SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Sage User

invalid folder

I just got a hd300, and the out of box experience has been one of the worst I have seen. All I want to do is access an SMB share. I have a samba server on linux, and I can mount these shares on other clients (a mac). On the hd300, I can see the server via "browse", but when I try to select the samba server, I always get "invalid folder". If I enter the share manually (\\my-host-name\my-share), I get another error. I am using beta firmware, and I never get an option to specify a user/passwd. I have checked the logs on the samba server, and the hd300 always tried to use user "nobody", which is not going to work. I will also not use "share" security, as that is crazy.

So, does anyone know what my options are?

Should I get an option to specify user/passwd?

Are there any other alternatives like nfs? If so, what's the preferred network name format to access (nfs://server/share?)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you try enabling the guest account on your samba share? I'm pretty sure that worked for other samba/NAS shares.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Sage User

The share I have has "guest ok = yes" and "public = yes", although I would prefer to not have to do this. Even with these, it still does not work. I thought I read from a search on these forums that the beta firmware was to prompt you for a username and password if it could not connect. Where is the documentation on this? Somebody please tell me there is more documentation than the manual that comes with this product.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Sage User

I reverted to the previous firmware, and I now get prompted to enter username and password. I then had to change the username and password to all UPPERCASE since their's no way to get lowercase via the remote. I can now see the share, but a quick attempt at playing Sin City DVD ISO was a bad one. Terrible macro-blocking and audio going in/out. A re-enocded Animatrix appeared to work. The share is on a Linux samba server with 100Mbit Ethernet between the two. I don't think the Samba server could be underperforming, but I am going to check.

BTW, also tried the the extended mode with SageTV server on my mac, and I could get to movies on that system, but King Kong HD DVD also had audio drop-out problems, and the HD300 would lock up after 5-10 minutes. It did seem to play some blu-rays like Blade Runner and Kung Fu Panda fine.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Pressing the pause button should cycle thru upper/lower case.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.