SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzim View Post
Have you tried the latest beta 003 installer or are you running the 001 installer which came out a month ago? I have HD Home Run tuners also using the 001 installer. The 003 installer did not work for me and I experienced capture failure and was unable to perform a success full channel scan. The scan would run but no channels found.
Any chance you can run the failing scan with debug enabled and post the server log?

I would like to ensure this one is resolved before the next release.

I will also try to recreate this as I also use HDHR dual tuners.

k
Old 02-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Sage User

Unfortunately, I have just left for extended trip and had to leave the system in a working state before departure; so it may be some time before I am able to perform that. The beta 001 has been working flawlessly.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have just left for extended trip and had to leave the system in a working state before departure; so it may be some time before I am able to perform that. The beta 001 has been working flawlessly.
beta 1 contains ALL files from v7 regardless if validated as needed or distributable by v9 open source. That why it works but somehow i need to determine what i removed the the HDHR needs to resolve this issue.

I will see if i can recreate what you saw.

Can you advise if the capture issue was during the scan or after the scan. Did the scan find anything or were the channels found just not viewable.

thanks
k
Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Sage User

No channels were found during the scan, and the listed valid channels were not viewable.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

It's really great to see that SageTV is continuing development with help of a bunch of dedicated open source Sage die-hards. I am still using V6.* but it's not broken so why fix it? I just got my HDHomeun Prime tuners working with Sage via OpenDCT which is working great. All is good again.

I've been a Sage user for many years and plan on continuing with it since there just isn't anything better. Eventually I plan on upgrading to V9. I am curious. Are there any desktop clients available for v9? Sounds like there is an Android app available which is great news.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post
I am still using V6.* but it's not broken so why fix it?s.
I think there are two camps on this.

The alternative is "If it isn't broken then you are not trying hard enough"

V7 was a HUGE improvement over V6, especially if you use Plugins. So far there isn't much in terms of functionality enhancements in V9 so it looks and feels like V7. For me the big benefit will be moving to 64 bit Java which will allow running far more extenders simultaneously.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I am curious. Are there any desktop clients available for v9? Sounds like there is an Android app available which is great news.
Absolutely. Checkout the Open Source Development threads and you will see installers available (beta for now but close) for Server/Client and Placeshifter for V9.

k
Old 02-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I think there are two camps on this.

The alternative is "If it isn't broken then you are not trying hard enough"

V7 was a HUGE improvement over V6, especially if you use Plugins. So far there isn't much in terms of functionality enhancements in V9 so it looks and feels like V7. For me the big benefit will be moving to 64 bit Java which will allow running far more extenders simultaneously.
If i break it, my life would be on hold until it's fixed
I don't use plugins so I haven't been in a hurry to switch although I may start testing it on another computer soon to get a feel for V9 now that it appears to be stable.

Basically SageTV has been rock solid for me for years - a real testament to good coding by the developers. The only issue my wife has been having lately is with the remotes that must be wearing out as the button presses don't work like they used to. There isn't any easy access into them to clean them out, either.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Sage Icon

So... if I wanted to try to install v9 over an existing v7 installation (reconfiguring everything tweaked over 9 years is not something I'd relish doing), would people recommend using the installer or just copying files over manually?

And since I also still have a network encoder out there, would it also have to be upgraded to v9? I'd guess not??
Old 02-06-2016, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No channels were found during the scan, and the listed valid channels were not viewable.
Hopefully when you are back you can assist in troubleshooting this as i cannot even get v7 to find my hdhr on a test vm. I only have the single hdhr and use it daily from my Linux server and it works well but v7 and v9 on my test vm show no tuners found....odd, but i cant risk playing around too much with the hdhr as its working great for my prod system.

k
Old 02-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Using SageTV3 STV with V9

I've been testing the new release of SageTV V9 and so far it works great. I installed it clean on a different computer and can schedule, record, etc. using a HDHomerun prime tuner via OpenDCT.

Because I have a mix of SD and HD TV, I am still using SageTV V6 because
the GUI has larger fonts that are easier to see on a SD TV. However, I just tried using the SageTV3 STV on V9 and it works to my amazement.

There's only one feature I miss using this STV on V9 and that's the disk space display on the menu screen. There isn't any option in the setup using the TV3 STV to enable Malore features or to configure the Disk Space display. Am I out of luck? I am looking forward to upgrading to V9 soon but want to make sure the transition is easy with my wife.

Also, what is the best way to upgrade from V6? I'd like to do a fresh install to clean out all the legacy junk that's accumulated over the years while using V6, but I also want to keep all the references to the TV shows that have already been recorded. I don't mind setting up up favorites or adding my tuners back again. I don't expect to use many plugins with V9 except the Web UI features.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've been testing the new release of SageTV V9 and so far it works great. I installed it clean on a different computer and can schedule, record, etc. using a HDHomerun prime tuner via OpenDCT.

the GUI has larger fonts that are easier to see on a SD TV. However, I just tried using the SageTV3 STV on V9 and it works to my amazement.

There's only one feature I miss using this STV on V9 and that's the disk space display on the menu screen. There isn't any option in the setup using the TV3 STV to enable Malore features or to configure the Disk Space display. Am I out of luck? I am looking forward to upgrading to V9 soon but want to make sure the transition is easy with my wife.

Also, what is the best way to upgrade from V6? I'd like to do a fresh install to clean out all the legacy junk that's accumulated over the years while using V6, but I also want to keep all the references to the TV shows that have already been recorded. I don't mind setting up up favorites or adding my tuners back again. I don't expect to use many plugins with V9 except the Web UI features.
If it's only the font size you are looking for, you might want to give Gemstone a try. It is based on the v7(v9) stv, but is very customizable. You can alter the number of items on the screen and such to make them display larger.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Something to know about the V9 installer is that is does NOT install the STV3 folder and therefore if you upgrade a V7 system to V9 the STV3 STV will not be available. Hopefully someone creates a STV3 plugin for V9 for those wanting to continue with STV3 but in the mean time if you want to continue to use it please ensure you copy that folder in the STV folder to another location before the upgrade and then copy it back.

k
Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

I did copy the folder from my V6 installation.

I also tried Gemstone but it's so confusing to setup that i want to go back to the STV7 theme. But now i'm stuck in the Gemstone UI and none of the menu items are active so i can't get back to setup to replace the STV. Help.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I did copy the folder from my V6 installation.

I also tried Gemstone but it's so confusing to setup that i want to go back to the STV7 theme. But now i'm stuck in the Gemstone UI and none of the menu items are active so i can't get back to setup to replace the STV. Help.
That's no fun. Try pressing Options button (ESC on a keyboard) and go into menu manager. In their press Options again and I think the option you want is reset to default menu (or something similar).

Hope that resolves it for you.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Sage User

Worked really well - eventually

I tried an in-situ upgrade of my V7 Sage using the installer. Its been through numerous hacks, installs and upgrades since v6, including various capture cards, network encoders and plug ins. I was too scared to try a fresh install. The server has gone from XP, through Vista, Win 7 and now Win 10 64 bit.

Unfortunately the upgrade didn't work. Sage kept hanging on startup and some corrupt wiz.bin files appeared in the install directory.

I stuffed up the backup so reluctantly had to do a fresh install in a new directory.

It worked great. I had a couple of torments re-installing the DVB decrypter plugin and also StephaneMs XMLTV importer (there are instructions on his website for a manual install.

For the first time ever on my box, seamless recordings work and it also seems a little quicker overall, too early to say if it is more stable.

Great job.

I would prefer to stick with Windows because I have a windows only DVB plugin and XMLTV grabber and other Windows apps running on the server such as security camera recording and backup software. It would be nice if someone did a 64bit build for the extra java heap. I dont care about the client side stuff because I only use extenders and the excellent new android mini client.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alland View Post
I tried an in-situ upgrade of my V7 Sage using the installer. Its been through numerous hacks, installs and upgrades since v6, including various capture cards, network encoders and plug ins. I was too scared to try a fresh install. The server has gone from XP, through Vista, Win 7 and now Win 10 64 bit.

Unfortunately the upgrade didn't work. Sage kept hanging on startup and some corrupt wiz.bin files appeared in the install directory.

I stuffed up the backup so reluctantly had to do a fresh install in a new directory.

It worked great. I had a couple of torments re-installing the DVB decrypter plugin and also StephaneMs XMLTV importer (there are instructions on his website for a manual install.

For the first time ever on my box, seamless recordings work and it also seems a little quicker overall, too early to say if it is more stable.

Great job.

I would prefer to stick with Windows because I have a windows only DVB plugin and XMLTV grabber and other Windows apps running on the server such as security camera recording and backup software. It would be nice if someone did a 64bit build for the extra java heap. I dont care about the client side stuff because I only use extenders and the excellent new android mini client.
Allan how is the TBS 6985 working in win 10 wit sage 9. i have a TBS 6984 & 6985 would be good to know they work well.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Sage User

TBS Working great

James

TBS card is working great. Now running it on Windows 10 x64 but previously on 32bit Vista and Windows 7.

Seems much more consistent and reliable than the Hauppage cards I've had.

Allan
Old 08-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

I used the SageTVSetup_9.0.4.232_RC1.000 installer over a v7 server on a Windows 7 32-bit machine. Failed miserably with lots of things it couldn't register. Eventually realized that this was a very old Windows 7 install without SP1. After SP1, I tried installing again and success!

I also tried installing over a v7 client on a Windows 7 64-bit SP1 machine. Success, but some of old glitches I'd had with video playback on v7 came with it. I wiped all the files and re-installed. So far, so good, but I'm still getting all my settings back the way I had them. Still, it's good to be able to go from windowed to full screen and back without the video going black and the volume going to 100%. I've found a few video files that won't play with v9, but I'm not sure what a OGM file is anyway.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Sage User

My upgrade went very well. No issues.

Had v7 (w/V6 key) running on a Windows 10 64 bit workstation using SageDCT.

Stopped both SageDCT and SageTV, backed everything up, installed SageTVSetup_9.0.4.232_RC1.000.exe and rebooted.

SageTV service did not start auto-magically, but once I started the client everything I've tried so far works. (I've seen messages on the service startup issue, so I will go dig those up).

Why did I upgrade?
- Was getting the 15 day trial message on my mini-client devices and the wife was not happy.
- Had been getting the spinning circle a lot when trying to skip forward
- If I skipped forward too many times, the client (running on the server) would die with the message about too many threads. I'm hoping this version fixes that issue.

Thanks to the development team.

Purchased license in 2008. Still very happy with SageTV

Tags
hauppauge 2250, version 9 success stories, windows 10