SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
oh found one screen:

local quality 3Mbps
Direct play checked
Always use highest resolution is unchecked
Prefer AAC is unchecked

is that what you meant?
I believe he means if when you are watching a MKV is the Plex transcoder running? You can check this by looking at task manager in your Plex media server pc.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Sage Icon

no idea, how would I be able to tell? Honestly all i'm doing is pointing Plex at the directory, and selecting the video through Roku. The server is pretty beefy so i'm sure its yawning.

BTW, the one thing I realized is that if there's forced subtitles (like Avatar), i'm not getting those. I need to learn up on how to handle that, I may have ripped the MKV from the M2TS to not have those.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Given that the Plex server plays a role in determining how the file is "sent" to a client and that it has been determined by the Plex crew that the Roku won't deal with MKV over http, it's unlikely that anything but some sort of transcoding will work.

For the Roku, the options are available when you select a file for playback and are mostly covered here:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Pl...nd_Direct_Play

Quote:
Direct Stream and Direct Play

Transcoding media is important for smaller devices like a mobile phone or tablet. There is another class of device that are low-cost but extremely capable players - like the AppleTV. These devices can generally play higher resolution files, but work best with particular codecs. So, if you have a high resolution media fie encoded with the wrong codec, the file will need to be transcoded with the correct codec. The Plex Media Server handles these situations with smart transcoding, Direct Play and Direct Stream.

Direct Play
During the media analysis phase, the Plex Media Server looks at certain attributes of your media (resolution, bitrate, etc.). When a client requests a piece of media, the server looks at the client’s capabilities, compares them to the media parameters, and makes a determination as to whether or not the file can be directly played on the device. For example, if you have a properly prepared MP4 file, it’ll play without any transcoding on an iOS device. Tiny CPU usage, and no loss in quality. If you had a movie in MKV format and also encoded it for mobile devices (and both versions scanned into your library), the media server is smart enough to mark the specific version of the file as playable by the device.

Direct Streaming
Most of these devices support hardware decoding of the H.264 codec, but may not support a particular file format. When a client connects to the Plex Media Server, it describes its capabilities, and if the file falls within the acceptable range, the video is simply copied over to a compatible format (a process known as re-muxing). This again means that there is very little CPU used on the server side, and no loss in quality in the video. Streams start up nearly instantly, and seek quickly.

Smart Transcoding
Transcoding is handled smartly. If you have a media file that is partly compatible with the Client - maybe the video portion is correct but the audio is not - the process is smart enough to only transcode what's necessary and stream that to the client.
If you're a PlexPass user you can install the latest PMS beta and I believe anyone can grab the Test Roku Channel for Plex which includes the latest and greatest transcoder (selected by default in the test channel, can be changed in the Plex channel on the Roku via Settings >> Advanced >> Transcoder.)
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Sage Icon

not a plexpass user, although now I am contemplating getting a lifetime as a means of monetarily thanking the company for producing the (new) core of my system. Always skittish about beta software, given that this is "wife will kick my ass if it breaks" level.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Perhaps due to the release of Roku3 and it's new browser? (saw an article on that today in the WSJ)
Nope, nothign to do with the Specs of the ROKU3 -- i will tell you though that the roku3 speed wise and playback wise is fantastic. I am extremely happy with the UI, the playback, the speed, the incredible speed over dual band wifi... def. going to get a few more for around the house.

my test movie via plex is ALWAYS The Dark Knight in full uncompressed 1080p directly off of the bluray in MKV container. While roku still has mkv issues, plex now has no problem serving this up to the roku. ITs quick (loads in roughly 2 - 2.5 seconds, no hiccups, no blocking, no tearing, no audio drop out, no freezing, no nothing. Even over dual band wifi.

I have never been able to get this file to play correctly without telling plex to downmix it, as wel as play as transcode it into a 720p or lower resolution. Even then it was 15 seconds or so before it would play back. With the update to the roku channel and the huge updates to the transcoder in the newest version of the plex media server (plexPass release) I am more than happy with how everything is working.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Well then. Looks like I'm getting a Roku 3.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Well then. Looks like I'm getting a Roku 3.
I wonder what happened to the Rocku 2 XS ... that is the one I recently got I wonder why it is no longer on their site?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Sage Icon

Seems like they've discontinued it in favor of the Roku 3 (which is at the same price point as the Roku 2 XS).
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
Seems like they've discontinued it in favor of the Roku 3 (which is at the same price point as the Roku 2 XS).
Yeah seems like that but the only difference I see is the headphone jack. All the other specs are the same. They will probably drop in price.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XS-1080p-...N%3DB005CLPP84
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Sage Icon

Actually, the 2XS has analog audio out on the base and concurrently drives HDMI and that, which is HUGE. Now in order to connect the MBR Roku as a source to my NuVo for my inwall I need to connect it to the remote. Not a huge issue as I have a universal remote and I trained it to the Roku IR codes, but for many people thats an issue.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Yeah seems like that but the only difference I see is the headphone jack. All the other specs are the same. They will probably drop in price.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XS-1080p-...N%3DB005CLPP84
Big processor and ui speed difference In the two. And from what I hear the 3 handles plex and mkvs much better
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Big processor and ui speed difference In the two. And from what I hear the 3 handles plex and mkvs much better
I have no problem with Plex at all in the Roku2SX ... since I upgraded to the latest Plexpass releases. The Interface in the Rocku 3 looks much nicer but that will be available as an upgrade to the existing Rockus.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I have no problem with Plex at all in the Roku2SX ... since I upgraded to the latest Plexpass releases. The Interface in the Rocku 3 looks much nicer but that will be available as an upgrade to the existing Rockus.
indeed it does! its awesome on the roku3
Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
Given that the Plex server plays a role in determining how the file is "sent" to a client and that it has been determined by the Plex crew that the Roku won't deal with MKV over http, it's unlikely that anything but some sort of transcoding will work.

For the Roku, the options are available when you select a file for playback and are mostly covered here:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Pl...nd_Direct_Play
Someone has started a thread over at the Roku forums on the topic of MKV streaming over HTTP via Direct Play for those interested. http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54916
Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

The new official release of plex rocks.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
my test movie via plex is ALWAYS The Dark Knight in full uncompressed 1080p directly off of the bluray in MKV container. While roku still has mkv issues, plex now has no problem serving this up to the roku. ITs quick (loads in roughly 2 - 2.5 seconds, no hiccups, no blocking, no tearing, no audio drop out, no freezing, no nothing. Even over dual band wifi.
How does it handle jumping around in the file (FF, REV, Jump to near the end, etc.) That was my problem with the WD Live, playback was perfect, but jumping around in the files was a nightmare!
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm View Post
How does it handle jumping around in the file (FF, REV, Jump to near the end, etc.) That was my problem with the WD Live, playback was perfect, but jumping around in the files was a nightmare!
For me Roku3 has been very good for jumping around in the file. If the file is in the correct format already and plex doesn't have to transcode, there is no issues at all, no delay, etc. with transcoding, at least with the old transcoder and roku2, it was a bit painful to seek within the file. Now with the HUGE updates from plex on the ui and transcoder side, as well as the roku3 I am seeing very little lag when seeking to positions.

Keep in mind though I am running my plex server on a Windows 7 64 bit ultimate machine with 8 GB of ram and an AMD Phenom II x4 965 black edition..
Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
Nope, nothign to do with the Specs of the ROKU3 -- i will tell you though that the roku3 speed wise and playback wise is fantastic. I am extremely happy with the UI, the playback, the speed, the incredible speed over dual band wifi... def. going to get a few more for around the house.

I have never been able to get this file to play correctly without telling plex to downmix it, as wel as play as transcode it into a 720p or lower resolution. Even then it was 15 seconds or so before it would play back. With the update to the roku channel and the huge updates to the transcoder in the newest version of the plex media server (plexPass release) I am more than happy with how everything is working.
I know this is not the appropriate forum for this but you're the first person I found describing exactly what I'm struggling to setup properly. I have Plex Server, Roku3 and my entire movie collection ripped to MKVs using MakeMKV so it's a completely lossless library. Everything I play, even my TV shows recorded and converted to AVI will not direct play. They all transcode, take forever to start playing, and frequent pauses to cache. When I installed the Plex client on a PC it just plays instantly and flawlessly. For some reason, my Plex server feels the need to transcode the living daylights out of everything I try to play on my Roku3. From looking at my PMS CPU utilization it wants to transcode everything. How did you configure your setup to provide the no transcode performance you have for lossless BR rips to MKVs?

Cheers,
Scott
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Old Thread I know but I am fed up with SageTV. I have had lots of problems with my server and just about everything! Anyway I am waiting for DirecTV to show up and install the Genie. Looking forward to trying that and we can go from there. I am getting the one DVR and three mini clients and already want to get more (There is a limitation). Anyway I was playing with Plex on the Roku in order to watch my movie library. I am ready to bail. I missed the HD300 purchase option over the summer as I was traveling and with no replacement hardware in place in the event of failure (and my hd300's are starting to do strange things) I am ready for PLAN B.

Neil
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
I know this is not the appropriate forum for this but you're the first person I found describing exactly what I'm struggling to setup properly. I have Plex Server, Roku3 and my entire movie collection ripped to MKVs using MakeMKV so it's a completely lossless library. Everything I play, even my TV shows recorded and converted to AVI will not direct play. They all transcode, take forever to start playing, and frequent pauses to cache. When I installed the Plex client on a PC it just plays instantly and flawlessly. For some reason, my Plex server feels the need to transcode the living daylights out of everything I try to play on my Roku3. From looking at my PMS CPU utilization it wants to transcode everything. How did you configure your setup to provide the no transcode performance you have for lossless BR rips to MKVs?

Cheers,
Scott
Scott - Sorry I missed this a LONG time ago, I apologize. you can't play lossless BR rips in MKV format streaming over network to the roku. I have heard that you can use the roku usb media player to play loseless mkv, but there is still the limitation of bitrate. my BD rips are super high bitrate with no compression, etc. Only way i am able to get them to play nice with roku specifically is to convert them into MP4 or M4v more specfically H264 encoded with AAC audio or AC3 passthrough. this is def. not loseless but pretty damn good when using handbrake and ATV3 HD1080P setting.

hope that helps. feal free to PM me