SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Yes! Great point. You can easily upgrade from SageTV 7 to the open source version by doing just 2 things.

1. Replace the Sage.jar with the one built from the OS code
2. Put the lucene-core-3.6.0.jar file in your JARs folder

You can download the lucene file from here:

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...core-3.6.0.jar

And then click on the RAW button to get it to actually download the file for you.
But is there a new STV file that makes use of any of the new stuff?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
But is there a new STV file that makes use of any of the new stuff?
Most of the stuff in there which would relate to the UI (more imagery, actor details, etc.) is stuff that was on the Google Fiber EPG server...and is not on the SageTV EPG Server..so you won't be able to make much use of it unless someone can create another EPG plugin that can get that kind of data (I'm not sure exactly how, but I figured I'd leave it in there just in case). So there's no newer STV since there wasn't really much other functionality to expose.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage User

Did I read somewhere that v8 ran each extender in its own jvm? I recall something mentioned but I could easily have misunderstood. If they do run in their own jvm is this available in v9 ? Would address a lot of contiguous mem problems when running multiple HD300s concurrently.
HD-HOMERUN CONNECT(2xDVB-T2)x2,
1 HD-PVR2 (Gaming Edition)/SKY HD,
QNAP NAS
Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Most of the stuff in there which would relate to the UI (more imagery, actor details, etc.) is stuff that was on the Google Fiber EPG server...and is not on the SageTV EPG Server..so you won't be able to make much use of it unless someone can create another EPG plugin that can get that kind of data (I'm not sure exactly how, but I figured I'd leave it in there just in case). So there's no newer STV since there wasn't really much other functionality to expose.
That's too bad. I think a lot of people were hoping for something new (I know a few people have posted screen shots of the Google Fiber TV ("Sage 8") with new guide layout, new color scheme, etc.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-12-2015, 09:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Gare View Post
Did I read somewhere that v8 ran each extender in its own jvm? I recall something mentioned but I could easily have misunderstood. If they do run in their own jvm is this available in v9 ? Would address a lot of contiguous mem problems when running multiple HD300s concurrently.
See Jeff's response here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62321
Old 08-13-2015, 05:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

I know this is a very hackish suggestion, but...

Quote:
The ffmpeg/mplayer versions in SageTV have a fair amount of modifications done to them. It's not really a trivial task to upgrade them...some of the changes were bug fixes, some feature adds for metadata output or placeshifting rate control, and some of other various features (like optimizing thumbnail selection).

It would be great to get it back up to speed with the current versions of each...but that is going to be a lot of work for someone with lots of potential for breakage relating to SageTV (it does expect specific formatting of data when using ffmpeg to parse non-mpeg media files or extract their metadata).
As a workaround would it be possible to use both versions - the original variant for placeshifting/metadata scraping and the new version for playback?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

You know, looking through the changelog and comparing it to the ffmpeg git, it appears the current sagetv branch of ffmpeg was forked off after the Jan 21, 2008 commit. Should provide a good basis for diff'ing out the changes that were made. It appears that the most major changes were to accept commands via stdin to change the bitrate during the encoding (used for placeshifter's dynamic rate control) and to dump metadata to stderr.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yes! Great point. You can easily upgrade from SageTV 7 to the open source version by doing just 2 things.

1. Replace the Sage.jar with the one built from the OS code
2. Put the lucene-core-3.6.0.jar file in your JARs folder
After replacing these two files, will Sage still be able to pull data from the epg server? I have a V7 licensed installation.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You know, looking through the changelog and comparing it to the ffmpeg git, it appears the current sagetv branch of ffmpeg was forked off after the Jan 21, 2008 commit. Should provide a good basis for diff'ing out the changes that were made. It appears that the most major changes were to accept commands via stdin to change the bitrate during the encoding (used for placeshifter's dynamic rate control) and to dump metadata to stderr.
Where I was going with this... when I started the discussion was really to see if we couldn't create a .patch of the differences and then store the patch file. Then we could try upgrading to a new ffmpeg and apply the patch during the build process so that we are always using a vanilla ffmpeg stream, that we patch. The problem of course, is without knowing the very specific build that was used for sagetv, then creating that initial patch will be hard
Old 08-13-2015, 07:11 AM
SageTVaholic

You should be able to git that date in ffmpeg source, copy over the sage modified source, and it should detect the changes sage made, correct?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdippel View Post
After replacing these two files, will Sage still be able to pull data from the epg server? I have a V7 licensed installation.
Think jm9843 summarized what is needed here from several different posts that Narflex made: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=177
Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You should be able to git that date in ffmpeg source, copy over the sage modified source, and it should detect the changes sage made, correct?
Ideally, yeah. After doing that, you can then run

git status

and see what is modified/added as a result, and then build a patch (requires more steps for that).

But once you have the patch, then you can use git to apply the patch to new version and see what happens
Old 08-13-2015, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

There have been a LOT of changes since 2008...

Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There have been a LOT of changes since 2008...
Yeah, but initially we are only concerned about the diff/patch from 2008 and that state of the files in SageTV... i would think that would be a much smaller diff.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Yeah, but initially we are only concerned about the diff/patch from 2008 and that state of the files in SageTV... i would think that would be a much smaller diff.
Oh of course, it's not very big at all. I was more stating that the likely hood of said patch working on a current build is probably pretty slim.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Oh of course, it's not very big at all. I was more stating that the likely hood of said patch working on a current build is probably pretty slim.
I agree. It would get nice if it did just work, and git is exceptionally good at patching.

But if it doesn't then I'd to find a release where the patch is valid (or requires minimal effort) and then create a new patch from that release and try to move it forward. This is all very tedious work

Once it is fully patched from the HEAD, I think keeping ffmpeg in sync should be fairly easily...just keep taking recent ffmpeg release, and and patch it (creating a new patch if necessary).
Old 08-13-2015, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

i did find an account online recently of someone adding on on-the-fly bitrate changes to ffmpeg for x264 - said it was only a few lines of code (he's listening to a UDP port to get the changes, while sage writes the changes to stdin) - so at least that part shouldn't be that difficult.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...g-on-bandwidth

Old 08-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Sage

If someone does the whole ffmpeg update...it's probably a good idea to go to the multithreaded version as well (I max out a core on my server at home if I try to placeshifter HDPVR content )