SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

A VMWare Appliance geared for free VMWare ESXi to me would be a good way to go... People could run it on VMWare Player if they insist on windows.

Last I tried the HDPVR on linux though (admittedly a while ago) it was super buggy. HDHomeruns were always very solid...

Pi frontend would RULE.

Tom
Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Last I tried the HDPVR on linux though (admittedly a while ago) it was super buggy.
I run 2 HDPVRs, on Linux, and they both get used daily... I've never noticed any lag (or other issues) except for the power supply issue.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
A pi would likely make a good enough client for most uses.. I don't think I'd ever consider it for a server. For me, one of the major advantages of using a PC DVR in the first place is the ability to do with my media as I please, including streaming it elsewhere. A Pi wouldn't have anywhere close to the power required to do the transcoding necessary to do that.
For those who have no interest in streaming outside of their home, it could work fine. The bigger issue is "why"? By the time you start talking about adding a hard drive or two, you're nearly to the point of talking about a full blown NAS. In which case a SageTV Docker is much more interesting. unRAID and Synology both support Docker.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Last I tried the HDPVR on linux though (admittedly a while ago) it was super buggy. HDHomeruns were always very solid...

Pi frontend would RULE.
I have a Ubuntu-based Sage server with an HD-PVR connected and it's rock solid. Linux systems have supported the device in the kernel for several years now. I have even performed HD-PVR captures on a Pi using desktop Raspbian ...
Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
I have a Ubuntu-based Sage server with an HD-PVR connected and it's rock solid. Linux systems have supported the device in the kernel for several years now. I have even performed HD-PVR captures on a Pi using desktop Raspbian ...
I believe this kernel level support is limited to the original HD-PVR (1212), correct? The HD-PVR2 driver is available as source code from hauppauge, but unsupported, as far as I know.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
A VMWare Appliance geared for free VMWare ESXi to me would be a good way to go... People could run it on VMWare Player if they insist on windows.

Pi frontend would RULE.

Tom
The new unraid software comes with kvm (virtual machine capabilities) built in. I have Windows 2008 server VMs on both my unraid server and was thinking about adding sagetv to one of them.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 08-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Sage Expert

With Verizon FIOS, I've been using HD Prime with one cable card, need to order a second cable card for a second HD Prime. I also use an HDHR with FIOS for DC stations and 2 HDHRs for Baltimore over the air. I am resetting up Hauppauge HD PVR for 1 cable box to get the cable fox stations, and then HBO and Cinemax. The cable fox stations is recent and while throwing me for a loop, not that big of deal. I would recommend getting the server reset back up for version 7 and at some point in the future, we will be able to move over to the open source version 9.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I believe this kernel level support is limited to the original HD-PVR (1212), correct?
That is correct.