SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
Slightly off topic, but how difficult is it to get HD audio/bitstreaming working on one of these machines?
I'll let you know once I get my new receiver.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a fusion E-350 laptop and it chokes on HD Netflix streams (720p output to the projector), everything else runs fine but it is not the fastest thing around. Silverlight does not have hardware acceleration enabled, this might be fixed in the future.

http://www.anandtech.com/print/4442

I would build something with a mini ATX mobo, Radeon 5550 card (the AMD IGPs can't do full HD audio via HDMI except for the 6310), dual or triple core CPU - client PCs are definitely a big PITA, even is you master all the config settings there is always something not right.

Client 1: HD300; Panasonic TC-P65S64;
Client 2: HD300; Samsung 46" LCD;
Client 3: HD300; 60" LCD;
Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromuman
client PCs are definitely a big PITA, even is you master all the config settings there is always something not right.
After some problems with what turned out to be a bad network driver, I have two SageTV clients working very well (one AMD 785G-based HTPC, one Dell Studio Hybrid HTPC).

SageTV, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube. They all work just fine.

The Studio Hybrid is connected to my bedroom TV, and the AMD 785G machine is in the basement connected to a 5.1 HT setup.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacity View Post
After some problems with what turned out to be a bad network driver, I have two SageTV clients working very well (one AMD 785G-based HTPC, one Dell Studio Hybrid HTPC).

SageTV, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube. They all work just fine.

The Studio Hybrid is connected to my bedroom TV, and the AMD 785G machine is in the basement connected to a 5.1 HT setup.
+1, no issues for my client either.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I can do it in my sleep now so if anyone needs help let me know (once you guys actually buy your hardware that is).
I may be giving you a shout soon as I've just bought some stuff for a custom build HTPC.

Case - Antec ISK-100, Black/Silver, Mini-i
Mobo - E35M1-I DELUXE MITX DDR3 HDMI DVI SATA 6GB/S GLN
HDD - 60GB OCZ Solid 3 SSD, 2.5" SATA 6Gb
Mem - Corsair XMS3 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz
OS - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

From what I can remember (many years ago) codecs were a massive problem for me the last time I used a client pc with Sage.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

The biggest issue I ever had with a client PC was getting HD bitstreaming working, but there were plenty of people to help with that both here and at Missing Remote. It only took a couple of days to get it working. Now, this was under Windows 7. On the other hand, Windows XP was a major pain to get codecs working properly.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
I may be giving you a shout soon as I've just bought some stuff for a custom build HTPC.

Case - Antec ISK-100, Black/Silver, Mini-i
Mobo - E35M1-I DELUXE MITX DDR3 HDMI DVI SATA 6GB/S GLN
HDD - 60GB OCZ Solid 3 SSD, 2.5" SATA 6Gb
Mem - Corsair XMS3 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz
OS - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

From what I can remember (many years ago) codecs were a massive problem for me the last time I used a client pc with Sage.
No problem. Codecs are the main issue, but once you find the right ones (which I seem to have) you are good to go. Some that I wish sage would play nice with don't work for some reason (MPC-HC for h.264) annoy me, but ffdshow works perfectly for the most part.

EDIT: Pretty sweet little board. I may have to revise my client build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
The biggest issue I ever had with a client PC was getting HD bitstreaming working, but there were plenty of people to help with that both here and at Missing Remote. It only took a couple of days to get it working. Now, this was under Windows 7. On the other hand, Windows XP was a major pain to get codecs working properly.
I'm about to grab a new receiver so I'll get to play with that functionality. I'm still in waiting territory for the time being. Hopefully it will be as easy as you say.

Last edited by panteragstk; 07-06-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
No problem. Codecs are the main issue, but once you find the right ones (which I seem to have) you are good to go. Some that I wish sage would play nice with don't work for some reason (MPC-HC for h.264) annoy me, but ffdshow works perfectly for the most part.

EDIT: Pretty sweet little board. I may have to revise my client build.
So would you be able to let us Dummies know?
IE. What codecs, how to configure, etc, etc, etc.

Or does it also depend upon what hardware, OS, etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Sage Expert

Re: codecs, Windows needs a mechanism to "lock" all codec priorities and configurations so they can't be accidentally messed up with new software/updates, etc. Or, maybe some intrepid Sage user could come up with software that installs the right configuration of codecs and sets them to the right priority, that way, fixing issues is only a few clicks away.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I would stick with intel boards for what it is worth. Intel processors with intel boards just make since and bitstreaming from sandybridge and windows 7 is painless. I am mostly having issues with 24hz playback but hoping to solve that soon.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
So would you be able to let us Dummies know?
IE. What codecs, how to configure, etc, etc, etc.

Or does it also depend upon what hardware, OS, etc, etc, etc.
Honestly keep it simple. Codec packs are the enemy. I use cyberlink decoder for mpeg2 (manly for dvd menu's) and because the built in ms decoders for w7 act funny sometimes with mpeg2. For vc-1 and h.264 I use ffdshow with no issues. Audio is all handled by ffdshow as well. That's pretty much it.

I also disable the sage splitter for .mkv and .mov as it doesn't like my decoders for those file types.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I would stick with intel boards for what it is worth. Intel processors with intel boards just make since and bitstreaming from sandybridge and windows 7 is painless. I am mostly having issues with 24hz playback but hoping to solve that soon.
Isn't the 24hz issue something intel won't solve until the next generation? I've also read disable UAC solves that problem. Sort of.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Re: codecs, Windows needs a mechanism to "lock" all codec priorities and configurations so they can't be accidentally messed up with new software/updates, etc. Or, maybe some intrepid Sage user could come up with software that installs the right configuration of codecs and sets them to the right priority, that way, fixing issues is only a few clicks away.
I'll try to post something more in-depth when I get a chance, but it isn't all that difficult (if decoders are something you have messed with before).

I'll even put together a package with all the decoders I use to make it easier.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Isn't the 24hz issue something intel won't solve until the next generation? I've also read disable UAC solves that problem. Sort of.
Yeah I have UAC disabled. Nvidia gets close with 24fps and intel gets slighter off a bit more. But it is only like every 8 minutes you notice it if anything. My issues is audio is not staying in synch which has nothing to do with the refresh rate.

And FWIW intel said 24fps would be fixed with sandy bridge to I believe
Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Yeah I have UAC disabled. Nvidia gets close with 24fps and intel gets slighter off a bit more. But it is only like every 8 minutes you notice it if anything. My issues is audio is not staying in synch which has nothing to do with the refresh rate.

And FWIW intel said 24fps would be fixed with sandy bridge to I believe
That's the main reason my clarkdale graphics aren't used. Well and the fact that there is no way to manage overscan. My old crt needs help. When I buy my projector later this year it will be a non-issue, but 24hz support will be a must. I'm going to just grab an amd 6750 and be done with it. It seems those cards are the closest to correct. Plus the kick the crap out of intel hd graphics on the hqv test (subjective I know, but a good benchmark).

This is the best article I've found comparing the HTPC GPU's.

EDIT: Are you using sage to output 24hz? I didn't think that was supported?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Sage Expert

The other pet peeve of mine is the small gap that the HD300 adds between songs when you play music. This causes my receiver to go silent for about 2 seconds to detect what format the audio is in, so the first few seconds of music is always missing. Is there a way to set up the audio in a client PC to avoid this?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The other pet peeve of mine is the small gap that the HD300 adds between songs when you play music. This causes my receiver to go silent for about 2 seconds to detect what format the audio is in, so the first few seconds of music is always missing. Is there a way to set up the audio in a client PC to avoid this?
My client doesn't do that. I think. Granted all my files with very few exceptions are .mp3's so that shouldn't be an issue. I was working on a music ui alternative, but it was in such an early stage of development that I'm not going to mess with it.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Sage Expert

I've brought this issue up with Sage support and they said the issue is that the Sage software (at least on the extenders) can't access and bring together the data from the end of one song with the beginning of the next fast enough, so a small gap of silence is inserted. I assumed that a client PC would have the same problem, but maybe different sound card drivers handle this "silence" differently?

One more thing, this doesn't relate to the format of the music. MP3, FLAC, ALAC all has this problem. Maybe my receiver is just extra sensitive.

Last edited by Evil_Attorney; 07-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I've brought this issue up with Sage support and they said the issue is that the Sage software (at least on the extenders) can't access and bring together the data from the end of one song with the beginning of the next fast enough, so a small gap of silence is inserted. I assumed that a client PC would have the same problem, but maybe different sound card drivers handle this "silence" differently?

One more thing, this doesn't relate to the format of the music. MP3, FLAC, ALAC all has this problem. Maybe my receiver is just extra sensitive.
I'm a j2ee/database guy and haven't actually worked with media playing, but my understanding is that "gapless" playback isn't trivial to implement. The 2 audio streams have to be merged together. I'm guessing that the reason Sage can't do it is that they don't want to re-write their core music libraries.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Sage Expert

What OS.....What hardware works best... What codec... What settings....

Extenders were the strength of SageTV. I gladly did the ebay routine to get two backups for the 6 I have in use. To me it was money well spent. Clients are no cheaper and not as easy.

That said, I still have to build a client. I need to prove I can make one work again and also need one to overcome the timeline issue my R5000's sometimes present on the extenders. I know now that Sage will never fix this bug.