SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Sage User

BMT Web not syncing setting changes or working with UNC

Trying to set up fanart on my new Sage build and having trouble with the BMT web interface.

When I'm in Sage and go into Detailed Setup\Customize\Fanart Options and look at the Fanart Central Folder (the second line), Sage is able to access the UNC share on my WHS server and see my "Phoenix Fanart" folder (which is currently empty, since I'm trying to get everything configured before I start recording). However, when I access the BMT web interface, the Status page has the "Fanart Folder" line in red, which I understand means it thinks the folder doesn't exist.

If I go back to Sage and change the Fanart Central Folder to a local path (in this case D:\Fanart) and then go refresh the BMT Web Status: it still shows the red UNC path. It is still showing the UNC path after a system reboot, which leads me to believe the BMT Web isn't talking with Sage.

Any idea what's going on here? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShawn View Post
Trying to set up fanart on my new Sage build and having trouble with the BMT web interface.

When I'm in Sage and go into Detailed Setup\Customize\Fanart Options and look at the Fanart Central Folder (the second line), Sage is able to access the UNC share on my WHS server and see my "Phoenix Fanart" folder (which is currently empty, since I'm trying to get everything configured before I start recording). However, when I access the BMT web interface, the Status page has the "Fanart Folder" line in red, which I understand means it thinks the folder doesn't exist.

If I go back to Sage and change the Fanart Central Folder to a local path (in this case D:\Fanart) and then go refresh the BMT Web Status: it still shows the red UNC path. It is still showing the UNC path after a system reboot, which leads me to believe the BMT Web isn't talking with Sage.

Any idea what's going on here? Thanks!
Have you tried setting the fanart path while in BMT? Without getting into too much detail, you should set the main central fanart folder using the BMT web interface, and then override it in each client, if needed.

To set the folder in BMT web, go to, Configure -> Phoenix -> Fanart/Metadata Options, and look for Central Fanart Folder.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Have you tried setting the fanart path while in BMT? Without getting into too much detail, you should set the main central fanart folder using the BMT web interface, and then override it in each client, if needed.

To set the folder in BMT web, go to, Configure -> Phoenix -> Fanart/Metadata Options, and look for Central Fanart Folder.
Yes, that was one of the first things I tried and was how I learned BMT Web didn't want to work with a UNC path. When it wasn't cooperating, I tried setting the UNC path from within Sage to make sure I wasn't putting in the path wrong; Sage had no problems with the path, which is also how I discovered that it wasn't syncing the address back over to BMT Web.

If it helps any, I'm not using any clients at the moment; the Sage server is connected directly to my TV.

Worst case I suppose I can store the fanart locally on the Sage server, but I'm trying to move as much as possible over to the WHS machine. How big does a fanart folder get after a few years of use?

(It may not have been clear from my earlier post, but the new Sage build I'm working on is a Sage server, not a new client. It's running on virtualized Windows 8 and my primary storage array is on a separate VM running WHS2011. I have a local drive that Sage is using as a recording directory to prevent write latency issues, but I'm going to migrate files over to WHS for long-term storage and was hoping to put the fanart there too.)
Old 09-01-2013, 05:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, that was one of the first things I tried and was how I learned BMT Web didn't want to work with a UNC path.
To be honest, I don't have much experience with UNC paths (I run a linux server), but I know that some people do keep their fanart on a network drive, but I don't know if they use UNC or just map a drive. Maybe a kind windows person will chime in here
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
To be honest, I don't have much experience with UNC paths (I run a linux server), but I know that some people do keep their fanart on a network drive, but I don't know if they use UNC or just map a drive. Maybe a kind windows person will chime in here
I tried changing it in BMT Web from the UNC path to the mapped-drive path (T:\Fanart) without any luck, so either I have something set up wrong or I should just go with plan C and keep it on the local recording drive.

The only real downside seems to be the the potential loss of the fanart if the drive fails. Should I backup the folder periodically so I don't have to re-scrape everything if that happens (and not have to set default banners/posters/etc all over again)?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I tried changing it in BMT Web from the UNC path to the mapped-drive path (T:\Fanart) without any luck, so either I have something set up wrong or I should just go with plan C and keep it on the local recording drive.

The only real downside seems to be the the potential loss of the fanart if the drive fails. Should I backup the folder periodically so I don't have to re-scrape everything if that happens (and not have to set default banners/posters/etc all over again)?
I recall something about SageTV having issues with UNC or Network drives when running as a service. ie, the SageTV service instance doesn't have permissions to access the network drives. A search through the forums might turn up something. Could this be your problem?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I recall something about SageTV having issues with UNC or Network drives when running as a service. ie, the SageTV service instance doesn't have permissions to access the network drives. A search through the forums might turn up something. Could this be your problem?
I've got Sage running as a service, but configured it to log in under a user account with network privileges instead of "LocalSystem." Since it has no problems with UNC paths when using the SageTV interface, I'm wondering if somehow BMT Web (or Jetty as a whole) is still using the LocalSystem account?

Does BMT have its own service or exe that I could run with different permissions? I tried looking through the Services list and the Startup programs, but didn't see anything that looked related.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've got Sage running as a service, but configured it to log in under a user account with network privileges instead of "LocalSystem." Since it has no problems with UNC paths when using the SageTV interface, I'm wondering if somehow BMT Web (or Jetty as a whole) is still using the LocalSystem account?

Does BMT have its own service or exe that I could run with different permissions? I tried looking through the Services list and the Startup programs, but didn't see anything that looked related.
BMT/Jetty runs in the same process as the SageTV account, so it should run as the user that you specified.