SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Sage User

HD300 freezes at SageTV logo

I've unplugged it several times. When it starts up it just sits at the SageTV logo and stops. Also, it's not responding to input from the remote. Any ideas?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad98 View Post
I've unplugged it several times. When it starts up it just sits at the SageTV logo and stops. Also, it's not responding to input from the remote. Any ideas?
Do you recall what you were doing with the unit before the "accident" happened? I suspect you're flash is corrupted. Please follow this procedure:

- Do "Reset Configuration" procedure (Power on the unit whilst pressing the back button on the remote) the service menu should show up.
- Telnet into the unit (user "root").
- Type "dmesg" at the prompt without double quotes.
- Look for a message like "nand_open error -5"

The above message means that the unit's flash is corrupted, hence the device driver "sigmablock" is not installing the right devices in "/dev" as a consequence the required flash file system where the sage code is cannot be mounted, so when you type "mount" at the prompt to get the list of currently mounted file systems the following two entries are missing:

Code:
/dev/sigmblockf on /app type squashfs (ro,relatime)
/dev/sigmblockg on /rw type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,data=writeback)
the first entry is where the sage code is "/app" and the second is the rewritable file system sage uses to store various information.

If is the case above, I suggest to contact customer support and ask them whether they have some utilities from Sigma Design that allows you to "clear" the flash in a known state as when the unit is in such state it doesn't even allow you to do the firmware upgrade because the above mentioned devices in "/dev" are not there.

Also, do you roughly recall when you purchased the unit?

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 03-30-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 AM
SageTVaholic

This happens consistently for me when I have no internet connection. Not sure why an internet connection would make a difference.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Sage User

Thank you both for your help. After letting it sit overnight it finally started up. The lack of an Internet connection may have contributed. For some reason it and my router quit playing nicely. I finally assigned it a static ip on my router and set the device up as static and now all is well.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thank you both for your help. After letting it sit overnight it finally started up. The lack of an Internet connection may have contributed. For some reason it and my router quit playing nicely. I finally assigned it a static ip on my router and set the device up as static and now all is well.
I was able to reproduce this issue by simply powering down the HD300... then unplug the internet router so that i have no internet connection at all, then power on the HD300, and it freezes on startup, even though I can still easily ping my SageTV, etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I finally assigned it a static ip on my router and set the device up as static and now all is well.
Usually, if you are reserving an IP address in the router for a device (based on the device's MAC address), you would leave the device itself set for DHCP. Setting the device up with a static IP address that matches the DHCP-reserved IP address in the router is overkill, and could lead to problems/confusion down the road if you change one but forget to change the other.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am having the exact same problem that Brad described in the original post. My HD300 stops at the sagetv logo. Routerunner has been kind enough to help me with some of the troubleshooting and I believe the dmesg results in the post above is from my HD300.

Stuckless - since you were able to reproduce this could you reproduce the lockup on your system and then follow the procedure that Routerunner discussed in his post above. I would love to see if the dmesg results would be similiar.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
This happens consistently for me when I have no internet connection. Not sure why an internet connection would make a difference.
I would like also to point out that this is not a normal behavior as the HD300 (like the HD200) should be perfectly capable of full stand alone mode which means, no network connection at all, in fact like the HD200, you should be able to connect just an external HDD to the USB port for your media.

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 03-31-2012, 06:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
I would like also to point out that this is not a normal behavior as the HD300 (like the HD200) should be perfectly capable of full stand alone mode which means, no network connection at all, in fact like the HD200, you should be able to connect just an external HDD to the USB port for your media.
Actually it works fine in standalone mode... ie, No network cable plugged in, and boot to the stand-alone UI. This issue is only if you want to connect to the SageTV and you've connected it to the network, and then try to connect to SageTV without an internet connection.

ie, shut down the HD300, leave it connected to the network. Then unplug your internet modem, so that you have no internet connection, and then try to start the HD300 and connect to SageTV server. See if you have they same issue. I have 2 HD300s they both hang when I do this. This was painfully frustrating last year when I lost internet for a week .