SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
That is exactly the reason I wrote this. SageDCT was giving me random pixelation and sound pops. I would guess your problem is either network related, or SageDCT.
Out of curiosity, were you getting the pixelation problems when using the SageDCT Dump mode or FFMPEG mode?

I ask because I am running one of the older (non-donator) versions of SageDCT, using the equivalent of "dump" mode. So SageDCT shouldn't be doing any transcoding, just streaming to a file. I occasionally get pixelation and/or audio pops. I assumed it was either due to bad signal from Comcast, network issues, or issues writing to hard disk (some bottleneck in my PC). But, if the network encoder could be at fault, this would be interesting.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-26-2015, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

OTA Findings. The older tuners are erratiic and do not work all the time. The HDHomeRun CONNECT (formerly known as HDHomeRun DUALs) work great and transcode on the fly works too.

cable
The Primes work great.

My Setup right now is using the Networkencoder for The prime and HDHomeRun CONNECT (formerly known as HDHomeRun DUAL) (OTA)

So i am very pleased the only things missing are resizing and hardware transcoding.

Great Job jvl711 thank you.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Out of curiosity, were you getting the pixelation problems when using the SageDCT Dump mode or FFMPEG mode?

I ask because I am running one of the older (non-donator) versions of SageDCT, using the equivalent of "dump" mode. So SageDCT shouldn't be doing any transcoding, just streaming to a file. I occasionally get pixelation and/or audio pops. I assumed it was either due to bad signal from Comcast, network issues, or issues writing to hard disk (some bottleneck in my PC). But, if the network encoder could be at fault, this would be interesting.
I can chime in my case there was Pixelation in some channels using outdated FFMPEG in SAGEDCT ... Dump did not work on all my channels as sometimes Sage could not playback the recordings unless I remuxed them. With this encoder everything works including transcoding on the fly.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post

I was using the donator version with ffmpeg. I could not get dump to work reliably with all channels. I initially also thought my issue was network related, because I had to run SageDCT on another computer since my Sage Server was Windows 2003. I would have had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get SageDCT working locally since it does not support upnp officially.

When the news that Sage was going OSS for some reason it sparked something inside of me to stop being lazy and try and make HDHomeRunPrime work on Windows 2003. I was a little surprised when I was testing and I found that no matter how many streams I was viewing/recording, or which machine I was running my code from I could not get pixelation or sound pops. I think there are a few of the beta testers that might back up this assertion.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
OTA Findings. The older tuners are erratiic and do not work all the time. The HDHomeRun CONNECT (formerly known as HDHomeRun DUALs) work great and transcode on the fly works too.

cable
The Primes work great.

My Setup right now is using the Networkencoder for The prime and HDHomeRun CONNECT (formerly known as HDHomeRun DUAL) (OTA)

So i am very pleased the only things missing are resizing and hardware transcoding.

Great Job jvl711 thank you.
Thank you nyplayer!

Since you had the thought to test this network encoder with other tuners and discovered that it works with more than the PRIME. I think it might make sense to rename the encoder before I release it.

Do you have an idea for an appropriate name? Somehthing that would let users know it is for HDHomeRun devices, and it has the ability to transcode in realtime?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you know pretty much immediately if it's going to work or not?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you know pretty much immediately if it's going to work or not?
Yes for OTA you have to remap the physical channel to the channel in the Guide column of the HD Homerun setup software... No need to do a scan just set the tuner the way you would any other tuner... enable only channels in HD homerun setup and remap.

Attached is a screenshot of my OTA tuner encoding on the fly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg otaencoding.jpg (104.4 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-26-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 PM
SageTVaholic

I mean, I thought you said the older tuners were erratic, I was wondering if you can tell right away, or if it only showed up "eventually".
Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I mean, I thought you said the older tuners were erratic, I was wondering if you can tell right away, or if it only showed up "eventually".
It was just not worth the headache for me sometimes the channel would change other times you got no signal. Unless the mappings are different but I get no signal it does not tune.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-26-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

i'm interested in this once you have something ready for "prime time." I've had issues with DCT giving me a "bad" file sometimes (blank screen/no signal error) that 9/10 times corrects itself when I tell Sage to run a convert on the file; so the transcoder app can handle it to convert it, but not to play it back in realtime.
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've had a few interesting things happening lately. I don't think it's related to the new encoder but am hoping I can't get some ideas on how to test from this group.

Overall, it has been working great. I'm using the latest version and I turned transcoding back off. Last night watching NCAA basketball time shifted I ran into some problems. We were almost caught up to real time and the video started freezing. Stopped then restarted viewing from the guide. Could not get it to go. Cancelled recording and tried to watch live. Still no go. Went to the recording directory on the server and there were multiple recorded files. Looked for the game in Sage to delete but it was not there. Deleted the files through windows explorer, went back to the guide and started watching the game and everything worked great from there.

This happened right about the top of the hour. I need to check but there may have been another recording starting at that time. This is a VM and I'm sure there are things that are impacting the recording. Any ideas on what I might be able to check? I did eventually get a halt was detected message but only one.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 AM
SageTVaholic

I did a quick writeup on setting up OTA Dlna tuners. Expect Typos. I hope the pictures showup

This is assuming you followed the procedure to install the NetworkEncoder.

Attached you will also find my 7 tuner setup.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Setup of DLNA OTA Tuners.doc (526.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: zip PrimeNetEncoder.zip (1.9 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-28-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Okay have been running it on the main server for about five days now works very well no bad recordings so far. The one thing that I have gotten several times was a halt in the recording. It's always with in the first minute and is about 10 to 15 seconds lost, then it records the rest of the show great. Is anyone else having this problem? I may try a clean install of sage and see if it clears it up. Just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this problem.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
Okay have been running it on the main server for about five days now works very well no bad recordings so far. The one thing that I have gotten several times was a halt in the recording. It's always with in the first minute and is about 10 to 15 seconds lost, then it records the rest of the show great. Is anyone else having this problem? I may try a clean install of sage and see if it clears it up. Just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this problem.
Out of curiosity are you running the firewall.. I had those when I had the firewall of but since I upgraded to version 3 and have the firewall on I do not get that anymore. I did not open the ports I just setup the programs to have full access. for example FFMPEG I gave it full access. I believe the firewall keeps other programs from trying to use the encoder ports unless you allow them.

PS Also Version 3 stops the tuners properly.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-29-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

No the firewall is turned off right now I will upgrade to version 3 from version 2, but I thought the only real change in three was the on fly conversion to mp4 ts files?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
No the firewall is turned off right now I will upgrade to version 3 from version 2, but I thought the only real change in three was the on fly conversion to mp4 ts files?
PS you are right I have Beta tested so many scenarios I got them mixed up.

If you have version 2 maybe you should turn the firewall back on.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-29-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Thank you nyplayer!

Since you had the thought to test this network encoder with other tuners and discovered that it works with more than the PRIME. I think it might make sense to rename the encoder before I release it.

Do you have an idea for an appropriate name? Somehthing that would let users know it is for HDHomeRun devices, and it has the ability to transcode in realtime?
I'd love to try it too, as my current SageDCT setup is anything but reliable.

thx
Mike
Old 03-30-2015, 12:48 PM
SageTVaholic

jvl711,

Is it possible to lock the tuners so no other application can take use away. See this post.
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6710

Also.

Tuner selection:
Start: use hdhomerun_device_selector_choose_and_lock() to find and lock an available tuner.
Stop: use hdhomerun_device_tuner_lockkey_release() to release the lock when the tuner is no
longer required.
Channel change: there are two options for handling the resource lock when changing channel:
1) Release the resource lock by calling hdhomerun_device_tuner_lockkey_release(), then call
hdhomerun_device_selector_choose_and_lock() to find and lock an available tuner.
2) Refresh the existing lock by calling hdhomerun_device_tuner_lockkey_request(). If the
application still holds the resource lock the request function will return success (1). If the lock has
been lost at some point but the tuner is available the request function will reacquire the lock and
return success (1). If the lock as been lost at some point and the tuner is now locked by another
host the request function will return busy (0). In this situation the application should call
hdhomerun_device_tuner_lockkey_release() to release the local lock state and call
hdhomerun_device_selector_choose_and_lock() to find another tuner.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-30-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
jvl711,

Is it possible to lock the tuners so no other application can take use away. See this post.
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6710

Also.

Tuner selection:
Start: use hdhomerun_device_selector_choose_and_lock() to find and lock an available tuner.
Stop: use hdhomerun_device_tuner_lockkey_release() to release the lock when the tuner is no
longer required.
Channel change: there are two options for handling the resource lock when changing channel:
1) Release the resource lock by calling hdhomerun_device_tuner_lockkey_release(), then call
hdhomerun_device_selector_choose_and_lock() to find and lock an available tuner.
2) Refresh the existing lock by calling hdhomerun_device_tuner_lockkey_request(). If the
application still holds the resource lock the request function will return success (1). If the lock has
been lost at some point but the tuner is available the request function will reacquire the lock and
return success (1). If the lock as been lost at some point and the tuner is now locked by another
host the request function will return busy (0). In this situation the application should call
hdhomerun_device_tuner_lockkey_release() to release the local lock state and call
hdhomerun_device_selector_choose_and_lock() to find another tuner.
The resource lock clears after the tuner has been left inactive for a while, so it's not a method of restricting some other device on the network from grabbing an available tuner while sage ISN'T recording. Only way around this would be for the network encoder to periodically unlock and relock the tuner ever xxx seconds.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-31-2015, 04:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The resource lock clears after the tuner has been left inactive for a while, so it's not a method of restricting some other device on the network from grabbing an available tuner while sage ISN'T recording. Only way around this would be for the network encoder to periodically unlock and relock the tuner ever xxx seconds.
I only want to lock it while it is recording ... not when it is not in use. I did some testing and was able to grab the tuner while it was recording and it Interrupted the recording... Under no circumstances do I want a lock on it if not in use.

If a tuner is not locked while recording any person on the network using DLNA can steal that tuner and lock it.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-31-2015 at 05:02 PM.