SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
It's not random, but it might feel like it. It always runs again 24 hours after the last update finished. That means it moves a little forward with each run.
Gotcha, makes kinda sense. Not the way I would have coded a cronjob like event But I guess it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
You can make it so that it starts same time each day.
Need the sagetv web ui installed
Then Windows task scheduler to run a bat file
Bat file does a wget to the sagetv web ui with the command to force epg update
Not at home so can't give the exact command
Well thats an interesting way to go about it! Please do share if you find it. I take it, the web ui is the only 'api' like interface for sagetv services? No telnet, or custom command event listeners?

(you'd think after this many years exclusively using sagetv, I would know more about it )
Old 07-19-2017, 04:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Gotcha, makes kinda sense. Not the way I would have coded a cronjob like event But I guess it works.
These are just the timing mechanics SageTV has always used for EPG updates. I believe the idea was to not have them happen at the same time every day to ensure the EPG server load was more evenly spread out. I would imagine that's also why you can't just set a specific time to run daily.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 07-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Sage User

Well, apparently the whole JSON EPG thing just had to get rolling. I now have an EPG through 8/7. So, all can say is sorry for wasting your time.

FWIW, I wonder if the message that STV displays regarding SD lineups might be a bit ambiguous. At least one other person that I saw further back in this forum seemed to be confused as to the requirement to have/not to have the lineup specified on the SD website. In any case thanks for you assistance.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Girl View Post
Well, apparently the whole JSON EPG thing just had to get rolling. I now have an EPG through 8/7. So, all can say is sorry for wasting your time.

FWIW, I wonder if the message that STV displays regarding SD lineups might be a bit ambiguous. At least one other person that I saw further back in this forum seemed to be confused as to the requirement to have/not to have the lineup specified on the SD website. In any case thanks for you assistance.
I see what you're saying. I fear that making that more specific might just lead to more confusion because then it gets you thinking about things that aren't even on the screen in front of you and the more words, the less likely people will read the entire thing. It might be better to add a note about it in the wiki in the requirements section.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Sage Icon

Code:
C:\GnuWin32\bin\wget.exe "http://userid:password@sagewebserver:sagewebport/sage/GlobalCommand?command=ForceEpgUpdate"
Values to change/use
userid = userid for the sage web ui
password = password for the sage web ui
sagewebserver = ip or name of sage server
sagewebport = the port you have set for the web ui

just put the above in a bat file and have task scheduler execute it
Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I see what you're saying. I fear that making that more specific might just lead to more confusion because then it gets you thinking about things that aren't even on the screen in front of you and the more words, the less likely people will read the entire thing. It might be better to add a note about it in the wiki in the requirements section.
I just updated it so that it's hopefully clear what I'm talking about now in the wiki. I forgot that there was a note in the wiki about this, but maybe it wasn't clear enough about what it was talking about.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Sage Icon

It wouldn't hurt to add a note to be patient for guide data and favorite scheduling after starting fresh setups. Many have taken several hours to fully populate the guide and get past the "next update in 0" message.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
It wouldn't hurt to add a note to be patient for guide data and favorite scheduling after starting fresh setups. Many have taken several hours to fully populate the guide and get past the "next update in 0" message.
I fully agree. Would save a lot of time pursuing non-issues.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcgreen View Post
I signed up for Schedules Direct and installed SageTVSetup_9.1.5.683.exe over the version 7 that I had been running. I updated my video sources with the Schedules Direct EPG lineup. I see that EPG data is showing now and my scheduled recordings look like they are scheduled.
I am now getting a system error that says "No EPG license key specified".
The message details say to go to Setup Video Sources > (select source) >EPG Lineup which will ask you for your license key.
So I do that but it doesn't ask for a license key. It just wants to do a channel scan.
How can I get this system message to go away?
You should be able to just delete the system message. If for some reason it comes back, it means that at least one of your sources is still configured to use the SageTV EPG provider, because that is the bit that needed a license key.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Sage User

No SD EPG option when setting up Tuner

I'm late to the party converting to SD EPG and I just deleted my V7 tuner configs and can't get past the EPG setup to re-add them.

I have two Silicone Dust tuners for antenna/broadcast reception. STV v9 doesn't offer me a STV setup option for SD EPG: only XMLTV, tvtv services, and Don't Use Program Guide. (See .jpg of EPG options.) I've read the EPG wiki, and believe I'm not dealing with a custom STV UI issue, (though not 100% positive). See Detailed Setup.jpg.

I registered for the 7-day trial at Schedules Direct, upgraded to v9.1.5.683 server on top of STV V7 on Windows 7 Home pretty much without a hitch.

Initially, I kept the two original STV V7 tuner configurations, but finally concluded from posts that I needed to delete both and re-add them as I'd tried everything else. As I mentioned, the tuner re-add fails because I can't get past EPG setup step, ie. still no SD EPG option presented.

I didn't find posts similar to my issue, but most folks are more experienced (I'm a long time STV user but configuration novice).

Things I've tried: 1) uninstalled all plug-ins; 2) Did multiple Repair installs of STV 5.683; 3) pulled out more hair, and I didn't have much to start with.

Now, I'm stuck without basic tuner functionality and my wife is not happy. Thanks in advance for any handholding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No SD EPG 1.jpg (97.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Detailed Setup.jpg (79.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bott3322 View Post
I'm late to the party converting to SD EPG and I just deleted my V7 tuner configs and can't get past the EPG setup to re-add them.

I have two Silicone Dust tuners for antenna/broadcast reception. STV v9 doesn't offer me a STV setup option for SD EPG: only XMLTV, tvtv services, and Don't Use Program Guide. (See .jpg of EPG options.) I've read the EPG wiki, and believe I'm not dealing with a custom STV UI issue, (though not 100% positive). See Detailed Setup.jpg.

I registered for the 7-day trial at Schedules Direct, upgraded to v9.1.5.683 server on top of STV V7 on Windows 7 Home pretty much without a hitch.

Initially, I kept the two original STV V7 tuner configurations, but finally concluded from posts that I needed to delete both and re-add them as I'd tried everything else. As I mentioned, the tuner re-add fails because I can't get past EPG setup step, ie. still no SD EPG option presented.

I didn't find posts similar to my issue, but most folks are more experienced (I'm a long time STV user but configuration novice).

Things I've tried: 1) uninstalled all plug-ins; 2) Did multiple Repair installs of STV 5.683; 3) pulled out more hair, and I didn't have much to start with.

Now, I'm stuck without basic tuner functionality and my wife is not happy. Thanks in advance for any handholding!
Did you try selecting the first choice ("Use US, Canada,...")? I can't remember for sure, but I think you pick that one and then the next screen gives you the choice to use Schedules Direct.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Did you try selecting the first choice ("Use US, Canada,...")? I can't remember for sure, but I think you pick that one and then the next screen gives you the choice to use Schedules Direct.
No, the wiki shows a SD option below the US, Canada,... one.

Your setup screen looks nothing like mine. In fact it looks like maybe an older one or something. Mine doesn't have the revision or check or update. Plus debug logging was forced ON in V9. Are you sure your upgrade went OK?

The Windows installer will not automatically find the old install and assumes a path unless you change it using the options button on the first screen.

What shows up in the System Information screen for version? Mine shows V9.1.2.262 and the STV says 2017052101. Yours is definitely not V9.

Last edited by wnjj; 07-19-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 PM
Sage User

As far as I know, the v9 upgrade went ok, as did the Repair installs.

I confirmed the correct path via Options during install. V9 files installed to the original v7 SageTV location: C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV, and all the folders have today's time stamp.

System Info shows the new .683 build info. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg System Info.jpg (142.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

For whatever reason, you do not have the current SageTV7.xml file. Current one should be from after November 2016 I think. The install and especially the subsequent repair should have brought that up to date for you.

Check the STV= entry in sageclient.properties

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-20-2017, 12:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
For whatever reason, you do not have the current SageTV7.xml file. Current one should be from after November 2016 I think. The install and especially the subsequent repair should have brought that up to date for you.

Check the STV= entry in sageclient.properties
Mine is from May of 2017.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I 2nd this. I completed my upgrade from V7 to V9 and setup with SD. Everything acted liked it went smoothly until I went to the Guide and still had NO DATA. Even after waiting a bit and seeing that in the Information section it indicated the guide data was pulled it was still indicating NO DATA in the guide. I got frusted and gave up. Well, when I decided to look at it again (don't remember exactly how long it was but it was probably an hour or so) I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had like 60gb of shows recording in the next 48 hours and had guide data. WOOHOO!

I'd also like to say THANKS for putting this all together. I've used SageTV for for probably around a decade now and the program itself and the people who contribute to it make it one of my best ever software purchased... and now it's even FREE! haha!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:41 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Mine is from May of 2017.
SageClient.properties: STV=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\SageTV\\SageTV\\STVs\\SageTV7\\SageTV7.xml

The SageTV7.xml file has a 7/16/2017 time stamp, 13,226 KB.
There is also in this path the file: SageTV7.xml.2012031001 with the same 7/16 time stamp, 12,979 KB, along with three similar earlier files.

Apologies for delayed responses going forward. I'm on travel and won't be available for much of today.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Sage User

Quote:
These are just the timing mechanics SageTV has always used for EPG updates. I believe the idea was to not have them happen at the same time every day to ensure the EPG server load was more evenly spread out. I would imagine that's also why you can't just set a specific time to run daily.
I never did pay much attention to it on my old htpc... it just sorta did what it did for years because I actually left it running 24/7 (because sleep and XP on that htpc never mixed well lol). It only came to my attention now due to the new htpc can handle sleep very well.

Its funny you mention the server load spread. We (where I work) have an external app that phones home for a small data file once a day at the exact same time that app was 'installed' (cannot be changed). Since its very rare the worldwide users all install at the same time, that was enough to spread the load. But its an interesting idea to have it update its check time based on 'end of last grab'.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
SageClient.properties: STV=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\SageTV\\SageTV\\STVs\\SageTV7\\SageTV7.xml

The SageTV7.xml file has a 7/16/2017 time stamp, 13,226 KB.
There is also in this path the file: SageTV7.xml.2012031001 with the same 7/16 time stamp, 12,979 KB, along with three similar earlier files.

Apologies for delayed responses going forward. I'm on travel and won't be available for much of today.
The current one is here if you want to compare and/or replace yours. Not sure why you still have what looks to be an old one.
https://github.com/google/sagetv/tre...r/stvs/SageTV7
Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage User

Quote:
The current one is here if you want to compare and/or replace yours. Not sure why you still have what looks to be an old one.
https://github.com/google/sagetv/tre...r/stvs/SageTV7
Thanks wnjj. I wouldn't mind giving that a try just to see. This install issue has me spooked, and I'm concerned what else is screwed up, how badly, and why. I'm on travel, so hopefully I can remote in this evening.