SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiier__Dude View Post
The fix above worked for me. All of a sudden after a few years of using the PlayOn plugin, it stopped working. If I opened the Task Manager on my WHS server, I'd find several instances of UPnP Browser.exe running -- each taking about 25% of the CPU and a ton of memory. Un-installed the PlayOn plugin, restarted the PlayOn server, Sage server, WHS server.

Finally found the thread above, deleted a few large files that were > 150kb, and the PlayOn plugin is working well again.
Same here - I had used PlayOn for years and all of a sudden it would not work. I tried all of the usual stuff but this is what it took to fix it.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Playlater recordings are showing up as HD but so far when I stream through the playon plug in for sagetv I only get SD.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Sage Expert

I'm seeing all Playon stuff coming through as SD even though I have PlayonHD.

Anyone have a clue why?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
I'm seeing all Playon stuff coming through as SD even though I have PlayonHD.

Anyone have a clue why?
By all Playon stuff , what are you watching with Playon that is coming in as SD as Playon HD works great for me but the makers of playon says it only works with streams that are in HD to begin with which may be why people says it does not work for them.

To test HD you should try playing something you know is HD through Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon and see if they show HD.

Also Make sure to update your copy of Playon by going to the website and downloading playon full version and not the update version and install it and when done installing check the registration tab on playon and see if it says - Playon Premium, Playon Hd

If it says that then click the general tab and make sure the "Enable HD Capability" box is checked.

Also if you use Playlater or have it installed you should also update it as well by downloading the full version from the playlater site as well to make sure that is up to date as well if you use it. Go in to playlater Settings if you use it and click the Registration tab and see if it says - Playlater, Playlater HD - and then click the general tab and make sure the "Enable HD Capability" box is checked there as well.

Then to make sure everything is done above I suggest you reboot the computer that playon is on and see if that fixes the problem. If your still having trouble after that you may have to contact playon support as they are great at actually helping folks since they get bug reports with the support request to try and fix the problems.

Also don't forget that not all the stuff on the net is HD and playon only will play stuff that is HD if the site supports it and if your computer that playon is on can handle the transcoding part of hd and if your internet speed is enough to get HD in the first place.

The channels known to work with Playon HD are at
http://www.playon.tv/press/stream-and-record-hd

And will only work with your computer you have will handle it and if your speed is good enough to get an HD stream. I hope my suggestions help you fix the problem as I have yet to have a problem with the program and my connection is only 5 megs down and the only problem I have had was when I was using Playlater HD to record a Youtube video in HD and it was not fully recorded due to me surfing at the time of the recording or using too much bandwidth that it needed for the recording and find it was not all there when I tried playing it.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Sage Expert

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Yes, I was trying Netflix and Amazon HD content.
Yes, Playon is registered and show Playon HD.
Network and CPU are both set to Max after Playon tested it.
The Enable HD box is checked.

So I will have to go to Playon for help. But my past experience is that as soon as you mention Sage, they tell you it's an unsupported platform.

But certainly thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate your taking the time.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Yes, I was trying Netflix and Amazon HD content.
Yes, Playon is registered and show Playon HD.
Network and CPU are both set to Max after Playon tested it.
The Enable HD box is checked.

So I will have to go to Playon for help. But my past experience is that as soon as you mention Sage, they tell you it's an unsupported platform.

But certainly thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate your taking the time.
If your accessing your sage tv setup from some other place then home you may want to take that in to consideration as well as if your upload speed is not that good and your trying to access it while your away from home you may not get HD if it can't Download the HD stream and transcode it to 720 and then send it back over the network to a remote location if that speed is not enough for it.

At least I would assume that would happen as I know it happens when I have tried doing the same thing with my plex setup and saw it happen when I did the same thing and noticed a huge difference playing the same thing from my computers at home one the same network.

Not sure if that is what your doing but thought I would throw it in as well. Also Did you try rebooting the playon computer or at least try rebooting the playon server if you don't want to reboot the computer and see if that helps.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks, but no, all local network. I have uninstalled Playon completely and reinstalled. Still no HD.

I haven't tried it on another client yet. I'll try and see.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there a way to display cyrillic characters in PlayOn on the HD300? They show up fine on my Panasonic S64 Plasma and Patriot Box Office but in Sage it is a bunch of spaces and odd characters.
Thanks for any help.

Client 1: HD300; Panasonic TC-P65S64;
Client 2: HD300; Samsung 46" LCD;
Client 3: HD300; 60" LCD;
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

FYI, I contacted the PlayOn team about why I'm not getting HD transcoding with SageTV and they responded that they only send Sage MPEG2 streams and their HD stream is H264 so they will send HD to other devices but not Sage.

I've responded with a request that if the above is indeed true they should allow us to force H264 as Sage has no problem decoding that.

Still waiting on an answer.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:18 PM
SageTVaholic

I didn't think Playon even knew that SageTV existed - isn't the Sage plugin built by Evilpenguin and he just creates hooks into the upnp files that Playon serves up?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm not convinced that their support person knows what he's talking about but I guess we'll see
Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Sage Expert

The only time I've gotten ANY HD has been through the Windows 8 Netflix App and I had to force it to buffer at a higher rate. It took quite a while to buffer to 100%, but it did look great after that. Unfortunately, there isn't any way to do that from Sage that I can see.

Amazon doesn't work in HD in Sage either.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

Anyone heard from EvilPenguin? Though he hasn't posted since 2012 (right before the youtube conflict came up), he logged onto the site a month ago.

Sure would be nice to get that line in the plugin fixed for the current STV...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Or it would be nice if someone would take over this project from him since he must have moved away from SageTV.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think he is done with the site. However, what has worked for me, but more of a pain is to do the following:

playon/browse playon/**** (Hulu, for example)

It is more steps to find what you want, but going that route always seems to work for me.

Going to playon/hulu/hulu queu for example, does not work. Don't ask me why, I do not know.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks, but no, all local network. I have uninstalled Playon completely and reinstalled. Still no HD.

I haven't tried it on another client yet. I'll try and see.
Some ISPs through which Netflix sends its streaming are throttling it. I think this includes Comcast but also noticed in on Verizon. It's a competition thing.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Sage Expert

Well, I've since lucked into a great deal on a 60" plasma smart tv. Has Netflix, Amazon, etc. And I do get HD and 5.1 through it. So I think my Playon days are probably over.

In fact, I find myself considering alternatives to Sage these days.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have the Play for Sagetv plugin loaded, also the queue importer plugin loaded. But when i go to Netflix queue in sage, I see no movies that I have in my queue. But I can browse genre and play movies fine.

Any thought where I should start to look?.

Thanks

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 08-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you add your login/password in playon itself?

Playon Settings / channels / netflix.

make sure enabled is checked and try the "test" button.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yes. First thing I checked. I can watch movies from Netflix, but just cannot see anything in my queue.

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200