SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyman View Post
I have a few questions about the HD PVR2 models 1512 and 1504.

1) I noticed both appear to work under Sage - are there any major pros/cons over one or the other?
- I noticed the 1512 comes with a blaster - but the 1504 does not (but supports it on the box). Should I assume that these units would share the same kind of blaster/receiver cable as per older devices? (I could ask their support). Worst case I assume I could buy a cable from their store.

- If I was buying one today - which of the two would be the better choice.
There one same hardware there no diff both support Blaster/Receiver cable and both support Optical Audio input and the only real diff is that 1504 has a Green LED light where the 1512 has a Blue LED light.
Both have diff in packaging as in cable and software.
Yes that right you can order the cable from their store if need be.

Quote:
2) How would two HD PVR2s work with IR blasters? I have an SD HVR-1600 and when I inserted the HVR-2250, the IR blaster stopped working with the HVR-1600 - and was told by Hauppauge support the "drivers" only supported one card.

So I am wondering if the drivers with the HD PVR2s now support multiple units.
That right that why you go with the USB-UIRT IR Blaster with SageTV under Windows as only Linux multiple units with Hauppauge IR blasters but HD-PVR 2 are not supported at this time under Linux.
So NO to HD PVR2s supporting multiple with the on board IR Blaster under Windows sorry.

Quote:
3) Assuming yes to (2) - how many HD PVR2s could be supported within Sage on once PC? (for 3-4 cable boxes?)
As min you want.
A lot of todays late's motherboard has 2 USB hub supporting up to 4 device per hub on USB 2.0 give you to 8 device port.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
That right that why you go with the USB-UIRT IR Blaster with SageTV under Windows as only Linux multiple units with Hauppauge IR blasters but HD-PVR 2 are not supported at this time under Linux.
So NO to HD PVR2s supporting multiple with the on board IR Blaster under Windows sorry.
Unreal. It is one thing if Hauppauge decided to no longer work on updating their drivers for legacy SD products, but it's completely different with their HD products. I am sure many, like me, complained already with the older gear - can't understand why they wouldn't have done something about this. Not only to make it work but to actually tout "control up to 4 different HD PVR tuners" as marketing. (Sure most probably get only one but I have read people using multiple) I would have thought too - to sell their own products they would actually write Linux drivers for MythTV. Something amiss over there.

For some reason the UIRT was "working" then just stopped on my Win8 machine. Around the time I was suffering with halt detections. I will take a look again and see if I can get it working along with the ZONE stuff (simulated) with my existing single setup ahead of spending money on the HD PVR.

Anyways - I thank you very much SHS - you have posted some great feedback in this thread alone and appreciate your help.

Cheers!
belly
Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Unreal. It is one thing if Hauppauge decided to no longer work on updating their drivers for legacy SD products, but it's completely different with their HD products. I am sure many, like me, complained already with the older gear - can't understand why they wouldn't have done something about this. Not only to make it work but to actually tout "control up to 4 different HD PVR tuners" as marketing. (Sure most probably get only one but I have read people using multiple) I would have thought too - to sell their own products they would actually write Linux drivers for MythTV. Something amiss over there.

For some reason the UIRT was "working" then just stopped on my Win8 machine. Around the time I was suffering with halt detections. I will take a look again and see if I can get it working along with the ZONE stuff (simulated) with my existing single setup ahead of spending money on the HD PVR.

Anyways - I thank you very much SHS - you have posted some great feedback in this thread alone and appreciate your help.

Cheers!
belly
I think reason why is that market is change to fast that they can keep up do keep mind that RD takes at lease min of 1/2 years.
Beside with in next 5 year by 2020 everything will be moving to online steaming.
As for Linux I know but keep in mind there lot of Red Tape B.S. that hold them back.
We can round and round about but unless all other chip manufacturers agree on it, it going no where when come to linux.
The reason why Hauppauge PVR model got Linux was dose to a major error by 3rdparty TV manufacturers that posted Full Blowing Source Code Kit on chipset enter working as well boat load other stuff.
I been after them with HD-PVR 2 and Colossus and linux but as you can still no go even know there linux driver both above model as well the HVR model.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Sage User

Having trouble with HD PVR 2 & Sage TV

I've been a SageTV user for a while but have never needed a forum account. I recently acquired a Happauge HD PVR 2 device and am trying to use it with Sage TV, and am having problems setting it up.

I am able to record video at various bitrates and container formats using the Hauppauge Capture software version 1.0.33251 running on Windows 7 64-bit. I am not able to record using the SageTV software.

To set up, I downloaded and ran (as administrator) both the “hdpvr2_32.reg” and “hdpvr2_64.reg” files while SageTV was turned off. After a restart, I set-up the Siena Video Capture as a video source using the HDMI for video and audio input and using a USB tuner. (Keep in mind that when I record video with the Happauge Capture software, which is running on the SageTV machine, it records video and audio just fine) With SageTV shut off, I then added the following two lines to sage.properties because of what I read in this thread:

mmc/python2_encoding/Colossus\ Max\ Constant\ Rate=videobitrate\=20000000|vbr\=0|outputstreamtype\=1
mmc/python2_encoding/Colossus\ Max\ Variable\ Rate=videobitrate\=13500000|vbr\=1|peakvideobitrate\=20000000|outputstreamtype\=1

I also modified the relevant setting for the video source's “delay_to_wait_after_tuning” and this delay is evident during tuning.

Then I loaded SageTV, opened the program guide, and attempted to record a channel. I monitor what the system is doing via the HDMI out of the HD-PVR 2, and see that the tuning is successful. I also see zero byte recording files getting created by SageTV. The files do not grow in size, and a “Capture Device Failure” and subsequent “Halt Detected in Recording” errors appear in the System Messages window. Also, an error dialog pops up that states “There was a Capture Error in playback. Details: ERROR (-5, 0x80140000): There was a problem setting up software video compression.” The system fails to record anything.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what do you do to resolve the issue?

Because of the error message about “software video compression” I have started troubleshooting by taking a closer look at the SageTV video encoder settings. (Which is interesting, because in this case the HD PVR 2 will be doing the encoding and packaging of the media, not SageTV)

As part of the instructions for setting up SageTV to utilize the HD PVR 2 device, the readme says “4: Now go to Detailed Setup | Multimedia | Recording Quality you need set it to one of H.264 recording profile.” I am attempting to use my HD PVR 2 with SageTV 7.1.9 and 9.0.3.178 (for testing). Neither of these versions of the software come with a default recording setting that permits recording using the h.264 codec for the video stream. Does anyone know how how I can accomplish this step?

Earlier in the thread, SHS posted a screenshot of recordings that make me think that SageTV can be told to treat the HD PVR 2 as a source for MPEG TS with h264 elementary streams or that the media is already encoded somehow. Is this correct? If so, how was this accomplished?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 AM

The Colossus profile is to high for the HD-PVR 2 and Colossus 2, The Max you can go is 13500000 with both the HD-PVR 2 and Colossus 2. There really no point in add in custom bitrate as SageTV one just as good

Open regedit go to
32bit OS
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\Hauppauge Siena Video Capture

64bit OS
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\Hauppauge Siena Video Capture

If do see the folder "Hauppauge Siena Video Capture" then set try agine and reboot
Old 01-20-2016, 09:45 PM
Sage User

Thanks for responding SHS – I really appreciate your help!

After a reboot, I've run regedit.exe and looked for the folder you mentioned on my 64-bit OS. It appears to be there, along with the sub-keys “CaptureMask” and “ChipsetMask”. (see screen shot regedit-screenshot.png) Oddly, there are no other keys in that folder besides the two that were added by the “hdpvr2_64.reg” script. Is this right?

Ok, sounds like you are saying that there is no need to change the Detailed Setup > Multimedia > Recording Quality settings when using the HD PVR-2. As a result, I've set the recording quality for the “Hauppauge Siena Video Capture” capture device back to “Default / Not Set” which will mean it will default to the “Great” setting. (see screen shot sagetv-recording-quality-configuration.png)

To be clear, I suspect this will make SageTV think it needs to transcode to MPEG2, even though all I want to do is record the h.264 video that is coming out of the HD PVR-2. The readme that came with “hdpvr2_64.reg” seemed to suggest that I would need to make SageTV think it was recording an h.264 video. If it really is the case that there is no need to set the recording quality to anything other than the default?
Attached Images
File Type: png regedit-screenshot.png (76.3 KB, 264 views)
File Type: png sagetv-recording-quality-configuration.png (450.7 KB, 335 views)
Old 01-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Sage User

I should probably also add that I attempted to record a channel using the procedure I described in my earlier post. When I did, I got the same results as I did in my earlier post. The system tuned to the channel but the system failed to record any video or audio. When I pressed the “stop” button, an error popped up that said “There was a Capture Error in playback. Details: ERROR (-5, 0x80140000): There was a problem setting up software video compression.” (see screen shot capture-error.png)
Attached Images
File Type: png capture-error.png (83.5 KB, 266 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagetvuser489 View Post
I should probably also add that I attempted to record a channel using the procedure I described in my earlier post. When I did, I got the same results as I did in my earlier post. The system tuned to the channel but the system failed to record any video or audio. When I pressed the “stop” button, an error popped up that said “There was a Capture Error in playback. Details: ERROR (-5, 0x80140000): There was a problem setting up software video compression.” (see screen shot capture-error.png)
What OS
What ver of SageTV are you using and it Jar ver to ?
Have try change the decoder to default
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Sage User

Quote:
What OS
I run Windows 7 64-bit on any computer that is running the SageTV server.

Quote:
What ver of SageTV are you using and it Jar ver to ?
On my testing machine (where I've connected the HD-PVR 2) I am running SageTV v9.0.3.178 with the SageTV JAR versioned “9.0.3.178”. This JAR can be obtained from: https://bintray.com/opensagetv/saget...9.0.3.178/view as it is a build of the open source SageTV. In order to install this open source version of SageTV, I followed the instructions posted here (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...056#post578056), which means that I originally started by installing SageTV 7.1.9 and then upgraded it with the new files as described.

If you would prefer that we troubleshoot this on a stock\standard installation of 7.1.9, I can set that up and reply with what I find. Just let me know.

Quote:
Have try change the decoder to default
Ok, I'll change all of the decoders to the default settings. Here goes:
Detailed Setup > Video / Audio > MPEG2 Video Decoder Filter set to “Default”
Detailed Setup > Video / Audio > H.264 Video Decoder Filter set to “Default”
Detailed Setup > Video / Audio > VC-1 Video Decoder Filter set to “Default” (it was already)
Detailed Setup > Video / Audio > MPEG2 Audio Decoder Filter set to “Default”
Detailed Setup > Video / Audio > HD Audio Decoder Filter set to “Default”

After changing these settings, I exited SageTV (not in server mode) and re-started. Then, I attempted to record a channel as I described in my first post. When I did, I got the same results as I did in my earlier post. The system tuned to the channel but the system failed to record any video or audio. A picture of what I saw when I was viewing playback is attached as playback-view-with-hdpvr2-source.png. When I pressed the “stop” button, an error popped up that said “There was a Capture Error in playback. Details: ERROR (-5, 0x80140000): There was a problem setting up software video compression.”
Attached Images
File Type: png playback-view-with-hdpvr2-source.png (86.2 KB, 337 views)