SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage User

Custom Online Video Links

Has anyone had any success writing up custom online video links for any canadian tv sites?
I was hoping to write up my own links so I could watch episodes posted up by the networks, for instance, global, citytv, ctv etc. Unfortunately it's all bit beyond me and was hoping someone a lot more code savy than I had already written this.... and would share the files.

Anyone?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
SageTVaholic

I have gone in a different direction - I use usvideo.org to "spoof" being in the US. That way I can get Netflix US, Hulu, etc.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Sage User

Hi wayner, I just configed a free trial of usvideo.org but have spent no time investigating the use of Hulu, etc. Would you mind sharing your setup/config so I can get started. Either send a private message or post here. I would really appreciate it!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by norburban View Post
Hi wayner, I just configed a free trial of usvideo.org but have spent no time investigating the use of Hulu, etc. Would you mind sharing your setup/config so I can get started. Either send a private message or post here. I would really appreciate it!
You don't mention your setup and where you want to play Hulu, etc. I have a server that feeds five HD-200 extenders plus a Sage Placeshifter client - all of this config is done on my Sage server.

Set up your PC to use usvideo.org - I would recommend just changing the DNS settings on your PC rather than on your router as this way it only affects that one PC. Once you have done that then go to usvideo.org and click on Check Service - you may have to enter your email. Hopefully it will say that everything looks good.

Then go to Hulu.com and try to watch a video. You should be able to watch it ok. Create an ID with Hulu - you will need a US address but not a credit card.

Then you will need to download PlayOn. PlayOn is a pay service but there is a 14 day free trial. PlayOn runs on your PC as kind of a TV server and shows up as a uPNP service. You can get PlayOn clients for many devices such as Sage, Xbox, Wii, PS3, iPhone, iPad, Android phone, Media Players, etc.

Go into PlayOn, click on the Channels tab and configure it for your Hulu ID and password and you can also set up other sites like some TV networks.

Then download the PlayOn plugin for Sage. Then you go to Online services in Sage and you should see PlayOn, or even an entry for Hulu.

This will allow you to now access Hulu from any Sage client such as extenders, Placeshifters, etc. It is not the prettiest UI that you have ever seen but it gives you access to lots of content.

edit - If you don't already you might want to load the Diamond UI as it gadds PlayOn, Hulu and Netflix to some of the menus. In this instance I am referring to the V2 version of Diamond - not the one that was just released today.

Last edited by wayner; 03-04-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Sage User

Wayner,

I'd like to find out more about how you signed on with Netflix US. I've read to register, first you need something like USVideo.org, but then also to pay for the service, it has to be a "US" method of payment. I've read, adding some bogus US address as a second address to a credit card works (but then I've also read it doesn't always work)

Would you mind giving some more details as to how you got you Netflix US working (here or by private message/email).
Old 03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Sage User

hackzaw
pm'd.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I used the method described on the us video.org web site where you set up a virtual visa card. You can use any address - the company I work for has a US office so I used that address, but it doesn't really matter.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to Kryspy
wayner,

Did they request further documentation? Did they request scans of your credit card and such?

Kryspy
Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to Kryspy
Got it working today using the Entropay option. No Hulu Plus kinda sucks but oh well. Netflix.com works fine and I installed the VUDU service as well. Video quality is excellent on my PS3.

Kryspy
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post
wayner,

Did they request further documentation? Did they request scans of your credit card and such?

Kryspy
No, at least not yet. I set it up a few weeks ago so I don't know if any charges have gone through yet I just entered the online info and I was good to go.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Sage User

I wanted to share my experience with setting some of this stuff up.

I went the Entropay method as well. THAT was the difficult part, and it's 100% legit. I did the New Account thing at Entropay, and sure enough, my application was selected as one that required loads of additional security verification documentation. I had to supply front back of the funding credit card (in colour no less, which they didn't mention initially, so my scanning of documents on my work copier were just a waste of time... ended up taking a photograph instead, and edited the picture to omit things they didn't need), my driver's license, and a utility bill (??????) confirming my name and address.

After resending the information, it didn't take long for Entropay to approve.

Then I changed my settings on my computer to use USVideo's DNS settings for the one week trial period. The on to Netflix. During registration, I just entered all information asked for (which didn't include asking for an address, which I wasn't expecting). Voila!

Haven't had a lot of time to explore things. My first impression though is that a LOT of movie titles are not available for streaming on line, but available by mail order. And for TV shows, the ones I looked up were well behind in season's, so if you're already close to up-to-date on a TV series, I'm not sure Netflix will be statisfying. This weekend, I hope to explore things a little more.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 PM
SageTVaholic

With Netflix you will not find all of the new releases. But you likely will find some interesting movies and TV shows that will more than pay for the cost. I have cancelled my TMN subscription on Rogers now that I have Netflix and I am saving $12 per month.