SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Looking to buy HD PVR w/multiple recording capacity

Currently just have a shaw digital cable box. Looking to get a HD PVR that has the capacity to record multiple programs at the same time, specifically hockey, football and basketball games as well as some regular shows. Can current HD PVR's do this and if not what is my best way to do this? Should I, or can I be using my computer in some way? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Sage Icon

One HD-PVR can only tune one channel (via a set-top box) at a time.

If you want to record three channels at a time, you would need three HD-PVRs and three cable boxes. And you'd have to set up USB-UIRT to do the tuning...

(This isn't a Canada specific issue, you might want to post in the hardware section or search the hardware section for posts about using multiple HD-PVRs.)

A CableCard device (in your computer) might be another alternative -- those often have multiple tuners per card but its viability will depend on if Shaw protects their channels (via the copy flag).
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM
SageTVaholic

I think when the OP said HD PVR they meant that in a generic context and did not mean the specific product called the "Hauppauge HD-PVR".

Unfortunately CableCard is not an option in Canada. The OP is in Calgary so his/her Cable Co would be Shaw.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Sage Icon

I have this running with a 4TB external esata drive,

www.shaw.ca/gateway

Works pretty slick, still not sagetv, but 6 HD tuners and lots of space and an ok UI. They are working on updates to add functionality and squash some bugs soon.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have Rogers here in Ontario but this Shaw solution http://www.shaw.ca/Gateway/Features/ looks interesting. I think that Arris is used in some cities in the US.

If you want to use a computer you would need an Hauppauge HD-PVR or Colossus for premium HD including cable sports channels, however you might be able to add to that with OTA ATSC. Here we get 15 channels OTA and you should be able to at least get HNIC. With the combination of OTA and the HD-PVR with time-shifted East/West cable feeds, I can record quite a bit of HD content with just one STB. I wouldn't have been able to record hockey and final four this afternoon though.

Martin
Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
I have this running with a 4TB external esata drive,

www.shaw.ca/gateway

Works pretty slick, still not sagetv, but 6 HD tuners and lots of space and an ok UI. They are working on updates to add functionality and squash some bugs soon.
Alll you Shaw customers are very fortunate to have access to the Aris gateway with its 6 tuners .... It's a fantastic device tat provides significant advantages ... To bad that Rogers do not provide its customers the Aris option. Consider yourself very fortunate.

Tags
hd pvr