SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I can view the "dump" capture but not the FFMPEG. Do you think it could still be the firewall now that I have shared that info?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter69 View Post
I can view the "dump" capture but not the FFMPEG. Do you think it could still be the firewall now that I have shared that info?
If you can View Dump not a firewall issue. If using ffmpeg you have to make sure that this property is false for your primes.

mmc/encoders/123456984/100/0encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

But if your files have a TS extension then you probably have another problem ... SAGETV is not the best in recording TS streams from the Prime as the demuxer and stuff is outdated... Also the ffmpeg that is built in to SAGEDCT is also outdated.

PS.. Make sure that if you are on a 64BIT system you Install SAGEDCT 64 bit

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-18-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
f you can View Dump not a firewall issue. If using ffmpeg you have to make sure that this property is false for your primes.

mmc/encoders/123456984/100/0encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
I confirmed this line is false.

Quote:
But if your files have a TS extension then you probably have another problem ... SAGETV is not the best in recording TS streams from the Prime as the demuxer and stuff is outdated... Also the ffmpeg that is built in to SAGEDCT is also outdated.
My files are being recorded as mpg

Quote:
Make sure that if you are on a 64BIT system you Install SAGEDCT 64 bit
I am using the 64bit version of sagedct.

I am just coming from a regular hdhomerun could that effect things? I see remanents of tuners I used to use in the properties file could the old tuners left in there cause me problems?

What is the best way to cleanup the properties file to remove the old tuners?

I appreciate any and all help troubleshooting this.
Bill
Old 11-18-2014, 11:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I confirmed this line is false.

My files are being recorded as mpg

I am using the 64bit version of sagedct.

I am just coming from a regular hdhomerun could that effect things? I see remanents of tuners I used to use in the properties file could the old tuners left in there cause me problems?

What is the best way to cleanup the properties file to remove the old tuners?

I appreciate any and all help troubleshooting this.
Bill
If your files are being recorded as MPG then that property must be true. There are several Instances of that property .... look for encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true and if you find them corresponding to the Prime tuners they must be changed to false. In order for ffmpeg to work. You need to look for that property there more than 1.

If your recordings are MPG what is happening is that FFMPEG in SAGEDCT is trying to remux it at the same time Sage is trying to remux it to MPG. So it will not work.

PS You need to make sure SageTV is completely shutdown the Service and all.... before making the changes.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-18-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well I looked at files recorded from my hdhomerun and I see the mpg extension.

I do see this line

mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true

but I see

mmc/encoders/123456970/100/0/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
Old 11-18-2014, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well I looked at files recorded from my hdhomerun and I see the mpg extension.

I do see this line

mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true

but I see

mmc/encoders/123456970/100/0/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
You should not be creating MPG if you use FFMPEG change them all to false.

encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true ...to... encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you. I changed it to false. In sage I have seen this option and was wondering about it (this is how it looks in the properties file)

mmc/enable_mpeg4_timeshifting=true

mmc/enable_software_encoding=true

Suggestions
Bill
Old 11-18-2014, 12:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thank you. I changed it to false. In sage I have seen this option and was wondering about it (this is how it looks in the properties file)

mmc/enable_mpeg4_timeshifting=true

mmc/enable_software_encoding=true

Suggestions
Bill
I do not have mpeg4 capture devices so that has nothing to do with capturing from Prime.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I do not have mpeg4 capture devices so that has nothing to do with capturing from Prime.
Thanks for being patient with me. Hopefully the change I made will make it work. I will see tonight.

Bill
Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Setup process is the same as the Ceton DCT.

1) Make sure you're running 7.1.9
2) Install SageDCT
3) Shut down the SageTV Service
4) Run the SageDCT config tool, scan for devices and generate the encoder properties when all tuners are found
5) copy the results from the txt file into the sage.properties file
6) Start SageTV Service
7) Configure the capture sources to use the right lineup - you do not need to do a channel scan
8) Enjoy (I think)
I connected my PRIME and validated my CableCARD today (YAY!). I used my Win7 laptop (not the system on which SageTV is installed) to do all the CableCARD setup stuff because the cable guy was here and it was just easier that way. Everything seems to be working; the channel scan found all my channels and I can watch live TV on my laptop in Windows Media Center.

I will soon be donating to acquire the latest version of SageDCT. I will initially attempt to install and set it up on my Sage box running Win Vista, and will upgrade to Win 7 if necessary.

I have the SageDCT instructions from Missing Remote. I'm sorry if this question was already addressed in this thread: do I need to install the HDHomeRun software on my Sage box, or can I just install SageDCT and have it detect the Prime tuners on my network?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 PM
SageTVaholic

You must have the HDHomerun software installed on your server, before installing SageDCT.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
You must have the HDHomerun software installed on your server, before installing SageDCT.
Thanks so much for your help, KryptoNyte. And thanks for all the other helpful info you've posted here regarding your experience with SageDCT and Prime.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Sage User

Sorry, I just thought of another question: on the Applications tab in the HDHomeRun app, Media Center is selected as the Main application by default. SageTV is not an option, of course. Is there a specific option I should choose from the list, or is it OK to just leave it set to Media Center?
Old 11-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

New HDHomerunPrime user

I finally got my Cable card validated after several phone calls to Charter without resolution. They finally sent a tech to my house and after several phone calls, they were able to get the card validated. Seems like the MAC address and SN of the card did not match in the Central office so they saw the card as not valid. Geez! go figure why the 1 level support people couldn't figure that out. Also, the first thing the tech said when he saw my Prime was, "I have no idea what that is. I never saw that before!" Really? After working with Charter for 3 years he never saw a HDPrime?

Now I have a few questions:

1. Will SageDCT work with SageTV Version 6.1?

2. It appears that capturing HD TV requires about 2MB/s bandwidth and STD about .5-1MB. If i am recording 3 HD shows at once and watching another, that basically eats up my 100Mb/s LAN network, correct?

3. My Samsung Smart TV can see the Tuners on my network but when i click on one of the channels, it won;t play. I thought that this being a DLNA device i was supposed to be able to do that.

4. So far I haven't configured anthing with the Homerun yet but can see that it will play channels using the Quick TV application.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
Sorry, I just thought of another question: on the Applications tab in the HDHomeRun app, Media Center is selected as the Main application by default. SageTV is not an option, of course. Is there a specific option I should choose from the list, or is it OK to just leave it set to Media Center?
You need to install it on the Server that already has SageTV Installed..... SageTV has to be Installed then you can start up the HD Homerun setup and SageTV will be there... and select it. and apply.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post

2. It appears that capturing HD TV requires about 2MB/s bandwidth and STD about .5-1MB. If i am recording 3 HD shows at once and watching another, that basically eats up my 100Mb/s LAN network, correct?
If the quality of your wires and connections are good allowing for full 100 megabit/second, then I would say you're still okay. Your recording bitrates are probably between 9 and 16 megabits/second, per channel, so (3+1)x16 = 64 megabits per second.

You can always watch the Ethernet traffic on the server using task manager to get a real picture of throughput.

I would personally urge folks to move to gigabit network if your doing any form of internal media streaming, and I would be sure that my SageTV server has a dedicated network card instead of using the on-motherboard network.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post
Also, the first thing the tech said when he saw my Prime was, "I have no idea what that is. I never saw that before!" Really? After working with Charter for 3 years he never saw a HDPrime?

3. My Samsung Smart TV can see the Tuners on my network but when i click on one of the channels, it won;t play. I thought that this being a DLNA device i was supposed to be able to do that.
My Charter guy had never seen one either. He also had never installed a tuning adapter. I actually didn't ask for a tech to install, but when I called Charter to ask for a CableCARD, their system wasn't working properly and they couldn't set up the shipment. To make up for the issue, they gave me a free professional install. I had everything set up and ready for him and everything went smoothly.

What model Samsung TV do you have? Do you have the HDHomeRun app from Samsung? Discussions on the SiliconDust forums appear to indicate having the app is best (although not without issues), and Samsung has a model compatibility list for the app. Unfortunately, SiliconDust hasn't been very good about updating the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
You need to install it on the Server that already has SageTV Installed..... SageTV has to be Installed then you can start up the HD Homerun setup and SageTV will be there... and select it. and apply.
Thanks, nyplayer. I have only installed the software on my laptop so far. I'll look for SageTV in the list when I install it on my Sage box.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

ah, ok thanks. i didn't know i needed an app for my TV. I'll look for it in the Samsung Store tonight and try it out.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 11-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for being patient with me. Hopefully the change I made will make it work. I will see tonight.

Bill
This worked and everything seemed to be functioning well.

Thanks for the help
Bill
Old 11-19-2014, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This worked and everything seemed to be functioning well.

Thanks for the help
Bill
You are Welcomed.