SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD300's spontaneously shutting off randomly..

Hi all.. Our two HD300's are both exhibiting a spontaneous interest in powering off at random times. Both are running the beta firmware for quite some time and when I rebuilt our server several weeks ago I installed the auto-poweroff plugin and the otherday uninstalled it thinking it might be misbehaving but the problem continues.. Any ideas on why this might be happening? Usually the units are very hot when it happens..

Any ideas?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
Hi all.. Our two HD300's are both exhibiting a spontaneous interest in powering off at random times. Both are running the beta firmware for quite some time and when I rebuilt our server several weeks ago I installed the auto-poweroff plugin and the otherday uninstalled it thinking it might be misbehaving but the problem continues.. Any ideas on why this might be happening? Usually the units are very hot when it happens..

Any ideas?
Any SageTV extender automatically powers off when it doesn't "hear" from the server after a very short timeout, in fact it "polls" the connection regularly and when the connection to the SageTV server drops for any reason it automatically shut-down (soft power off). You said that you did rebuild your server recently and I think that something happened during that process. As a start I would disable all third party plugins to see whether they contribute to the issue, if so then I re-enable it one by one to find the offending one.

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 03-23-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 AM
Sage Expert

You should also check whether its actually powering off or whether its just the miniclient has died/stopped.

If its powered off, you won't see any LEDs and it won't respond to ping/telnet on the network. If miniclient isn't running you get a red LED but it should still respond on the network
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
I installed the auto-poweroff plugin and the otherday uninstalled it thinking it might be misbehaving
How you dare saying my plugin is misbehaving?...sorry, but I couldn't resist...

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 03-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks for the replies.. Routerunner, I'm not finger pointing but it was the only plugin I added but hadn't tried before on the 'old' server.

In terms of the mini-client -- is that a process that runs on the HD300 that should respond to a ping after it dies? I'll try that next time it dies on me (It just did a few minutes ago but I powered-on before reading this thread again).. any ideas on how short a timeout it might take before it shuts down? are we talking a few seconds or milliseconds or ??

I'll try to take notes next time it happens.. Is there any sort of log I can review that might indicate what happened whether on the server or the HD300?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Sage Expert

Its not the miniclient that responds to ping, its the underlying network stack. If you can ping but there is no HDMI output etc then its not powered off.

miniclient is a bit like running the sage client on Windows - Windows can be running but the sage client may have crashed. Same idea...

I'm not sure if miniclient activity is logged on the HD300 - I would hope so but I've never looked.

The other approach to this problem is to identify the change (eg plugin installation) that triggered it, as routerunner is suggesting.
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok.. Quick followup.. I finally was able to spend the time to play with it a bit.. It appears the mini client is going belly up.. When this happens the power light goes red but still responds to pings just fine.. So, is that a correct assumption?

Also, once I powered it back up by pressing the button on the remote, I get (but not always) the following error popping up with an "OK" button to push:

Quote:
There was a Playback Error in playback. Details:
sage.PlaybackException
I'm assuming this may be due to the miniclient not running perhaps?? Once this occurs the only fix is a full hard power-cycle then its good for a while.. We see this multiple times per day (at least twice) over a period of ~4-6 hours...

Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just a quickie followup.. Since the last posting, the server died due to a firmware issue with my SSD used as the boot drive.. Once I figured it out and got the server working again, I had a boot issue due to having two bootable drives.. Anyway, I ended up reloading the software from the ground up -- reinstalled Windows 7 and everything after it..

Once that was done, my HD300's both behave perfectly -- I've not experienced one random shutoff since that happened.. I wonder if perhaps some windows update messed something up somewhere along the way.. Anyway, this issue appears to be gone now..
Old 11-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Sage User

same issue

I know this is an old thread but thought I would update it as it might be handy to other users somewhere down the line.

I to have the same issue but only one my current build of my server (win7 Ent) on a HP 36NL that I have been running for many years without issue. Both my HD200 and HD300 have the same issue. After doing some swapping around with switches and locations as 1 location is via powerline adapters I too think its my server build.

Due to replace the server with a newer n54l in the next few weeks so will post how it goes.

Thanks
Mark