that are available which would allow you to play special features, but you really wouldn't know which one you are picking since they are named by number and not a descriptive name.

This feature was added primarily because the HD-X00 by defualt always pick the longest playlist, assuming it is the main movie. In some cases, it isn't the main movie and main contain something like the director's commentary. By allowing people to select from the playlists, we are able to pick the main movie. The same could be used to play the special features.
autoboy,
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Since a couple of betas ago you can hit options and select chapters from a native blu ray rip. So you can access extra features granted Bdlive features are still a no go.
PLUCKYHD,
I didn't know that. So with the HD200, with the latest beta firmware, I can rip my BD in the full native BD structure and be able to select the different chapters via the options button on the remote. I didn't know that. I will most likely get one or two of the HD300's just to future proof and save me one step in converting the audio, but just wanted to understand what it can and can't do, at least right now!!

Thanks to the both of you,
Chuck
Recording Drive's: 2 x WD WD4001FAEX (4 TB)
Tuner's: 2 x Ceton InfiniTV 4's
Clients: 3 x Nvidia Shield TV's; Spares: 2 x HD300's
SageTV v9.1.2.662 with OpenDCT v0.5.28
Java 1.8.0_111-b14 (32bit)
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The only differences HD300 vs HD200 for BD are the ability to decode (to stereo) DTS audio, and the ability to output/bitstream HBR audio. The playback logic/functionality is identical. Both support playing the BDMV playlists (defaulting to the longest one), neither support menus.
stanger89,
Thanks for the clarification.
Chuck
Old 08-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
But might this be setting up a situation where CableCard content is playable on one extender (300), but not on others (200 et al)?
Sure, but why would this be a problem? If you think about it, its not much different than many other new upgrades or features that have been added over the years. I can imagine the possibility that Sage might implement Cablecard or NetFlix support in the future and say that if you want that feature, you need an HD300 (or an HD400 or whatever). Right now they say if you want to record HD, you need an HD capture card. If you want an extender with HDMI 1.3a, you need the HD300, etc.

It's also no different than what Apple has done with their iPhones. Every year they release a new phone and an update OS. They let you install the new OS on most of the old devices, which gives you some of the new features, but some stuff requires the newest hardware (like multi-tasking, voice command, etc.).

If Sage (or Apple) made the decision that any new feature had to also work on all old hardware so that things would stay "common", we would never get a lot of great new features.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Since a couple of betas ago you can hit options and select chapters from a native blu ray rip. So you can access extra features granted Bdlive features are still a no go.
PLUCKYHD,
I just tried what you said but I don't see where I can select the chapters. I have the latest beta firmware on the HD200 as well as a full blu ray rip (ie. with the BDMV folder structure with all streams and playlists available). I hit play and it selects the main movie, as expected, but when I hit the options button, I don't see an option to select the chapters. Please let me know what I am missing.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does anybody know if CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is being supported by the HD300 HDMI?
Tuners: (4) HDHomeRun Dual (8-clear QAM), (1) Hauppauge 1600 (analog), (4) r5000 Dishnetwork VIP 211
Sources: Wichita Kansas OTA, Cox Digital clear QAM, Cox Analog, Dishnetwork
Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJohnson View Post
Does anybody know if CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is being supported by the HD300 HDMI?
Not currently, apparently (IIRC).

Cheers

Ben
Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
PLUCKYHD,
I just tried what you said but I don't see where I can select the chapters. I have the latest beta firmware on the HD200 as well as a full blu ray rip (ie. with the BDMV folder structure with all streams and playlists available). I hit play and it selects the main movie, as expected, but when I hit the options button, I don't see an option to select the chapters. Please let me know what I am missing.

Thanks,
Chuck
Options while playing and to the right you should see a BD title select button (part of V7 btw)
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'll be addressing this "online content" & DRM issue in the GeekTonic review that will post this evening (just too busy today to get it posted). In short, the HD300 has the right innards to allow for the DRM required by Netflix & other major streaming services. And SageTV has PlayReady license that is required also. So I have hope that it will be here eventually. I just wish it were here today... I'd take Netflix over anything else personally. CableCard would be my #2 wish and Mobile Placeshifter would be my #3 wish.

I'm VERY happy with how many of the requests/wishes of us enthusiasts have been addressed by the HD300, SageTV 7 and the various updates. If I look back at my HD200 review you'll see that about every negative in that review has now been addressed. Difficult to find many companies who are this responsive to the wants/requests of the customer.
they hit the target for me too............primarily hdmi1.3 for HD audio and elimination of the airport landing lights

when it gets here, i can finally get rid of my last ziova player in the basement, move the hd200 down there, and put the hd300 in the home theater system that supports HD audio

if netflix is in the future, it's just more good stuff
Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

brent (or someone else with a unit),

can you tell us if the hd300 supports full BD menus, or just the simple version we have today (which picks largest mt2s file)?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
brent (or someone else with a unit),

can you tell us if the hd300 supports full BD menus, or just the simple version we have today (which picks largest mt2s file)?
The chapter selection we have today this was discussed elsewhere. Having full BD menu;s would cost quite a bit of money on each unit and not worth it in most opinions. I rip the movie to watch the movie not the menu
Old 08-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I rip the movie to watch the movie not the menu
I know this is always the most favored, witty comeback, but for TV season BRs having real menus makes picking the right episodes to watch in the right order much less hassle.

Obviously having full BR menus is beyond what most people want... but then that was the same argument people used against HD audio format support too.

-Suntan
Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

i forgot to check about ordering the IR receiver...but wanted to know if the hauppauge IR receiver that came with many products like pcr 150/1600 and hdpvr would be compatible so that i don't have to buy another??
Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Sage User

I don't have fancy audio gear so their isn't much that makes me want to buy this as an upgrade from an HD200. However, my wife want's a small TV mounted in the kitchen when she chained their cooking meals . The small form factor of this device is amazing and I think will do the trick nicely.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM
SageTVaholic

They are not compatible with Hauppage IR receivers.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 PM
SageTVaholic

It's late and I'm about out of energy, but I did post the complete GeekTonic Review of the HD300 along with a little wrap-up of SageTV news for good measure.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah blu ray menu support does cost look at the dune to see how much. besides to ke that ruins the purpose of ripping mymovies. You can still select the special features with chapter select if you want.
hmmm............missed that one..............can you describe how the chapter selection works?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Options while playing and to the right you should see a BD title select button (part of V7 btw)
PLUCKYHD,
So if I understand you correctly, I would have to upgrade my server from v6.6 to v7 for my HD200 or HD300 to have this. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Sage Expert

I currently connect my HD100 to my TV via HDMI and into my (non-HDMI) AVR via optical - if I have DTS only file I need to use my AVR to hear anything.

So, the HD300 can now decode DTS and output this via stereo over HDMI to my TV and also will send the non-decoded DTS ie 5.1 to my AVR also? So I can either listen via the TV in stereo or via my AVR in 5.1?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ugh

Come on now, are you guys serious with this? I mean come on, announcing this one day before the fruit company has one of its "events". It's almost like you do it on purpose to get the least amount of press coverage possible!!

Seriously though, I am very impressed with the specs for this device but even more so with the way Sage listened to users and responded with requested features (Never thought w'd see an IR extender, for example).

Great product, guys!

Nick