SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv55 View Post
What I've found so far.

Gigabyte GA-H67-UD3H
Intel HD67CL
Biostar H67MH (bare bones)
ECS H67H2-M3

I don't think I'd go the Biostar, though.
The gigabyte impresses.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Sage Icon

Gigabyte are great system boards. I have two Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5 system boards. The only problem I have with Gigabyte is that they are a bad choice for unRAID because Gigabyte has HPA, Host Protected Area. This causes serious problems with unRAID. I've heard that HPA can be turned off on some newer Gigabyte models.

Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Gigabyte are great system boards. I have two Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5 system boards. The only problem I have with Gigabyte is that they are a bad choice for unRAID because Gigabyte has HPA, Host Protected Area. This causes serious problems with unRAID. I've heard that HPA can be turned off on some newer Gigabyte models.

Dave
I tried to do a bit of reading on this issue. It was a bit technical. Let me see if I understand. If I install a hard drive into a system with HPA I will have issues if I move it to another computer and want to read it there. Is that right? Or is it if I add a drive with info already on it but no HPA on it then I'll have problems reading it. Is that right?

And how do I know if the model I'm interested has this feature or is able to be disabled? The model I'm looking at is GA-H67A-UD3H-B3. I just found out the 'B3' means it isn't affected by the 'sata2 bug'.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I tried to do a bit of reading on this issue. It was a bit technical. Let me see if I understand. If I install a hard drive into a system with HPA I will have issues if I move it to another computer and want to read it there. Is that right? Or is it if I add a drive with info already on it but no HPA on it then I'll have problems reading it. Is that right?

And how do I know if the model I'm interested has this feature or is able to be disabled? The model I'm looking at is GA-H67A-UD3H-B3. I just found out the 'B3' means it isn't affected by the 'sata2 bug'.
I don't think the HPA will cause any trouble with operating systems other than unRAID. UnRAID has a parity drive that must be the equal to or larger than the other drives. If the parity drive has HPA on the parity drive, then the parity drive may not be the largest drive, and that would cause problems with the unRAID server.

So, I think you should be OK as long as you don't try to use the Gigabyte system board for an unRAID system some time in the future, unless HPA can be disabled. I have Gigabyte system boards using XP and Windows 7, and they work fine for those operating systems.

Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Sage User

I should have looked up unRAID. I just thought it was the posters fancy way of saying 'not raided' because I hadn't come across the term before.

No problems then.

I would have liked one of the low power CPUs but it looks like they aren't available in Australia yet and I couldn't find any reference to when they are planning to release here. Does anyone have any clue?

Last edited by rv55; 03-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Sage User

Now that the 2100T are becoming available in Australia it's time for a revisit.

I'm thinking of buying the following.
Intel i3 2100T
Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3
4g of ram. Not sure which make. Maybe,
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 4GB
Might need some help with the power supply. I guess I'm not looking for a powerful psu, maybe 450w? I'd like the ones with the big fans on the side. I see references to "80 plus" ratings. What do I need to know about those? Will all psus have the power connectors necessary for the MB? I remember the Intel P4s needed a 4 pin CPU connector. Are there differences in AMD and Intel psus anymore? What connectors do I need to look for besides the 4 pin and sata connectors i need for my current devices?

Comments and suggestions please.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Sage User

I just had a look through every H67 ATX bord in the Asrock, Asus and gigabyte range and none of them have usb3 headers. Doesn't anyone make those yet?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Sage Icon

For the unRAID server, avoid Gigabyte boards. Gigabyte system boards may have HPA, which is not compatible with unRAID and can cause serious problems.

Make sure that you system board is new enough to boot from a usb jump drive. The entire Linux OS and unRAID system is contained on the usb jump drive.

Start with the Supermicro MBD-X8SIL-F-O:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182211

For more drives add

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS SAS RAID Controllers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816101358

Each controllers can control 8 SATA drives. Each controller needs two break out cables:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816116097

You can add up to 3 Supermicro controllers with the Supermicro system board. The Supermicro system board also can be controlled with KVM over IP which is included with the board. Video is built-in, so it won't require the additional cost of a video card for the local monitor.

UnRAID requires the parity drive to the equal to or larger than the other drives.

Be careful using advanced format drives. UnRAID version 4.7 resolves the advanced format drive problems. Learn about the preclear_disk.sh script in the unRAID forums. Check out the unRAID web site

http://www.lime-technology.com/

UnRAID does require a separate computer, but is great for mass storage. You can store your video library on the unRAID server. Don't use the unRAID server for video recordings. Record on the SageTV computer and move the files to the unRAID server after the recordings are completed. There are automated ways you can move the files or you can move them manually.

Norco cases are fairly expensive, but they are a nice way to have the capacity to add a lot of drives. I am thinking of replacing my full tower unRAID case with a Norco case.

Before you buy, try the free three drive unRAID version. Setup unRAID on an extra computer if you have one that can boot to a usb jump drive. Test unRAID with 3 old hard drives.

If you like it, you can buy the 6 or 20 drive version. I bought the 20 drive version pre-installed on a usb jump drive, with a spare pre-installed jump drive.

The people on the unRAID forum are very helpful if you have any problems.

Dave
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Sage User

davephan, thank you for your response but....

1. I'm not interested in unRaid.
2. I need a board with 2 PCI slots.
3. I don't need extra storage.

So, sorry, but I didn't see anything relevant in your post.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
davephan, thank you for your response but....

1. I'm not interested in unRaid.
2. I need a board with 2 PCI slots.
3. I don't need extra storage.

So, sorry, but I didn't see anything relevant in your post.
My mistake. I thought you might be interested in unRAID. Maybe you could clarify what you want to do.

Dave
Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 AM
Sage User

I was looking for help on hardware.

Adding to my shopping list above, I might get this ram instead as it looks like good value for money for a 7-7-7-21 ram.
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH (2x2GB) DDR3

The power supply is taking time. This is what I've learned so far.
For my needs, around 450w should do.
80 plus certification is good.
Active PFC is good. (not sure how important this is)
Multi 12+v rails is good. (not sure how important this is)
A BIG fan and preferably the word 'quiet' in the description.
I need a 24pin and 8pin connectors for the motherboard I've selected.
Even though I'm not using a discrete video card, if I want to use one in the future a 6+2 pcie connector is good.
Name brand such as Seasonic, Corsair, Antec or Silverstone.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=13454
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16290
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16471
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=15319

These are the cheapest ones I found at pcgear where I think I'll do my shopping. Anyone have any comments about these models? I'm like the last one at the moment.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Actually, multiple 12v rails is bad.

Multiple 12v rails means available capacity is split over different rails. Great for highend gaming when each card needs its own power source. Bad for a server where there is less video load and the bulk of power is going to cards, HHDs, cpu, etc.. (non video card)

a 500w video card with 3 12v rails, if you arent using dual SLI high end video cards, might only leave you 350w for your system, with 150w sitting idle on the unused rails (they are for video cards, and video cards only, unless you get very creative with wiring new connectors).

Check out; This Corsair 550w (after rebate its $75)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139004

The reviews are nearly flawless.
It has a 4+4pin for motherboard (4 or 8 pin)
It has 2 pcie connectors.
1 big quiet fan
6 sata connectors
80 plus cert.
5 year warranty.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders

Last edited by jptheripper; 04-17-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
Actually, multiple 12v rails is bad.
Thanks but looks like all the models I'm looking at are single rails anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
Check out; This Corsair 550w (after rebate its $75)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139004
That's an American site, right? I'm in Australia.

The 4th one I said I liked above isn't in stock. My next favorite is the
Antec Neo Eco 520CThe more I read about it the more I like it.

There's a really detailed test and review of it here. Seems to be all good.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=317192