SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
No idea, maybe the codec your using
What codec are you using? I'm using LAV from Doom9, works fine with Freeview HD but can't get it to work with this. With Deinterlacing on aggressive I lose the lines, but it's very blocky with movement. Looks okay on Showbiz, but I can't seem to get the Arcsoft decoders available in Sage...

Quote:
How ever you may want the 1512 because it come with IR Blaster and Remote and you get WinTV 7
No remote with my 1512.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Windows 7 Microsoft Codec

I just check there web page your right they didn't included in as part of the package I wonder why.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I just check there web page your right they didn't included in as part of the package I wonder why.
I guess because they see it as primarily a gamers' device. Or an MCE add-on?

In any case, I solved my picture-quality problems. I assumed Sage saw this as a digital input, but it sees it as analogue, so had applied a "Fair" quality to it, which I assume was setting the device's parameters to lower than I was setting them. Once at "Best" the blockiness has gone.

Now just need the blaster working and it might even be useful... Hauppauge UK Support have told me to talk to Hauppauge US Support as it's not available in the UK yet. Fingers crossed...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Sage Icon

Hmm, from Hauppauge:
"IF the database does not have your model the only option you have is to learn the keys of your STB remote. The remote must be IR and not RF. When learning the keys try holding the remote about one inch away from the receiver end of the IR cable."

How do I find out if it's IR or RF? If there's a red light flashes in the end of the remote, is it definitely IR?

And which end of the blaster cable is the receiver? The round or oval-ish one?

Seems to me like another expense for USB-UIRT is likely if I want this working...
Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 AM

See pic
Quote:
How do I find out if it's IR or RF? If there's a red light flashes in the end of the remote, is it definitely IR?
IR receive should flash a red light try test with a diff remote.
If you have an RF remote your SOL not even the USB-UIRT will help you here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webstore_ir-receive-learn.jpg (37.6 KB, 255 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM

Did little check and look like your are SOL
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...B/td-p/1023791
Look like your only option is IR to RF Converter
Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Did little check and look like your are SOL
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...B/td-p/1023791
Look like your only option is IR to RF Converter
Thanks, as ever on those forums lots of questions but no answers! The Cisco datasheet says it's an IR Receiver, not RF... Not sure if this means it's IR but out of normal range. No idea if there's a solution.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Thanks, as ever on those forums lots of questions but no answers! The Cisco datasheet says it's an IR Receiver, not RF... Not sure if this means it's IR but out of normal range. No idea if there's a solution.
The only thing I can think of in this case you may want try getting USB-UIRT w/additional 56KHz IR Sensor

Last edited by SHS; 08-09-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
How do I find out if it's IR or RF? If there's a red light flashes in the end of the remote, is it definitely IR?(
If you have a digital camera or smartphone you can look at the end of the remote through the camera and see the IR emitter flash when you press a button.
HTPC: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI, I7-6700, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro x64, Hauppauge HVR-1600, WinTV-dualHD, Colossus 2, Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Seagate 3TB, WD 3TB, 3TB, 5TB, Java v1.8.0_231, SageTVx64 v9.2.1.826, Samsung UN60EH6003F, Dish ViP222K, ViewHD 1x2 HDMI Splitter.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali View Post
If you have a digital camera or smartphone you can look at the end of the remote through the camera and see the IR emitter flash when you press a button.
Thanks man, it's definitely IR. The Hauppauge guy said to try with another remote and see if Learning worked, so I tried with a MVP remote. Didn't work. Tried about 5 times and it finally took. So I tried the same thing with my VM remote, and it took ages but it learned all the numbers...

Blasting the numbers back, it works if I use 3 different numbers, e.g. 567, but if I repeat a number it doesn't work, e.g 555 just gets 5 on the cable box and the second 2 digits never appear. Anyone know why this would happen? Tried tweaking the pause numbers in the BlastCfg, but no help.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

So it appears my colossus is dieing.

Any suggestions as to what to buy to replace it? Do all of the HD-PVR2s cause problems playing sources that are still recording? Is that the only known issues with them? Which is better a colossus with nightly reboots or HD-PVR2s?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Sage Icon

My HD-PVR2 1512 has no problems playing back what's currently recording (on PC client); but the blaster is useless for me (although if Colossus blaster works you'll probably be okay).
Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The only thing I can think of in this case you may want try getting USB-UIRT w/additional 56KHz IR Sensor
USB-UIRT came today, but I'm getting the same problem. Consecutive numbers aren't read. Found this:
Quote:
There are a few TVs (and other devices) which use infra-red (IR) "toggle codes" - these alternate between two different codes each time you press the button on your normal remote control. This is intended to avoid multiple commands being executed accidentally if the IR beam is broken during transmission (for example by the cat or another person walking between the remote control and the TV).

So, the first time you press the "channel up" button (for example, though this may also applies to other buttons), it will send one IR code (let's call it "code A", which will repeat for as long as you hold the button down), but the next time you press the same button, it will send a second IR code (B). On the third press, you'll be back to the first code A again, and so on. The TV will action a channel change when it sees code A, but it won't change the channel again if another code A is received consecutively, but is instead waiting to receive code B before it'll change channel in the same direction.
Probably means USB-UIRT is no better than the Hauppauge one.

One article says you can get around this by learning and pressing a useless button between, e.g. *. Any idea how I can do this with Sage? So for 333 I want to send 3*3*3*.

***LATER, MUCH LATER***
After much arsing about, I managed to record a new command called . in Sage using the stop key on my cable remote, told it to use 5 digits, and remapped e.g. 221 as 2.21 - this is working. Will be a PITA when I need to remap channels though...

Last edited by rickgillyon; 08-29-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Sage Icon

If I recall somewhere in the sage settings for the tuner using the USB-UIRT you can set the timing of the USB-UIRT. I do recall that when I set mine up I had to adjust the timing or it would sometimes miss a "button". i.e. I'd enter 1024 and the STB would see 124 or 104. By lengthening the timing in one of the settings available in the setup video sources menu for that tuner I got 100% success.
I believe it is one of the other options in the same menu where you told it to use the USB-UIRT for that tuner(s). If I recall there are two settings, one will lengthen the "on" time for the button press and the other is the pause time between presses. I believe I had to lengthen the pause time. If you are lucky enough as I was back when I used the USB-UIRT my STB had an actual display on the front that would show the buttons entered. I just kept fiddling with the timing until I could get channel changes as fast as possible with 100% success.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
If I recall somewhere in the sage settings for the tuner using the USB-UIRT you can set the timing of the USB-UIRT. I do recall that when I set mine up I had to adjust the timing or it would sometimes miss a "button". i.e. I'd enter 1024 and the STB would see 124 or 104. By lengthening the timing in one of the settings available in the setup video sources menu for that tuner I got 100% success.
I believe it is one of the other options in the same menu where you told it to use the USB-UIRT for that tuner(s). If I recall there are two settings, one will lengthen the "on" time for the button press and the other is the pause time between presses. I believe I had to lengthen the pause time. If you are lucky enough as I was back when I used the USB-UIRT my STB had an actual display on the front that would show the buttons entered. I just kept fiddling with the timing until I could get channel changes as fast as possible with 100% success.
For that menu it under Setup | Setup Video Sources | "Click on your Capture Device" | Tuner Control | Remote Control Option | Delay Between Codes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
For that menu it under Setup | Setup Video Sources | "Click on your Capture Device" | Tuner Control | Remote Control Option | Delay Between Codes
Thanks for filling in the details on that. I didn't have SageTv close at hand to drill down through the menus.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:52 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks, but that wasn't the problem at all, I'd already tried various pause lengths. the problem was alternating IR codes as stated. Live and learn! It means to add this cable source to my PVR cost in the region of £180 and probably 30 hours of struggling...

Still left with the problem that the cable box *sometimes* asks for a Parental Control PIN (mainly movies before 8pm) that can't be turned off. Guess I won't record those...
Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 AM

rickgillyon that must just suck I'm sorry I don't know what tell you
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
rickgillyon that must just suck I'm sorry I don't know what tell you
No worries, sh1t happens! It now works really well the vast majority of the time, and most films are on multiple times a day so I just record the ones on after 8pm...

It actually cost more like £200, I forgot the HDMI splitter (which works really well). Let's hope I don't get any other bright ideas any time soon!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

has anyone got the 1512 recording with something better than stereo audio? I am interested in 5.1 via spdif/opt or hdmi 5.1. thanks.