SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
For IR I'm using a device called CommandIR. While the still have a website, it doesn't appear that they are actually in business, which is too bad, because CommadnIR is great device and very reliable. The unRAID image installs gentuner which is a commandline tuner... You still need to create the script for changing channels. Unfortunately, channel changing with IR is not an easy thing to setup on linux (from my experience). While sagetv has LIRC support, you'll need to find a device that works with LIRC and Linux. (not sure is usb-uirt has linux support).

The version of comskip is the version from the open source repo... not sure what version it is, but I built it from sources. This is also a "native" linux version and not a WINE/Windows version, sine Wine doesn't run well under 64bit unRAID setup.
So, I've converted over to unRaid and your template. I'm loving it. but I have to figure out tuning for my USB-UIRT using LIRC. Based on their page:http://www.lirc.org/html/table.html#usb, it appears USB-UIRT is supported at the bottom of the page. I'm willing to do testing and integration (although I'm not an unRaid/Docker expert at the moment - I do ok as a Linux admin). I didn't see a lot of the LIRC tools like irsend and ircmd, ircat, irw, lircmd, etc. I saw the template you created has the commandir and gentuner but not the lirc package. Do you think I could work to integrate USB-UIRT tuning into your template with LIRC?
Old 08-30-2016, 05:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibsy View Post
So, I've converted over to unRaid and your template. I'm loving it. but I have to figure out tuning for my USB-UIRT using LIRC. Based on their page:http://www.lirc.org/html/table.html#usb, it appears USB-UIRT is supported at the bottom of the page. I'm willing to do testing and integration (although I'm not an unRaid/Docker expert at the moment - I do ok as a Linux admin). I didn't see a lot of the LIRC tools like irsend and ircmd, ircat, irw, lircmd, etc. I saw the template you created has the commandir and gentuner but not the lirc package. Do you think I could work to integrate USB-UIRT tuning into your template with LIRC?
Absolutely. Missing lirc is more of an accidental omission. It should be there, just since I don't use it, I totally forgot about it.

I've added an issue for adding LIRC so that I don't forget... if you want to modify the docker file to support lirc and and then create a pull request you can do that as well.

Meanwhile, if you want to test lirc, you can get a bash shell into the running docker image by sshing into unRAID server and then running the following command

Code:
docker exec -ti sagetv-server /bin/bash
From there you are now in the running docker container, so you can install lirc, etc, and do some configuration for testing. YOu will lose those changes on a restart, but, it might be good to figure out what you need, etc.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Sage User

So I was tickled that I could use apt-get to pull packages and was able to get lirc installed (I installed some library files from ftdi that I don't think are necessary in the container). Start-up of the service via the script doesn't currently work, but manual seems to work. I can see the device and listen for data fine using the mode2 command (I haven't verified it is accurate). I have not had success in sending with irsend, but I'll work on it more tonight. I'm getting an error when attempting to send a code. Need to read more of the rather lengthy LIRC documentation instead of skimming it.

One other note that is likely to get boo's from some in the crowd. I consolidated all my storage into my Synology NAS and it worked great under Windows and my Intel NUC (which is running unRAID now). I would like to do the same thing with this unRAID server (all external media Music/Video/Photos as well as the live/recording directory would be only on the NAS). I know performance conscious folks just screamed out loud, but it worked very well for me. I would like to make this set-up work the same way. Any thoughts on how to do it in an automated way? I see a few barriers:

First, the unRAID user drive (I have one for the storage of the docker image and such) can not be unmounted if I put any shares to the filesystem upon startup of the O/S and this could require manual mounting and unmapping to be able to use the GUI to manage the drive and the unRAID system (shutdown/restart/etc.). The goal could be to map to the host O/S directories you map to within the docker since they are hard-coded in the SageTV configuration. This would make it transparent to the docker. I do not see how to map these as part of the docker start-up on the host O/S (outside the container).

Secondly, if I do the mapping in the docker image, I end up with your mappings and the additional mappings to the Synology. I'd want to have it all point to the Synology with no local storage. I'd need to figure out how to create the map automatically on start-up and shutdown of the image and remove your hard-coded settings for those other local directories. I thought maybe I could just browse using smb://mydrive.synology-nas.local/shares/sagetv/blah within the GUI, but the mappings within the GUI just get set to /tmp/can't remember/mydrive.synology-nas.local/shares/sagetv/blah inside the container, but it isn't actually mapped to anything (as it was in the standard server install on Windows).

Any thoughts? I know that I'm using unRAID and should build my array using it, but I didn't (it is running on a little but powerful Intel NUC) and I really like the Synology (it also isn't powerful enough currently to run my SagetV Server). I also like the VM and Docker integration in unRAID as a turn-key solution.

Sorry for the long post. I'll keep working on the LIRC stuff, it looks like a fairly robust tool for multiple uses with remote control applications. I would have bought a COMMANDIR in a heartbeat if it was still for sale since others have it working.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Doesn't Synology support Docker? Couldn't you run the Sage docker natively there?
Old 09-01-2016, 06:14 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Doesn't Synology support Docker? Couldn't you run the Sage docker natively there?
It was near the end of the post, but my synology doesn't have nearly enough memory or CPU to take on the Sage server role.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Unsure if anyone can help but I've learned one thing not to do in unRAID. I've been moving data from my NTFS formatted drives to the unRAID array. All of that went fine. Until this morning I thought I was trying to do something smart. I wanted to move files between drives and issued the command:
Code:
mv /mnt/disk1/media/sagetv/tv/* /mnt/user/media/sagetv/tv
I have media set up for "most free". I thought this would just move the files to the most free drive. Well, not only did it not do that but it also deleted all the files from disk1. I currently have my array stopped and am looking for options for data recovery. All I've found is a couple commercial options:

https://www.cnwrecovery.com/index.html

http://www.ufsexplorer.com/download.php

Just curious if anyone has any experience with XFS data recovery. Apparently file undeletion with XFS is not as straightforward as other file systems. Also, while I have lots of other storage available I don't have any empty drives I can use. Looking at about 536GB of recordings. I do at least have a list of the files lost.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, never move files between disk and user shares. I can't really help you with the recovery, but in the future look at the unbalance plugin, might be helpful.

One thought, do you have a cache drive enabled? If so, that move would have moved the file to the cache drive (I think), and it won't be moved off that until mover runs.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yeah, never move files between disk and user shares. I can't really help you with the recovery, but in the future look at the unbalance plugin, might be helpful.

One thought, do you have a cache drive enabled? If so, that move would have moved the file to the cache drive (I think), and it won't be moved off that until mover runs.
No, no cache drive.

I've found a couple more recovery utilities. A shady one that is apparently free and the cheapest one from Active@ for only $20.

Not what I want to be spending my money on but I guess it could be worse. The recordings are something that could be sacrificed. I would spend $20 if I could recover most of it. What was lost represents probably a little more than 1/4 of our recordings.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
No, no cache drive.

I've found a couple more recovery utilities. A shady one that is apparently free and the cheapest one from Active@ for only $20.

Not what I want to be spending my money on but I guess it could be worse. The recordings are something that could be sacrificed. I would spend $20 if I could recover most of it. What was lost represents probably a little more than 1/4 of our recordings.
Have you looked at SystemRecueCD and others
https://www.linux.com/learn/get-your...recovery-tools

That is very unfortunate, and I'm glad you shared, because, this is tricky situation... I almost wish unRAID would prevent it, but, I can see why it doesn't.

/mnt/user/ area are virtual shares that under the hood simply map to one or more /mnt/disk#/ paths.

So moving something from /mnt/disk#/ to /mnt/user/ (or vice versa) is really just moving something from itself to itself And the last operation of a move is to remove the other file, and it the other file is itself, it deleted it.

Rule of thumb is never manually move/copy data between /mnt/user/ and /mnt/disk#/
Old 09-01-2016, 11:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Have you looked at SystemRecueCD and others
https://www.linux.com/learn/get-your...recovery-tools

That is very unfortunate, and I'm glad you shared, because, this is tricky situation... I almost wish unRAID would prevent it, but, I can see why it doesn't.

/mnt/user/ area are virtual shares that under the hood simply map to one or more /mnt/disk#/ paths.

So moving something from /mnt/disk#/ to /mnt/user/ (or vice versa) is really just moving something from itself to itself And the last operation of a move is to remove the other file, and it the other file is itself, it deleted it.

Rule of thumb is never manually move/copy data between /mnt/user/ and /mnt/disk#/
SystemRescueCD with PhotoRec might work in a pinch but since it uses file shaping to recover files you lose the filename. Even though PhotoRec is free I would rather first try recovery that keeps the filename.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibsy View Post
Sorry for the long post. I'll keep working on the LIRC stuff, it looks like a fairly robust tool for multiple uses with remote control applications. I would have bought a COMMANDIR in a heartbeat if it was still for sale since others have it working.
Please do. I'd love to hear how the USB-UIRT works. The earlier reports from people having trouble with the USB-UIRT under Linux has made the Docker image a non-starter for me. My current unRAID server is seriously underpowered to double as a Sage server, but I've considered repurposing my seriously over-powered Windows Sage server or building a new box.

Honestly, I'd probably refer to keep them as separate boxes for a handful of reasons, but if I have to move to Linux to get to 64-bit then I'd likely decide to combine it with my unRAID box.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I was fairly lucky. After trying several recovery programs I settled on Raise Data Recovery. Between it and UFS Explorer it was able to recover more files. After discovering a bug in their program and contacting them they helped me out remotely this morning. I was able to recover approximately 60% of the files I lost.

Array is back up and I'm currently copying the files back over. Should have my unRAID SageTV back up by the end of the day. A little disappointed I couldn't recover more but it is what it is. Honestly, most of the stuff that was lost can be streamed, albeit at a lower quality.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Sage Expert

I need to backout the automatic updates that have occurred since I restarted the docker, I have a backup but how do I prevent it automatically upgrading again?
Old 09-12-2016, 02:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire View Post
I need to backout the automatic updates that have occurred since I restarted the docker, I have a backup but how do I prevent it automatically upgrading again?
In the sagetv/server/ directory there is a file, .SAGE_CUR_VERSION, that holds the currently installed version. If you edit this file and set the version to 9999.0.0.0 it will never update (at least not for a very long time).

Later if you do want to take an update, just delete the file, and it will pull down the latest version.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
In the sagetv/server/ directory there is a file, .SAGE_CUR_VERSION, that holds the currently installed version. If you edit this file and set the version to 9999.0.0.0 it will never update (at least not for a very long time).

Later if you do want to take an update, just delete the file, and it will pull down the latest version.
This is good to know!

I wonder if it would make sense to do add a VERSION variable to the Docker similar to the Plex Docker by Linuxserver.io.

This variable lets you set:
latest : will update plex to the latest version available that you are entitled to.
public : will update plexpass users to the latest public version
<specific version> : will select a specific version

Or if you leave the VERSION variable blank, then no updates will happen.
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/

By the way, the update to 9.0.7.362 seemed to go fine for me. I haven't noticed any issues.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 09-12-2016, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
This is good to know!

I wonder if it would make sense to do add a VERSION variable to the Docker similar to the Plex Docker by Linuxserver.io.

This variable lets you set:
latest : will update plex to the latest version available that you are entitled to.
public : will update plexpass users to the latest public version
<specific version> : will select a specific version

Or if you leave the VERSION variable blank, then no updates will happen.
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/

By the way, the update to 9.0.7.362 seemed to go fine for me. I haven't noticed any issues.
I think it's a good idea (I think it's been suggested before)... I just need to find time to actually do it
Old 09-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Sage Expert

Hmm, doesn't seem to work, it still upgraded after changing it!

Also tried 9.9.9.999
Old 09-12-2016, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think it's a good idea (I think it's been suggested before)... I just need to find time to actually do it
That was me! I can certainly empathize with you on available time.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 09-12-2016, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
That was me! I can certainly empathize with you on available time.
I've made the changes to the docker file to accept a VERSION environment that you can set to 'latest' or an action version #. I need to do a bunch of testing on this, but if it works, I'll push it out this week.
Closed Thread