SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Did the first gen HD-PVR have an IR blaster as well?
Yes it does. If you get/have more than one however, you will have to use a USB-UIRT...
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 01-10-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Did the first gen HD-PVR have an IR blaster as well?

I just looked up a photo on Newegg and it looks like it did though I never used it or paid attention to it (I use firewire to change channels). However, if I ever upgrade to a 64bit OS I will need to look into IR channel changing...
Yes there a IR Blaster on HD-PVR and Hauppauge HD-PVR: Gaming Edition
Now the HD-PVR 2: Gaming Edition did not come with one
Now new HD-PVR 2 dose come with one
Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
SHS,

I didn't realize that two different chips were used in the different models. Are there any significant differences between the Ambarella A2 and the Magnum DXTPro?
Yes there diff in the two
The Ambarella A2 Encoder only
The Magnum DXTPro Encoder and Transcoder
Old 01-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Crap this doesn't make me happy one bit word is DD 5.1 (AC3) Recording will only be on HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus and HD-PVR 2 model 1512 only will guest there going to be a lot unhappy camper out there.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
SageTVaholic

A few of you folks have been following the development of this series of hardware quite closely. Has there been any talk of supporting closed captioning in there somewhere?

I believe all units of this (analog) nature seem to be missing this feature.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

AFAIK, component and HDMI signals weren't designed to carry analog closed captioning which SD analog capture cards are able to decode and re-encode into the mpeg stream as userdata. That is why the STB typically has the ability to toggle this feature off and on, (which you could capture with the video) independently from the feature in the TV itself.

The only solution I ever read about with a complicated solution in MythTV where users recorded video with the HDPVR and the same channel off the SD analog port, and then used ccextractor to create an SRT file.

Martin
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
A few of you folks have been following the development of this series of hardware quite closely. Has there been any talk of supporting closed captioning in there somewhere?

I believe all units of this (analog) nature seem to be missing this feature.
The other poster is correct, HDMI will not carry over closed caption signal but some rare devices will carry closed captioning over component if your TV is watching for it on component input.

To get around this issue, I have to use STB that already decoding Closed Caption before it get sent out via HDMI or Component meaning that it will be recording closed captioning burn into the video itself so there will be no way to enable or disable closed captioning. It will become open captioning when playing back.

I use DirectV STB because all the HD STB have built in closed captioning decoder which it decodes the closed captioning before sending it out via HDMI/Component.

DirectTV STB even allows you to change the fonts or size of the closed captioning so I was able to make it slight bigger than than the normal size to allow me to encode it to mpg4 and watch it on my smart phone.

So if you want closed captioning over HDMI/Component then your best bet is DirectTV or any cable provider STB that have closed captioning decoder built in.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post
AFAIK, component and HDMI signals weren't designed to carry analog closed captioning which SD analog capture cards are able to decode and re-encode into the mpeg stream as userdata. That is why the STB typically has the ability to toggle this feature off and on, (which you could capture with the video) independently from the feature in the TV itself.

The only solution I ever read about with a complicated solution in MythTV where users recorded video with the HDPVR and the same channel off the SD analog port, and then used ccextractor to create an SRT file.

Martin
Actually there are some devices that carry closed captioning over component and some TV that will listen for those signal via component input. But they are few and rare.

I own a Magnavox DVD and Sony 3D Blueray both will carry closed captioning over component to my LED Vizio TV when playing standard DVD discs only.

On my Sony 3D Blueray, I have both HDMI and Component plugged in so when I am playing Blueray I use HDMI and subtitle but when I am playing DVD which only offer closed caption with no English subtitle available then I switch over to component for closed captioning.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Crap this doesn't make me happy one bit word is DD 5.1 (AC3) Recording will only be on HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus and HD-PVR 2 model 1512 only will guest there going to be a lot unhappy camper out there.
Isn't AC3 recording a good thing for you hearing folks??? I am not sure what you mean by that posting.

Anyhow I been following your post and am thinking to buy those HD-PVR2 if they provide to be trouble-free and no longer require nightly reboot.

Right now I am using the Colossus and have to do the nightly reboot to keep it from crashing.

One thing I find disappointing is that they don't seem to offer digital coax in because all my STB only have digital coax out

Look like if my kids gonna want digital sound then I will probably have to find an coax to optical converter.

Thank for sharing!

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Anyhow I been following your post and am thinking to buy those HD-PVR2 if they provide to be trouble-free and no longer require nightly reboot.
I would wait until someone tests the HD-PVR 2 before buying. My first-gen HD-PVRs are rock solid and never require me to reboot SageTV - though I need to reboot the cable boxes about once every one to two months because Time Warner Cable.

I'm happy I never purchased a Colossus.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post

Martin
I wondered about that. I figured that when Hauppauge posted in their FAQ that the closed captioning was in the works that they knew something that I didn't. Oddly enough, that post in their FAQ for the HD-PVR is now missing in action.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Isn't AC3 recording a good thing for you hearing folks??? I am not sure what you mean by that posting.
What it means is Bill that the HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition model 1480 will not get any support for AC3 over HDMI only the two newer model will
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Coming Soon a new HD-PVR the big diff is come with Optical Audio IN as well as a port for the IR Blaster
Instead of making a whole new topic on this, I thought I'd ask here.

Does the HD-PVR 2 work with SageTV, and will the new one you linked to work with it as well?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Sage Expert

SHS, are you planning on buying either the GE plus or the 1512 models when they go onsale later this week? Would the registry change you provided for the HDPVR 2 GE work with these two models also? I'm thinking of buying one to play around with.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Just so all know HD-PVR 2: Gaming Edition Plus 1498 UK, 1499 French, 1500 Spain, 1501 Italy are Europe model and the HD-PVR 2 1512 is US model just know there is no US Plus model as far I know of.
Yes I plan on trying to get one.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Very interested in this. I just got (2) HD-PVRs setup - still doing my own "beta" testing before I tell my wife to start relying on the recordings. Channel changing does seem a bit slow - wondering if these new PVRs resolve any of that...

Having said that, I really wish they would make these into network devices, rather than USB

Last edited by drvnbysound; 02-04-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Just so all know HD-PVR 2: Gaming Edition Plus 1498 UK, 1499 French, 1500 Spain, 1501 Italy are Europe model and the HD-PVR 2 1512 is US model just know there is no US Plus model as far I know of.
Yes I plan on trying to get one.
After checking with Newegg, I pulled up the Hauppauge site as well (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...r2-gaming.html) which shows the 1480 and 1488 as US models (the 1488 comes with the English and French manual).

Newegg currently has them in stock for $150 (with free shipping): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116084

B&H also has them in stock... at the same price (including free shipping):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...g_Edition.html
Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnbysound View Post
After checking with Newegg, I pulled up the Hauppauge site as well (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...r2-gaming.html) which shows the 1480 and 1488 as US models (the 1488 comes with the English and French manual).

Newegg currently has them in stock for $150 (with free shipping): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116084

I think these are the old models, not the "Gaming Edition Plus" which can handle full surround sound.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM

If want the one that can handle full 5.1 surround sound then you want HD-PVR 2 1512

Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnbysound View Post

The 1488 is a Canada model that come with English and French Manual