SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Sage User

ShawTV & SageTV Media ext. in Calgary

Hello there
I have been using 2 HD200 and 1 HD300 in my house for streaming video via a media center PC with SageTV.
The family does like it and I'd like to go to the next step and watch TV shows via SageTV on all the extenders.
We have a Shaw account witch includes TV/Internet/Tel. The shadowbox is an DCT6416III (Motorola)
Big question now:
If I would buy a "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner" and plug it into the media server PC would I be able to watch and record my Shaw-subscribed TV on my 3 media extenders?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

My basic understanding is that the answer is both yes and no. Yes you could watch your Shaw analog TV channels using the HVR-2250, and you could also get over the air HD content using a traditional antenna hooked up to the Hauppauge unit (for local broadcast stations sending HD signals such as CBC), but you wouldn't be able to watch any HD cable-only channels (such as TSN, etc.).

To watch those HD cable-only channels you would have to purchase a Hauppaugge HD-PVR. You'd also have to hook-up the IR blaster from the HD-PVR to change the channels on your Motorola DCT6416 or use a USB-UIRT or Firewire channel changing (which is what I use).

Cable Hardware: Motorola DCT6200 HD cable box controlled by Firewire for channel tuning

Software: SageTV 7.1.9 on Windows 7

2X HD300 Media Extenders
Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

You could also record via FireWire. I'm doing that with Shaw in Calgary and it works great.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Doesn't encryption stop you for most channels?

Cable Hardware: Motorola DCT6200 HD cable box controlled by Firewire for channel tuning

2X HD300 Media Extenders
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not in Calgary. There are a few HD (AMC) that are blocked but almost everything is wide open.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Sage User

So what do I neet? Firewire? or the Hauppauge?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Sage User

I've been using Hauppauge HD-PVR for about 2 years with a firewire to change the channels on the DCT Shaw box. Works well.

Looked at firewire but thought it won't do live TV that well so just stuck with HD-PVR.

Great quality, works like a charm.

In Calgary too.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Sage User

How to set this up (firewire) on sagetv. After all I don't have a capture card.
Installed the win7 32bit version legacy driver for STB Firewire (IEEE-1394).
I just don't know how to go fron there?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansat View Post
How to set this up (firewire) on sagetv. After all I don't have a capture card.
Installed the win7 32bit version legacy driver for STB Firewire (IEEE-1394).
I just don't know how to go fron there?

Thanks
Try this thread, haven't used FireWire recording for some time but there's lots of good info in the first post.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9288

J
Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
Try this thread, haven't used FireWire recording for some time but there's lots of good info in the first post.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9288

J
That's the guide I used and it works perfectly. Not sure why people are saying it doesn't work with live TV. I have it working with live tv (the shaw boxes are my only tuners) and I have no issues.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Sage User

Ya I think you'd be nuts to not a least try the firewire first. I mean you already have the tuners (Moto boxes) so there is zero investment to try it out. Plus if you like the firewire then it really is the best way to go... completely digital, and no overlays... and again, it only costs the price of a firewire cable. I used firewire with VMC for five years in Vancouver very happily. I dont use it anymore as I switched to sat
Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage User

Thank to all the reply. Got it working.
Just the video keeps stopping ever min. or so the interruption last only 1-2 sec.
I thing that has something to do with Graphedit & the way the dump.ts is created.
Thanks again
Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have firewire channel changing working just fine, but I can't seem to get a video stream showing up in VLC Media player when I point it to my Moto cable box. I just get a blank screen.

I'm in Vancouver and the stream is not supposed to be encrypted...any suggestions on how I troubleshoot this problem?

2X HD300 Media Extenders