SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Did you try selecting the first choice ("Use US, Canada,...")? I can't remember for sure, but I think you pick that one and then the next screen gives you the choice to use Schedules Direct.
Yes, I sure did. It was pre-populated with my zip code from STV V7 and the screen following it resulted in a dead end. it gave no options for SD EPG.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Sage Expert

Running into a bit of a strange issue. Running a new SageTV for the last week (Windows 10, latest Java).

Two times this week the EPG has failed to update on it's own. I can force an update by going to the webserver and hitting "[Force EPG update]", but it doesn't want to run on it's own.

Today's EPG update was scheduled to occur at 4:50pm according to the webserver. The server was in sleep mode at that time, and it came back online at 5:50pm. Normally, it would start an EPG update right away when the server came out of sleep. It didn't though. I checked the webserver at just after 7pm, and it said the last EPG update was yesterday at 4:50pm and the next update was in 0 minutes/hours (so It should be running right at that moment).

This is the same thing I noticed a couple of days ago. The webserver said the next update was in 0 minutes/hours, but it was saying that for a couple of hours.

I checked the SageTV log, and I couldn't find any record of SageTV actually trying to start an EPG update.

I've attached the log to this post. A few things I noticed in the log:

There appears to be an error right when the server comes out of sleep, not sure if it's related? It's at the timestamp Thu 7/20 17:50:15.697

This is when I manually initiated an EPG update on the webserver:

Quote:
Thu 7/20 19:17:00.221 [EPG@104fd2e] EPG attempting to expand Shaw Direct (Classic) - Satellite - Canada (West) (sdepg)
The EPG update took about 20 minutes which seems a bit on the long side. With Schedules Direct it has usually been about 10 minutes or less.

Finally, in the log once the EPG update is completed, it says "EPG needs an update in 112 minutes" which seems a bit odd. Why would the EPG need another update less that 2 hours after this one completed?

Any ideas why I'm having to force the EPG update?

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (377.8 KB, 198 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Finally, in the log once the EPG update is completed, it says "EPG needs an update in 112 minutes" which seems a bit odd. Why would the EPG need another update less that 2 hours after this one completed?

Any ideas why I'm having to force the EPG update?

Thanks.
Not sure on the forcing, but the 112 minutes is because it updates 24 hours after the last automatic one completed, regardless if you trigger a manual one.

When it said 0 minutes the evening before, it must have take until after 9pm to actually finish.

I think it's actually "working" but for unknown reasons is taking a long time and/or stalling.

Last edited by wnjj; 07-20-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Not sure on the forcing, but the 112 minutes is because it updates 24 hours after the last automatic one completed, regardless if you trigger a manual one.
I'm pretty sure the 24 hour timer gets reset if a manual update is triggered. It always has in the past.

Quote:
When it said 0 minutes the evening before, it must have take until after 9pm to actually finish.

I think it's actually "working" but for unknown reasons is taking a long time and/or stalling.
I thought it was just taking a long time as well, but I can't find any info in the log of SDEPG actually starting or doing anything until I manual trigger an update.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I thought it was just taking a long time as well, but I can't find any info in the log of SDEPG actually starting or doing anything until I manual trigger an update.
The longer than usual time is from all of those stations being cleared. I am looking into why this seems to happen on perfectly stable lineups. Basically when a station is loaded from the sdmd5sched file we also check the airing available on that station right now. If the station is No Data, we assume the entire station needs to be refreshed and the whole station is downloaded again. The problem is that for some reason I've seen this happen when there was certainly a normal airing in the current timeslot. I can see the issue with my own setup, so I will track it down and fix it. In the mean time it does make things a little less efficient, but not in any horrible way because it's just the airings being re-created, not all of the programs (which are a lot bigger and come with a lot more data).
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Sage Expert

That makes sense about the slow update. That part isn't a huge problem for me.

Any idea about why SageTV won't initiate the EPG update on its own anymore on my setup?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the 24 hour timer gets reset if a manual update is triggered. It always has in the past.

I was just looking at the EPG code and it see that came up with that 112 minutes because the last recorded 'maintenance' time (which wizard saves in sage.properties) was 112 minutes less than 24 hours ago. When 'maintenance' finishes it records the time again.

I don't know how manual update triggering fits into this but is possible something is just taking so long on your system that once it's gets stuck it won't run again because it didn't think it had finished yet. Somehow kicking it manually is shaking it free, at least temporarily.

I'm learning this as I go...
Old 07-21-2017, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That makes sense about the slow update. That part isn't a huge problem for me.

Any idea about why SageTV won't initiate the EPG update on its own anymore on my setup?
I believe you said you were using standby. You could try not using it temporarily to see it's a contributing factor. Other than that, I can't think of anything else to try since I can see in the logs that the updates are completing successfully.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Sage User

I having trouble with NO DATA on a quite a few channels using SDEPG. I tried deleting lineups and starting over but that didn't seem to help. Looking at the Schedules Direct site and pulling the XML it shows data for those channels. I also tried deleting my sdmd files. Any help would be appreciated.

My lineup is "En-Touch Systems - Cable - Sugar Land", zip 77459.

Thanks,
tsw
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
The current one is here if you want to compare and/or replace yours. Not sure why you still have what looks to be an old one.
https://github.com/google/sagetv/tre...r/stvs/SageTV7
I downloaded SageTV7.htm from github.com archive, renamed the installed v9 file (a slightly smaller sized file) and restarted SageTV. I still have the same problem ... no change.

Other ideas Wnjj, Fuzzy, anyone?

BTW, I'll be gone for the next week and without a computer. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:52 PM
Sage Expert

I made sure that my system wasn't in sleep mode today when the EPG update was suppose to occur (it should have happened at 7:17pm today - 24 hours after I last forced it to update).

This is a screenshot from the webserver showing when the EPG update should occur:

And then 85 minutes after the EPG update was suppose to happen, I took this screenshot:

I've attached the log file and my sage.properties file.

In the log file, there doesn't seem to even be an attempt to start the EPG updater.

Does anyone know what is going on? I can force another update, but I really don't want to keep doing that all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beforeupdate.jpg (15.0 KB, 368 views)
File Type: png epg not updating.png (11.2 KB, 366 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (379.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: txt Sage.properties.txt (152.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bott3322 View Post
I downloaded SageTV7.htm from github.com archive, renamed the installed v9 file (a slightly smaller sized file) and restarted SageTV. I still have the same problem ... no change.

Are you sure you're dealing with the right folder? Something is definitely not right if dropping in the SageTV7.xml file from github is still showing that 2 year old UI.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I made sure that my system wasn't in sleep mode today when the EPG update was suppose to occur (it should have happened at 7:17pm today - 24 hours after I last forced it to update).

This is a screenshot from the webserver showing when the EPG update should occur:

And then 85 minutes after the EPG update was suppose to happen, I took this screenshot:

I've attached the log file and my sage.properties file.

In the log file, there doesn't seem to even be an attempt to start the EPG updater.

Does anyone know what is going on? I can force another update, but I really don't want to keep doing that all the time.

The last thing it said was this:
Code:
Thu 7/20 21:48:21.083 [EPG@1f1c3b] EPG needs an update in 1288 minutes
Thu 7/20 21:48:21.087 [EPG@1f1c3b] EPG's works is done. Waiting...
1288 minutes (21.46 hours) later means it should have attempted at Fri 7/21 18:17.

When the Seeker dumps threads shortly before that,
Code:
Fri 7/21 17:39:34.053 [SeekerWatchdog@69ac90] Thread[EPG,1,main]
Fri 7/21 17:39:34.056 [SeekerWatchdog@69ac90] 	java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
Fri 7/21 17:39:34.059 [SeekerWatchdog@69ac90] 	sage.EPG.run(EPG.java:687)
Fri 7/21 17:39:34.062 [SeekerWatchdog@69ac90] 	java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
it shows that EPG is happily waiting (which it still should be at that point) at its wait() function which is where it parked after logging "works is done". The time it is supposed to wait was the 1288 it displayed previously.

But then 18:17 comes and goes without a peep.
Code:
Fri 7/21 18:15:38.955 [Ministry@16ca74d] Ministry is waiting for 180 sec
Fri 7/21 18:18:38.959 [Ministry@16ca74d] Ministry is waiting for 180 sec
Have you tried leaving your system awake for a full 24 hours?

For you Java guys, is something broken in Java that keeps the wait() function timeout from running when the computer is asleep?
Old 07-21-2017, 11:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

The file should be SageTV.xml, not htm (unless you typo'd there). It's 12.9MB.

Make sure there are NO other copies of that file on your C: drive. Some others have had issues with installations in "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

At some point, your best bet may be to copy your wiz.bin and sage.properties out to a backup spot, uninstall everything and then reinstall clean, replacing those after.

Edit: You can also try moving those backup STV's out of there (the ones with _2012031001, etc.). I don't know if sage will choose one of those under certain circumstances. Another user in the "guide data until 7/30" thread now has your issues too.

Last edited by wnjj; 07-22-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Sage Expert

I haven't left the system on for a full 24 hours yet. I'm completely disabled sleep mode just to see if it eventually decides to update on it's own. It will be about 5:30pm tomorrow once the system has been on for 24 hours straight. I'll post an update if anything happens in that time.

I think there must be something screwy with my configuration somewhere. I've been running a similar setup on Windows 7 for years (always sleeping or shutting down the SageTV when not in use), and I never had it just "forget" to try an EPG update. And I "think" things were working fine with the EPG updates for the first few days I had my SageTV server on Windows 10, but I'm not positive on that.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I haven't left the system on for a full 24 hours yet. I'm completely disabled sleep mode just to see if it eventually decides to update on it's own. It will be about 5:30pm tomorrow once the system has been on for 24 hours straight. I'll post an update if anything happens in that time.

I think there must be something screwy with my configuration somewhere. I've been running a similar setup on Windows 7 for years (always sleeping or shutting down the SageTV when not in use), and I never had it just "forget" to try an EPG update. And I "think" things were working fine with the EPG updates for the first few days I had my SageTV server on Windows 10, but I'm not positive on that.
Honestly, this could very well have been an issues for decades. Even if it is only counting 24 hours of uptime, it's likely that the updates would occur often enough to keep enough data that people likely wouldn't have noticed.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Honestly, this could very well have been an issues for decades. Even if it is only counting 24 hours of uptime, it's likely that the updates would occur often enough to keep enough data that people likely wouldn't have noticed.
I was wondering if it may have been. Perhaps just after installing people tend to fiddle around more, keeping it awake then don't check in on it much after that.

I couldn't get Google on the right topic when searching for "Java wait method computer asleep". It all depends on if the wait uses the real time clock or time ticks for the timeout.

The only other hint I found was that once wait timeout expires, the thread still needs to be scheduled to run. i don't know why it wouldn't, though.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
By chance, do you have evilpenguins Playon plugin installed? That plugin will force an old UI.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was wondering if it may have been. Perhaps just after installing people tend to fiddle around more, keeping it awake then don't check in on it much after that.

I couldn't get Google on the right topic when searching for "Java wait method computer asleep". It all depends on if the wait uses the real time clock or time ticks for the timeout.

The only other hint I found was that once wait timeout expires, the thread still needs to be scheduled to run. i don't know why it wouldn't, though.
I don't think I have ever looked at when or if the EPG was updating in at least a decade. As long as the guide has data, I'm happy.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I don't think I have ever looked at when or if the EPG was updating in at least a decade. As long as the guide has data, I'm happy.
Same here. Unless I happen to notice guide data missing, it's of little interest to me.