SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

I installed SageTV v2 last week on my new Sage Server. Clean install XP Pro with all critical updates. Server running rock solid with 4 internal PVR250s and a 5th in HTPC Client network mode. Already recorded over 160Gb shows flawlessly. Tested recording 5 concurrently and watching a previously recorded on Client no problem. Tested recording 4 concurrently and watching live timeshift on Client no problem.

I do not use the Server for watching though have on monitor just testing. I wanted a stable dedicated high capacity high uptime PVR Server and that's what I seem to have. (redundant dual hotswap power supplies, hardware hotswap RAID5 main storage, hardware hotswap RAID1 OS/overflow storage, 1500VA UPS with external addon battery capacity for real 2+ hours battery backup under load)

Playback tweaks etc. I leave to do 100% on Client HTPC. Let it crash if I screw up, no biggy. Server happy as a clam doing it's thing.

If your Sage installation isn't staying up I'd say it's not a problem with SageTV per se' but your hardware/software configuration.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same behaviour. Sagetv shuts down within a couple of hours without error log. Sometimes when its idle, othertimes in the middle of recording a show. I followed the advice of one of you to install JRE 1.4.2_04 over 1.4.2_03 but that didn't give any better results.

Yesterday, I disabled the screensaver function (screensaver on sleep disabled; screensaver timeout 0 seconds) to see if that would help. And sofar it has not shutdown autonomously since (instance uptime 16+ hours).
It may be to early to conclude that this solves the problem entirely, but it looks like disabling the screensaver has a positive effect.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:00 PM

I disabled the screen saver as well but it didn't help me. I didn't set the timeout to 0 though. I assumed disabling it would be enough. If that's not the case then that setting is missleading...

I did find that manually placing Sage TV into Sleep mode seemed to help keep things running longer. I actually got it to stay running long enough to record two shows! But... I woke up this morning and it had crashed sometime last night.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Sage User

I have tried everything and Sage still shuts down at night with no error message. I am using a fresh install of Windows XP, Hauppauge drivers, Java, and Sage 2.0 . I hope Frey has a fix very soon before my trial period runs out (6 days left).
Old 05-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Sage User

For some odd reson my copy now has not shut down for days. The only changes I made were to apply the "mmc/encoders/-xxxxxxxxxxxxx/never_stop_encoding=true" configuration change Frey suggested, purchase and register the trial copy (I did not reinstall SageTV, just registered it) and purchase and use the Sage Client on another network PC. I am wondering if these shut downs are somehow accidentally caused by the copy not being registered?

Now the only problem I see is an occasional freeze (a DirectShow Playback error appears) when jumping around the playback or changing channels too fast.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by valerio
Now the only problem I see is an occasional freeze (a DirectShow Playback error appears) when jumping around the playback or changing channels too fast.
That sounds like a decoder issue, some decoders are not very forgiving in that regard. Try selecting a different audio decoder.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Sage User

Valerio, is everything still up and running? My time is running out and I'm curious if the bug is only affecting unregistered versions.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Sage User

So far so good. I have not had any shutdowns for the past week or so.

Only occasionally I get a DirectX playback error when changing channels or shifting back and forth too fast, that is solved quickly by restarting SageTV. However all the shows I set to record have been recorded OK with no shutdowns.

Since I have not changed or updated anything on that PC, I must assume that the trial wrapper was causing the problem. Can't be sure though.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by valerio
So far so good. I have not had any shutdowns for the past week or so.

Only occasionally I get a DirectX playback error when changing channels or shifting back and forth too fast, that is solved quickly by restarting SageTV. However all the shows I set to record have been recorded OK with no shutdowns.

Since I have not changed or updated anything on that PC, I must assume that the trial wrapper was causing the problem. Can't be sure though.
If you are getting DirectX errors disable 3D Acceleration and it should not happen.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

I previously experienced autonomous shutdowns and can confirm that the're gone since I bought and registered sagetv.

Happy user for a week or so now.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

I'm having the same issue as well. I purchased one of the multituner bundles and cannot keep the darn thing running. Even if it does stay running for a few minutes, it crashes when I access it via the client that I also bought. Really frustrating as I've tried all the suggestions listed in this thread and none have worked.

I'm seeing this at the beginning of the error logs being generated.

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) occurred at PC=0x3D411FD
Function=Java_sage_MMC_startEncoding0+0x258D
Library=C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\Sage.dll

This is a fresh install of XP MCE 2004, with the latest drivers for my 9500 Pro and ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe, the latest patches, etc...

I suppose I could try flattening the HDD and reinstalling everything if no one has any ideas.

I've attached an error log file, if that helps.

Regards,

Beau
Attached Files
File Type: txt hs_err_pid1964.txt (9.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 06-05-2004, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by beautye350
I'm having the same issue as well. I purchased one of the multituner bundles and cannot keep the darn thing running. Even if it does stay running for a few minutes, it crashes when I access it via the client that I also bought. Really frustrating as I've tried all the suggestions listed in this thread and none have worked.

I'm seeing this at the beginning of the error logs being generated.

Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) occurred at PC=0x3D411FD
Function=Java_sage_MMC_startEncoding0+0x258D
Library=C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\Sage.dll

This is a fresh install of XP MCE 2004, with the latest drivers for my 9500 Pro and ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe, the latest patches, etc...

I suppose I could try flattening the HDD and reinstalling everything if no one has any ideas.

I've attached an error log file, if that helps.

Regards,

Beau
I would submit a technical support request. What version of Java are you running? Do you have only one version installed?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
I would submit a technical support request. What version of Java are you running? Do you have only one version installed?
I submitted a request last night. I'm waiting anxiously to see what they have to say.

I went to sun.com/getjava and downloaded their latest prior to sage install.

Regards,

Beau
Old 06-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
Sorry, forgot to answer all your questions.

I assume that there is only one version installed. This is the first time I've actively installed a java RE.

Regards,

Beau
Old 06-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Administrator

The java version is at the bottomof the error log & it is the latest one available.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am having the same issue. I am an IT Admin with advanced desktop skills, but this is kicking my @ss. My blackbird cards work fine individually, but not together. I get the same message:

Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) occurred at... blah blah blah..

Tried everything mentioned here and more including unreg of Ligos (PowerDVD non-ATI default). Still no go, app works fine with one, quits when I try to access both blackbirds. Does my ATI video card require an ATI specific decoder?

No response from tech support in a week.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by doncote0
Does my ATI video card require an ATI specific decoder?
No, as far as I know. I'm currently using Sonic CP decoder with ATI 9600 HD dongle component output. However, my Client different setup, only has one PVR250, my Server has 4PVR250, no Blackbirds anywhere, and I don't use Server for playback. But playback with other than ATI (Cyberlink) decoder not a problem.

Edit: Client VMR9 w/3D enabled no problem.

Last edited by mdmint; 06-13-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Unhappy

Thanks for the confirmation and the quick reply, mdmint. I don't know what haystack the needle is in.

I also get this:

Unable to connect analog video cross streams

ErrCode=0x80040217
Old 06-14-2004, 07:52 PM
SageTVaholic

That sounds like an error from trying to build the record graph. Where you trying to watch LiveTV when you got that?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by doncote0
I am having the same issue. I am an IT Admin with advanced desktop skills, but this is kicking my @ss. My blackbird cards work fine individually, but not together. I get the same message:

Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) occurred at... blah blah blah..

Tried everything mentioned here and more including unreg of Ligos (PowerDVD non-ATI default). Still no go, app works fine with one, quits when I try to access both blackbirds. Does my ATI video card require an ATI specific decoder?

No response from tech support in a week.
<rant>
I'd say welcome to the club, but this isn't a club we want to be in. I am having the same issue and am currently in talks with support about it. So far my issue has been ongoing with them for 11 days. I keep getting emails from them telling me that they haven't forgotten about me and will let me know as soon as they find something, but I am not happy. I was hoping that since Frey was selling the dual tuner package themselves that the damned thing would work.

I am running with one tuner right now, but this isnt what I signed up for. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post about it.
</rant>

I believe we are looking at a driver issue as both of my cards function correctly, but not together.

Here's a little snippet of an email I sent to support. Does this look like your issue as well?

Quote:
I've completed some testing of my own and I'll give the results below.

I tried reinstalling the OS and loading just the basics, but this did not
work either.

I formatted and installed XP Pro for a vanilla install and installed one of
the cards. The system appeared to function properly so, I tried adding in
the second tuner and that's when the problems started. The second tuner
works and rendered the first one non-functional. I removed the first card
as a source and am using the second tuner. If I try to add back in the
first card I get a couple errors when doing a channel setup.

They are sequential and the second one tends to cover the first one so I
have to hit OK twice:

First Error:

There was a capture error in playback. Details:
Unable to connect analog video cross streams
ErrCode=0x80040217

Second error:

There was a Async reader error in the playback
Details:
Failure loading file
ErrCode=0x80004005

If I try to complete the setup and tune a channel, it throws errors and
sometimes quits to the desktop with no warning. I have been trying multiple
environments for this thing to function in since I sent the support request
and nothing seems to be working except when only using one tuner. I even
tried loading the 22124 drivers from the CD that shipped with the tuners on
the first encoder and using the updated ones on the single tuner that works.
Can't quite seem to get this thing to be happy. I would be tempted to
believe it is the drivers for the tuner and their interaction with each once
the second tuner is added.

Regards,

Beau