SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Couple more questions...

I think I got it all straightened out and have the UI back to the way I had it when I wasn't running as a service!

Now when I run the GUI on the server... does it run in it's own Java VM?
As in it's heap is separate from the service? It seems like it is. If that's true then I can leave the gui up all the time.

Now the extenders will use from the service's heap, right? So by running as a service I gain back just one gui's worth?

I haven't experimented by running all three of my extenders, but it seems a little snappier! :-)

The big test will be navigation in my videos where my DVD and BD are. That was painfully slow. Who know, maybe I won't have to upgrade the server machine after all! :-)

Last question.. right now I'm running 4x 2TB disks as two 2TB mirrored arrays.
I'm thinking of breaking the mirror and just running them as 4 separate disks... and using disk synch software to copy 2 primary to two backups over night.
My thought is 2 drives can be spun down most of the time and then slightly less disk traffic when recording as it doesn't have to write to both drives in the mirror. (when they are in a software raid mirror.. do they ever spin down?) I know some people might think it silly to protect TV shows.. but I don't!

I can also, more easily, upgrade my storage and buy 1 4TB disk and have 3 2TB disks for recording and one 2TB and one 4TB for the backup!

Jim
Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

The Gui does run in its own JVM. The extenders will use the Service Heap.