SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
OTOH, If I could create an import that alters the "Exit" menu item to only exit the mini-client without turning off the display and Power LED than I think I see what you're saying.
To create such an import would require new infastructure from SageTV, since supporting it would require modifying the extender's firmware to do as we're saying. But in general, yes, it is almost certainly doable.

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Sage Icon

I'm giving up on integrated Sage/Netflix and buying seperate boxes. I'm used to the UI on the xbox but am not going to renew my live sub when it expires. I've read that not all the UI's are equal particularly on BD players. I'm looking at the Oppo bdp-93 for both BD and NF as well as a Roku for just NF.

Any comments on the Netflix UI on these or other devices?

S
Old 05-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Sage Icon

My parents jaw a roku and use it for Netflix and hulu plus. Its pretty frigging awesome in my opinion. I have also kinda given up and with the roku being 49.99 I may just get one.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 PM
SageTVaholic

What I would really like to see is a Roku type box that can be controlled remotely - then we could put together an interface (like EP's playon adapter) and plug an HD-PVR into the roku box to get the video into Sage.

I can't seem to find any information on any netflix enabled boxes that allow that level of remote control. Most will let you do what you can normally on a remote from the network, but there aren't any browsable media UPNP type capabilities that I can find.....

btl.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
What I would really like to see is a Roku type box that can be controlled remotely - then we could put together an interface (like EP's playon adapter) and plug an HD-PVR into the roku box to get the video into Sage.
As I said in the other thread, I think you can do something like this with the Roku. At least, you seem to be able to with the Netflix instant queue (and maybe not the other apps).
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
I can't seem to find any information on any netflix enabled boxes that allow that level of remote control. Most will let you do what you can normally on a remote from the network, but there aren't any browsable media UPNP type capabilities that I can find.....

btl.
My TV and DVD player, each have ethernet and each has a Netflix client - and an IR remote. Neither use Silverlight. Of course, any small HTPC with Windows can do Netflix and be controlled via IR, LAN or whatever.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Sage Expert

So thinking about alternatives to the loopback hack more;

Has anyone tried Netflix silverlight on Windows 7 SP1 or Server 2008 R2 over RDP using an RDP client that supports Video Redirection (the windows 7 RDP client does), and if so, does it work?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
So thinking about alternatives to the loopback hack more;

Has anyone tried Netflix silverlight on Windows 7 SP1 or Server 2008 R2 over RDP using an RDP client that supports Video Redirection (the windows 7 RDP client does), and if so, does it work?
Nope... aside form the fact that Netflix explicitly blocks it (puts up a warning about not working in a remote session), the RDPv7 video redirection only works with DirectShow playback. Even more aside from that, the point of doing the loopback hack would be for extender playback, which wouldn't be able to run a v7 RDP client anyway. It's silly to do so for PC client playback, as you can just run the silverlight player directly.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
the point of doing the loopback hack would be for extender playback
The "original" loopback hack used a PC's s-video output, looped back through a capture card to capture the netflix player. This of course limits you to a single netflix player.

Virtualizing the netflix player could be a way to add more players -- but there needs to be a good way of capturing the video output. If it worked in RDP7 (as you pointed out, it doesn't -- and I'm not surprised by this) it could have been a nice way to capture the output.

VirtualBox, however, also uses RDP7 as a way to remotely control a virtual machines local console, and re-compresses any video frame it detects to an RDP7 compatible stream. It would be interesting to see how/if the netflix silverlight player works in VirtualBox over RDP7, if an extender would be compatible with the video stream it creates, and if that works out, how difficult it is to isolate the video stream from an RDP7 session.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Like I said, the netflix player explicitly blocks viewing via a remote session. It will only play if connected to the console session.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Like I said, the netflix player explicitly blocks viewing via a remote session. It will only play if connected to the console session.
Virtualbox's VRDP is a virtual remote session of the guest's local console, so the Netflix player shouldn't be able to detect it. However, the quality of video delivered over the VRDP session may not be acceptable, if it works at all.

Last edited by brainbone; 06-12-2011 at 09:12 AM.